Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Project and some Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I bought a 57 chevy 4 door sedan today. It has some rust, some in the floor, doors have some minor rust, the worst is at the very rear panel and inside the trunk at the bottom of the wheel wells. Car spent half it's life in Calif and I got 4 rust free doors off a Calif car. Extra deck lid, no rust, and a extra hood with very little rust that has been acid dipped and then sprayed in epoxy. I've got a lot of extra trim also. Going to sell some stuff once I get it all sorted out and see what I'm going to keep. I got the disassembled 283, it's really a clean block, no ridge, 12 V generator, pulleys and brackets, starter and I know there is more but I can't remember right now. I have 4 14x7 alum slots in nice shape, they'll sell quick and new foam for the front seat. Once I get it all sorted out I'll get pics and maybe have some questions on what some of this stuff is worth. I have the PG trans but I know they're not worth anything. Hoping to get this done tomorrow and get the car in the garage.

chevy57dude, loudbang and Torkwrench like this.
  2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Nice. 57 Chevy 4 doors are cool. I just found a new frame for my 57 4 door sedan. It's even a "California Frame"....That was built in Janesville Wisconsin. LOL!

57 Sport Sedan Jr Stocker.jpg 1968TulsaWorldFinals-1968-02.jpg My 57 Chevy 2011.jpg

3. Pics man, we need pics .

sounds like a solid car

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

It's got it's problems but better than anything you can find around here. Didn't even get it unloaded today, busy plus if you tried to go outside it would decide to pour down rain, that's all it's done for the last few days here. I did get a few things gone through, I knew there was a 12 V generator and I found another one that has the P/S pump on the back, I wish he hadn't disassembled the 283, it's a really clean old motor, no cylinder ridge and I even found the exh manifolds. Maybe Sunday I can get it in the garage and up on stands, going to a benefit cruise in tomorrow with the plymouth. I need to figure out what I can sell and what it's worth to help fund this project. Shipping has got so dang high it's hard to make a dollar anymore.

loudbang likes this.

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I promised pictures of my new project, I finally got around to getting a cable to put them on my lap top. Floors have rust, drivers side front is the worst and I also included a pic of the rear fender well. Trunk floor has one little hole. I think I'll put a complete floor in, it needs several of the braces and by the time you buy floor panels and braces, it'd make a better job by replacing it all. I'm going to move the rear wheel wells in 2 inches, I'll deal with that rust then. All glass is good except the windshield. I got all the trim, plus extra but I need both eyebrow pieces that go on the very front of the front fender. I have 3 really nice rust free doors also, the 4th has some damage. One of the worst jobs will be at the very rear of the trunk, the outside rear pan has 1 little hole but the rear of the trunk floor that goes underneath it needs replaced. I think I found a replacement panel for it if it's the right one, not a real good description of it in the ad. Wish it was a 55 2 door but my budget couldn't afford that, plus it's the year I was born!

Attached Files:

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

This is the stuff I'll sell, just need some idea on the price. I listed the 14x7 wheels for $300, I guess it's a little high since I haven't had any takers, I'll drop the price on them. The 283 is out of the 57, no idea why they took it apart. I have the block, heads, pistons and rods, nice looking crank, oil pan, valve covers and the valve train. 2 generators, one with a P/S pump. I'll have extra trim, not worried about it yet. I did get new foam for the front seat with the car, about crapped when I found out the cost of seat covers. It'll be a slow process but hopefully I can drive it next spring. I'll have the rear end, rear springs and the front drum brakes to sell also, going disc on the front and a explorer rear end narrowed to 56 1/2 inches. Front end is all in great shape, including the stk steering box. Car shows 21000 miles and there isn't any wear on the brake pedal pad at all so who knows on real mileage. Steering wheel only has a couple small cracks. Car will go back the original color.

Attached Files:

chevy57dude, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice project. I love the tri-five Chevies. The only advise I would share is don't be in a hurry to sell off extra parts until you are along far enough with the project to know in fact that they are extra!

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Only parts I'm selling is what I know I'm not going to use. Wheels I don't need, I stuck them on Market Place, I did drop the price to $250. The generators are on the, I think I listed them $75 and $125, I figured the one with the P/S pump would bring more. Was hoping someone on here would give me an idea on price but that didn't happen. I hope I can find a local person to sell the 283 to, I hate to see it set around and rust up. I sprayed it down with penetrating fluid. Going to stip the interior and start on the floors, was going to try and put a complete floor section in but on top of the $900, they want $275 shipping from 2 different places, I'll just buy the separate pieces, the toe board section is good so that helps. The rear wheel wells and the rust at the very rear of the trunk is going to suck. I'm going to buy Real Steel's inner wheel wells, adds like 2 inches more tire space and it also will get rid of the rust at the bottom of the well. Those are over $400. One thing at a time I guess, I want to pull the body off the frame, if I can find 2 cheap engine stands I'll make a rotisserie and that would make the floors a ton easier.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.