Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about tradition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jun 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Having made a living in the hot Rod industry, I have a different take on the subject. In my mind, it has always been “traditional” to use the newest and best parts when building a car. Just like Dick Dean and George Barris, I’ve taken two new cars from the show room to the shop. However, while they were traditional, the time frame isn’t correct today.

The HAMB is like the sites for civil war reenactment sites where they debate the correct buttons on tunic.

I built my cars for me.

SS327, AccurateMike, clem and 4 others like this.
  2. Jokester

Jokester

I'm curious how many of the 2-300,000 members have a car that would pass the "traditional" inspection.

kadillackid, Petejoe, clem and 2 others like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Devil's advocate...If we were to hold true to what Ryan defines as traditional, very few builds would be allowed on the H.A.M.B.
    350's, 8"-9" rearends, etc. are major no-go's. "You are a NO-GO at this station"

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I agree but it's still a 350.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

come on guys, for the most part a small block chev is a small block chev. We are not splitting hairs here. and 9" ford rearends have been around since 1957. Just don't talk mustang 2 IFS, late subframe swaps, Giant modern billet wheels, Efi modern engines and everyone will be ok. Oh and I would bet that My 40 Ford, Both of my 55 chevs, My Impala and my Corvette would pass the traditional inspection

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

come on man, you can dress a 350 to look like a 283, lets not split hairs here

7. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't been here long but from what I've absorbed, traditional is a style and a mindset. Compromises are made here and there for various reasons, some of which skirt the line, some of which are wildly over it. It's mostly about the look and attitude.

I think the Mustang II front end example is frowned upon because it's kind of a trifecta of wrongness for a traditional hot rod: it sticks out like a sore thumb, drastically alters the handling (to where even going down the road it doesn't "look" right), and it's viewed as the easy way out when setting up suspension on a built car. It's an 'upgrade' that a traditionally powered car doesn't really benefit from and just takes away a little bit of the car's novelty.

A well-disguised air conditioner, alternator, seatbelts, LED lights in original housings, etc. will be overlooked (or even lauded) because they improve drivability and don't alter the novel traditional character of the car. Replacing massive parts of the car with modern components does.

8. @Ryan had a MII in his 38 for years He downplayed it and even apologized for it. Just don't make a big deal about it and you will be fine.

9. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

Funny thing about this post is that if you ask a s10 question you are ostracized but on the other hand an s10 framed vehicle is highlighted in another thread. Shouldn’t it be about the cars and the cool factor?

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

S10 frame swaps are off topic. The Hamb has a very narrow focus. 65 and older cars modified in the styles popular in the same 65 and older timeframe using 65 and older parts. trouble is that people join up without reading or understanding the rules and assume this is a street rod site, they couldn't be more wrong....

here are the rules
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

11. I just skip what I dont want to read , accept we are all different , and have been very educated with found information on the hamb.Very glad it is as well run as it is , and look forward to reading it as many times in a day as I can .
    Mods do a great job here !!!

12. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

I understand the “rules” but ……

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the internet is a big place there are forums for every facet of the hobby..... the Hamb has a very narrow focus and is not for everyone.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Any ya just had to share that with me before lunch….;)

15. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

I agree and I am not trying to pick a fight but would this be considered hamb friendly? D035D904-B11C-4013-83A2-B1341BDEE485.jpeg

16. Budget36

Budget36

Well, consider the early days of a horse pulling a wagon, back then the wheels were pulled off, spindle/axel greased, then when put back on.
    Now consider when grease pumps came out, and “traditional wagon builders” drilled and tapped for a zerk fitting.
    Does the zerk fitting fit in the time frame they were not available?

By all means, build your car as you want it, but don’t try to push that on pre-66 builds, right?

48fordnut likes this.
  17. I got my balls busted for running a pair of Rocket Launcher front wheels on an era-appropriate (see how I didn't call it period correct? I'm smart!) 55 Chevy gasser, but you know what, it was valid. I was going for a specific look, and they didn't fit it. I changed them out for a wheel that fit the look I was trying to achieve. That's constructive criticism and it came from guys I respect on here.
    The drilled/slotted rotors on the car definitely don't fit the look, but screw it. Nobody here has gotten their pocket protectors too bent out of shape about them. :D
    Basically if you're not a mook about it, guys here will let a lot slide, especially in the name of safety and even convenience sometimes. If you're looking for constructive criticism, this place is great. If you're a dick and you're looking to get your ride cut up, this place can also be great.

Squablow, Guy Patterson and Blues4U like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If the headlight are the modern Mercedes units that the openings make it look like then no

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Disc brakes and modern transmissions always have gotten a pass here in the name of drivability

20. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

Ok I will continue to use the hamb for inspiration but not post any pics

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like that the HAMB tries to maintain the traditional build theme. And I don't think those overseeing it are too restrictive either. I've seen cars and parts shown here that I thought might get the axe, but were overlooked, and I was fine with that. I've also seen guys continuing to post topics about their MII or Camaro subframe swap, and get the axe; only to wonder why and start the same topic again. I wondered if they just didn't read the guidelines when they joined, or didn't understand?
    Way back when I joined here I got grief from a knothead just because of my user name. Fortunately another person stepped in and told him my post was very traditional, and user names could be almost anything.
    I try to keep my builds traditional, and if something I do is a question in my mind, I simply don't show it in a post. There's only so many traditional parts left out there, so there are times when I use some modern parts, and I try to make them as traditional appearing as possible. I've purchased fairly new bucket seats, and not just removed the headrests, but also cut the bases for the headrests off, and reupholstered them in old school style upholstery.
    I don't think it's too hard to stay within the guidelines here. Just read them, and don't post it if it's not traditional.

48fordnut likes this.
  22. I go by the maxim that if it looks right, it is right...

If the full-on 'traditional' yardstick was applied to every part on every car, this place would be a ghost town.

I do think that some guys get hung up on the 'traditionality' of some parts as well as displays of originality. I recall pics of a period-built '34 Ford coupe posted a few years ago that a few 'traditionalists' started picking apart because some of the unique features it had weren't 'trad'...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. It’s really funny,,,,,,,was the MII front end pre 65 ?
    And besides,,,,,pretty much Everything here about a mustang is OT,,,,if I remember correctly .
    No problem,,,,,plenty of places to discuss Mustangs on other boards ,,,,just not here .
    The moderators allow a fair amount of latitude,,,,but certain aspects they draw the line at .
    Sorry !

Serpentine belt billet systems,,,,,sorry.
    Big billet wheels,,,,,sorry .
    Anything billet,,,,,pretty much,,,,sorry .

Paint,,,,,well,,,,most anything is okay,,,,it is a Hot rod and custom site .
    Almost any safety related item,,,,brakes and such,,,,,okay .
    Modern wiring,,,,,kind of necessity,,,,most older wiring is kaput .
    Just use good judgment,,,,,and careful photography skills ,,,,and it is overlooked usually .
    And don’t feel too bad if it gets deleted,,,,,every moderator is human and feels different on different days .

This is the Hamb,,,,,and like Walter Cronkite used to say,,,,,”That’s the way it is “ .

Tommy

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Besides that, it looks like you've set it up for air bags, and those aren't kosher here either.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I didn't say there was anything wrong with them..... ;)

J. A. Miller likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I picked the headlights because it was easy to spot, I would bet that most of the build doesn't belong here. I wonder why someone building an obvious "resto mod" (I hate that term) would choose to hang out here. Surely there must be a forum that caters to modern builds??

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m trying to. I have to defend my build to every one who wants me to call 1-800 and order parts. That`s why parts gathering is taking a long time. Just found a trumpet horn and an unbroken exhaust manifold. Scan0751.jpg

Blues4U, Moriarity and Just Gary like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if anyone who makes parts out of billet aluminum knows that you can design them to look exactly like cast aluminum, down to the "cast" texture, and any irregularities. One pass in the bead blast cabinet takes the shine off. There is no need for them to look like crap. It is just lazy.

I 3D scanned a badly broken brass part from a fire truck under restoration, and "fixed" in the program. It appeared exactly like the original. Waves, hand tool marks, texture, and finish, just no breaks. The owner artificially aged it, and then re-polished it. It is undetectable.

Not traditional methodology or technology, but a traditional in appearance part. Was not cheap, though.

29. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

The word kustom

klleetrucking likes this.
  30. Custom yes,,,,,but not Kustom in the traditional right .
    Those are late model MB headlights openings,,,,,and air bags are not traditional .

Sorry,,,,I believe Mr. Moriarity is on once again.
    To be honest,,,,he doesn’t miss much,,,,,,,I didn’t catch it at first .

Tommy

Guy Patterson, Blues4U and Moriarity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.