Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does zinc additive turn to sludge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Have a good trip man, relax and enjoy the adventure.

2. 20 at hot idle? Shoot, that engine will run forever like that. I’ve seen a lot of Cummins 855’s that don’t run much more than that at full load on the governor. You will be fine, have fun and please keep us posted.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  3. Thanks bubba, wish you could be there.

4. Worst part was when the lifters got mad, that scared the hell out of me! I'm sure it's just wear. If you're in gear at a stop light, it'll drop lower, but I'll just click it into neutral. Still has a solid 50lbs going down the road. Hell I'll put rotella in it :D

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they have taken the zinc out of rotella too a couple of years ago... Valvoline racing oil, 20w50....

6. 90 weight gear oil? I'm just trying to make it live for about 500 more miles :D;)

warhorseracing and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if you are worried put some STP in it....

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

or use strait 50w or 60w valvoline racing oil....

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

honestly though 20 at hot idle is more than enough

10. It has valvoline 20w50 in it. It's quiet and runs great. But I'll put this 283 together and stick it in there.

11. just drive it, I beat the living hell out of a 318 that had pretty much zero oil pressure at idle and about 30 pounds cold, ran for years. Even 10 psi at idle is plenty.

as a side note, I run plain old oil in all my old cars, no fancy expensive oils or additives, they seem to live, I drive my stuff a ton.

12. Add some Lucas oil stabilizer Works great, protects.

13. I looked for stp at the local parts store, no dice. Just a small joint.

14. I was trying to find the latest zinc content for the T4 Rotella.
    The info I found stated 1200ppm for zinc and 1100ppm for phosphorus.
    Any you guys have any other info?

15. Buddy has a 53 F100 sbc that has had 5psi for 10 years. He changed the gauge to make sure it was right, but he drives it everyday. As long as my lifters ain't starving I'm ok with it.

dirty old man likes this.
  16. Never thought about it, all i was thinking was thick oil lmao!

17. Rotella still has zinc in it, the ISB Cummins still uses a flat tappet camshaft. That is the Premiere medium duty truck engine. Rotella has to be formulated to keep that engine alive.

mad mikey and deathrowdave like this.
  18. 1ton

1ton

Go for the road trip. Leave all your cares at home and have a blast. And if it launches a con rod thru the block, just contact the HAMB. Somebody will bring another small block to you wherever you are. Find the nearest tree and change it out right there.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

my mistake then, I think that I read here a few years ago that the removed the zinc... you know what they say about "I read it on the internet". I am still going to stick with Valvoline vr1 racing oil

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Havoline is one of the highest detergent oils out there. It breaks all the sludge and trash loose and plugs the filter and sometimes the oil pump pickup screen, especially in older motors

22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I hunted for the highest zinc content I could find. Lucas Hot Rod and Classic Car, 2000 ppm. Rotella wasn't as high but much better than standard grade modern detergent stuff. This whole shebang started when Joe Gibbs was burning up race cams @ very high rpm under tremendous loads (urban legend?). The market started under those conditions. It's probably overkill for street rods but it sounds good :D

Joe

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That is standard in all my engines, lawnmower to the Detroit Diesel in my Freightshaker. Never lost an engine due to not having oil pressure with Lucas in it.

That was my experience with it, too. Fine in a low mileage engine, but in older engines it will clean everything out, not always what you want.

Last 350 Chevy I ran would drop to near zero pressure idling, and run 50 psi going down the road. Never rattled a time. Put a quart of Lucas in it and idle pressure jumped to 25 psi! 65 psi going down the road.

24. I am a big fan of Honda 10-40 MOTORCYCLE oil gn4 . it has a great additive package, contains lots of Z.D.D.P to handle the 12k plus rpm of the gear boxes.
    @Blues4U have you done ant research on this?

25. That's my engine! I'll stop and pick up a quart and try it once i get there.

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Not so much. Of course there are several different brands of oil using the Rotella name, but good old mineral oil, Rotella T4 15W-40 still has around 1200 - 1400 ppm of zinc, that should be plenty for just about any street, or street/strip engine.

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Doesn't take much psi at idle, If it has decent pressure, Above 30, down the road, run it. I wouldn't twist it past 7500 but....... lol

alanp561 and Johnny Gee like this.
  28. Guess who got laid today? My crankshaft :D gonna stick this 283? (.030 over) together and throw it in my wagon. All of my parts came in so i figured i might as well get to work. Check out me assembly lube ;) 20210715_171513.jpg 20210715_172302.jpg

mad mikey, AGELE55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Let the comments begin as to why not to use it.