Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Raybestos Roadster Pick Up - 10 Years later

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

jnaki, wicarnut, Louie and 2 others like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Can't see the pix... Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

No video here

5. Click on the Watch on Vimeo tab.

6. Yep, that works for me too.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

As much as I like a good drawing, the flaws jump out at me,just like they do in a photo or car show,but I give a little more leeway to them in a drawing. The vid's didn't open for me,so don't see photo of real world. Like all the other times I look at many of the rod builds by big high $ shops{ who are often though of as so super,but are just builders that also make mistakes},miss the boat in some places. Some really do live in a BS bubble an others may be just doing what the customer ask< who lives in a bubble too. What always bothers me,is rear tires used with big OHV high HP V8s. At the time OHV V8s came out/an by the time they were around enough to use in hot rods,tires of 7 to 9in. wide tread were EZ to get,even bigger by the late 60s. That means if $ were there in a build,forsure the wide tread tire would be used,if builder is not brain dead. If on the other head,the power is a flathead V8,I'm happy with a narrow tire/but big for the time of Flatheads. One of many mistakes that keep being done,out of not knowing or just picking a part of one old real photo an mix with part of a new photo cuz,n thinking they go together,when they do not,as ideas of a design. Not talking HAMB rules,just real world.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    RJP likes this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Oh, the beauty of air brushing.

9. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Hard to believe that was ten years ago...

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Right you are Dana. I would look at some of the renderings from Boyd Coddington's car's and if built to the drawing they would be unable to drive. One was a Deuce three window and if you took a compass and followed the outer edge of the front tire it would be halfway thru the front fender top. Some of the Ford renderings from the '40's made the car look about three feet longer then it actually was.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. cretin

cretin

What a blast from the past. That was a fun build. I'm proud of that car, I'd love to see it again, I hope that truck has been thoroughly enjoyed throughout the last 10 years

rod1, lurker mick, K13 and 3 others like this.
  12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I personally like it and it's not like they were trying to build a car that fit HAMB rules.
    Looks like they weren't afraid to autocross it with those wheels/tires.
    [​IMG]

lurker mick likes this.
  13. The VIN

The VIN

RPUatKaties.jpg RPU _Open.jpg View attachment 5093839 View attachment 5093839
    Thanks to Chris Nelson for the heads up. Can't believe it's been a decade! Yup - still got her and intend to keep it that way. Couple of loose bolts, but otherwise still pretty and perfect. In fact, I recently moved to a warmer/drier climate and have been planning to get her out the road again, and much more regularly. Guess this means I should stop procrastinating. Hope all is well with everyone, and thank you for remembering this story! Vin

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Nice you still have it, how about some pics.

kidcampbell71 and A Boner like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember sending in an entry for that. Car looks a lot better in Vin's photos than you imagined from the drawing.