Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removable Exhaust Silencer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EPeters85, Jun 15, 2021.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I can’t imagine a 3” system on anything under a car you could ride in for any length of time. The off topic vehicle I referred to had a 40 series muffler that was replaced with a 70. An anger had to be added due to reverb drone. I had to add additional deflectors before the tips.

Just Gary likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ahh, yes. I remeber pushing my Flatty T bucket with zoomies down the driveway into the road before starting it....

3. squirrel

squirrel

huh...I put close to 100k miles on my 55 with a blown big block, headers, 3" full exhaust, and big enough mufflers that it was reasonably quiet inside.

firstinsteele likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that we all have a different tolerance level for exhaust noise in anything we ride in. I've got tinnitus pretty bad from flying as an observer/gunner in scout Helicopters with A-1/9 Cav in 1968. Too many hours of flying and shooting a machine gun. That and a lot of race tracks since. Loud exhaust sounds great as long as I am not in the rig on a road trip.

As far as the size of the OP's pipes, his car, his money his ears. Not the same as Jim's Nova where he may make a through the mufflers pass at a drag strip reasonably often but not our business. Or maybe he has the engine and the time slips that show that the exhaust isn't oversize.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. When I was sixteen I washed dishes at a Shakey's pizza place. The manager, about 21 years old, was such a prick to everyone that one Friday night we shoved pizza dough up the pea shooter of the exhaust pipe in his Saab. Used a broom handle to stuff it as far as we could like loading a cannon.

Someone mentioned the NPP exhaust on Corvettes, that might be a good option. @VOETOM might have a suggestion too.

6. Put a quiet-ish exhaust on it with dumps. When you leave the neighborhood open the dumps.

3" exhaust is a little large for an SBC. I run 2.5 on mine most of the time unless they are pretty high zoot motors.

Elcohaulic and Just Gary like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim it seems like my Saturday morning get togethers are bludgeoned with “sound alike” 500 inch big blocks with big cams and 3” exhaust systems. I’m not the only who feel they are obnoxious. Yes we are all in our 70’s with tinnitus.

8. squirrel

squirrel

The size of the pipes doesn't really make much difference, although it is easier to find quieter mufflers in smaller sizes. But you'll find 3" mufflers on lots of modern trucks that are pretty darn quiet, if you have room for mufflers that big.

9. 16238844123497677983844440019370.jpg
    Get these.
    Put them in the ends of your tail pipes.
    Drill one hole and put a 1/4" bolt in it with a wing nut to retain the insert when you want it.

EPeters85 and Just Gary like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

I dunno. In the morning start, put on some silencers. Fine. Get a few blocks away, stop( maybe let them cool a bit) and take them off. Store them in the car

Head home , stop, put them back on. Drive home

Seems like a lotta work effort to go through.

If you are that concerned about noise in the neighborhood, even though it’s a new exhaust, options I see are cut outs , or just make the exhaust quieter.

One thing to think about, if you feel the way the car is may annoy your neighbors, why not be considerate to the rest of the places you drive by?

Reminds me of NIMBY.

LWEL9226 and squirrel like this.
  11. EPeters85

EPeters85
    from No.VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yeah like I said earlier - this would primarily be for cold starts, tuning and farting around with engine...anything where I'd be giving it juice and making noise above idle. To be taken off before departure, no need to be put back on to come home since I don't drive like an as*hole.

It doesn't seem like a lot of work. In fact, some of the ideas thrown around seem quite simple. And like I said previously as well, the car is not that loud and obnoxious (but its all relative, right?). I'm just trying to be mindful of napping babies and old people within 50' of my house to maintain good relationships in my peaceful neighborhood.

chevy57dude likes this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I just received my 3" race bullets and a few 3" elbows for my Fairlane, it has a rowdy idle and a loose converter.
    I don't care what the neighbors think.

13. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I run straight pipes on my flathead, most of the black smoke dodge trucks that go by drown it out. You need to watch Cheech and Chong's next movie where Chong rolls his Harley into the neighbors rose garden and revs it up every morning.

Elcohaulic likes this.