Register now to get rid of these ads!

A survivor that I missed once by 10 minutes came home with me Fathers Day weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel3window, Jun 29, 2012.

1. SPEC

SPEC

Great story and 35.

2. Mart

Mart

I enjoyed reading your story, and can empathise with the pain you went through but the pleasure of getting the correct paperwork makes up for it. Good job for persisting with it.
    I have a registration request in process now so hopefully mine goes smoother..

Mart.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    steel3window likes this.
  3. chargin03

chargin03

Great story Cool car!

4. Budget36

Budget36

What a post!
    In 2016 you mentioned a young lady that Steve Minor spoke of, her last name was Strode.
    I don’t have the vaguest idea at how long @Marty Strode has been in Oregon, but I wonder if there is a relation at all?
    It would be kinda neat to add more :).

All that said, I have a sad spot about you needing to sell the car. I know you don’t have a life long type of deal with it, but still has to be tough to see it go.
    I hope it finds the home it deserves.

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. mgermca

mgermca

Thanks for the update, glad you were able to get it sorted.

Sent from my SM-A505W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I currently have the car advertised for sale, and someone from Spokane called on Thursday, and is supposed to arrive tomorrow afternoon to take a look at it.

Meanwhile, I received a call yesterday from CJ Carlyle who lives in Aloha, Oregon on the car. He said that I don't need to tell him anything about it because he knows the car, and almost bought it in 1962 From one of the Steves for $750!

He said that he and his wife, Sherry (Last name then Dody)who went to school in Sutherlin with Steve Minor They had just been married a couple weeks prior and he couldn't come up with the cash to buy it, so he didn't get it. CJ went to school in Oakland, OR. and lived there at the time, moving to Aloha in 1966 to became a pipe fitter.

He told me he currently owns the Miss Taboo 1956 chevy (google the car, it's definitely worth it) and just wanted to see the car, having missed it so long ago. When I told him it may go to Spokane, he said he would be at the Spokane Speed and Custom show this upcoming weekend, I believe with Miss Taboo. Hopefully he sees the '35 there, and can reminisce about a car that got away...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may be my last entry about the car after almost 9 years. I sold it today to @modelamotorhead, so it's headed to Spokane to be part of The Dukes Auto Club.

It was a bit bittersweet to watch it leave. This is the longest I have ever had a car in my possession, but I know it is in good hands!

Thank you all for reading along as I chronicled finding it's history, and creating more history here on the H.A.M.B.

I'm not sure if Mike will add to the posts here as he enjoys the car, or start his own thread. It will likely be the latter.

I will post a link to the thread here as soon as he starts it.

Good bye 'ol girl, I will miss you...

20210614_153910.jpg

Jet96, VANDENPLAS, hrm2k and 5 others like this.
  8. This thread has been a great journey!

kidcampbell71 and steel3window like this.
  9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

082 (3).JPG
    Here's my '32 with a new stable mate, she is lonely no longer! She told me that she really had a "thing" for '35's, so I set her up with this nice looking one....told her that he was from way back in the good old days, and she was very impressed. Don't know yet if I will keep this thread going or not, I ain't as adept with English language as steel3window is, but I can tell a pretty good story at times and I try not to embellish them too much (read B.S'n). So a new chapter begins for the '35 and I will try to make it a good one. View attachment 5092268 View attachment 5092270 View attachment 5092268 View attachment 5092270 View attachment 5092268 View attachment 5092270 View attachment 5092268 View attachment 5092270

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    JD69, Jet96, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  10. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Whoopsie!....Fell asleep with my finger on the full size attachment button

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I sure hope you do keep the thread going! You can get rid of the extra pictures, just click on "EDIT" and you can delete the extra pictures one at a time and select "SAVE CHANGES"

12. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Wired up the brake lights today, working on the "death wobble". Put 10 miles on it and the flattie runs smooth as silk. As we were setting up some Model A's for display at the Fairgrounds for tomorrow, I met CJ Carlyle while he was setting up Miss Taboo for the show, nice guy and what a car!! The '35 will be at the Spokane Speed and Custom show tomorrow and Saturday... parked on the grass....Pix to follow.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

'35 is starting to make it's presence known in Spokane. Lenny Bush's '39 convertible sedan, Mike Zink's '33 pickup, and I all cruised to the Fairgrounds together. Lenny entered his '28 woody roadster pickup and his '30 coupe. A couple of pix of Miss Taboo and the original Miss Budweiser unlimited hydroplane. Summer's heating up! 064 (3).JPG 058 (3).JPG 061 (3).JPG 062 (3).JPG 060 (6).JPG

14. 4ever18

4ever18

Congratulations, sir. I know just how you feel! 514EEAA4-78F3-4557-BC2D-660E8E927F2F.jpeg

VANDENPLAS, rod1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

worth every bit of a broke dick...great story...thanks for sharing...

16. SPEC

SPEC

Great story.

17. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

35's still runnin' like Jack the Bear. Haven't changed a thing on it as that would be total sacrilege. It does have radial tires on it now and I had the radiator cleaned out. Runs cool even on 90 degree days now. That flat motor is a good one, I drive it almost every day when the weather is nice. 086 (2).JPG

18. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Awesome. Very cool car. I'm so glad the idiot street rodder didn't buy and fit a sbc auto and independent front. That car deserves to go to a hot rodder who appreciates what it is. Good on you.

steel3window likes this.
  19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a lucky car. It has been owned by so many people that have really cared about it. The memories each person have with it. I think Henry Ford would approve. Great story.

VANDENPLAS, LWEL9226 and steel3window like this.
  20. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I lied!...I did make a small change...A real nice BLC fog light (there was an unused switch on the dash and I just had to put something across it!). 083 (2).JPG 098 (3).JPG

21. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@modelamotorhead Great to hear that you are enjoying the old hot rod! I'd love to see a shot with the new treads.

It is a bit surreal seeing the car here, but in your garage. Sometimes I feel like I could walk out to the garage and still see it sitting there.

Cheers to you sir!

22. What a fantastic story too to bottom .
    This is truly a rolling piece of history .
    Thank you to everyone involved to document it here and preserve this ride.

this hot rod epitomizes what the Hamb is all about !

23. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

New radial skins...rolls sooo much better. 101 (2).JPG 102 (2).JPG

steel3window likes this.
  24. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Went to breakfast last Sunday at my favorite Ma & Pa kitchen. Drove "Kermit" and parked next to my buddy's '53 'vette (really nice restored 'vette) and then a beautiful'65 Malibu SS ragtop pulled up on the other side of Kermit and kind of hid him. Guess which car got the most inspections and comments when folks arrived and left the restaurant?? Hint......It wasn't the Chevys.

JD69 and steel3window like this.