Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HowTo? F1 Brakes to Mod A axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Jun 18, 2021.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I want to use the complete F1 backing plates, spindles, king pins, brakes & drums on a Mod A dropped axle. Can it be done? yes, I've read all the threads i could find, so far I've come away with this: Yes, it can be done. No, it can't. Who has done it? can you tell me (all of us) how you did it? any details, part #s etc & pics will be helpful. thank you, mike roman (the junkyard pirate)

2. flatford39

flatford39

Everything is bolt on but you need to change the wheel bearings. There's a rod custom article I think on the whole swap. I had it but lost it with this new computer. I will look for my hard copy and send you the timken numbers later.

3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Speedway has a kit to put F1 brakes on 37-48 spindles. I don't know if those spindles fit an A axle, but you can buy those spindles pretty cheap.

4. Is there a solid reason for doing it in your case when there are so many other options?

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

if I am using EveryThing from the F1 axle but the axle itself, I shouldn't need to change out the bearings should I? interested in seeing the article, thanks

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i already have the Mod A axle & the F1 axle with all new brakes, wheel cylinder etc. just trying to use what I have.

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Don't think the F1 spindles will work, different size kingpin. The backing plates and drums will work with a little work, you have to grind the edge of the spindle to clear the backing plate and change the bearings. Did it years ago but don't remember the bearing numbers.

8. Check the KPI.

9. IIRC the king pin diameter is the same. Everything should be a bolt on if I am not mistaken.

10. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the F1 king pins to install the complete f1 spindles and brakes on a dropped super bell model A axle. The steering arms needed a little heat and bending. image1 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg IMG_0986.JPG

stillrunners, catdad49 and brEad like this.
  11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thank you for that information & the pics.

12. flatford39

flatford39

I used 46 48 spindles on my A axle. You need to install the 46 48 king pins to make it work. The article I referenced is for using the round back spindles and for those you definately need to change the inner bearing. The timken number is 14116. you will also need a Victor49195 seal or a National 450461 seal.
    Sorry it took me so long to dig this out but here it is.

stillrunners likes this.
  13. You can also trim the boss off the l/h spindle and use bolt on arms for use with a dropped axle.
    f-1 with arms.JPG

Phil P likes this.
  14. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

You can use the f-1 spindles it’s pretty much a direct bolt up you will have to heat and bend the steering arms accordingly

15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thanks, thats what I need to know