Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 47-54 Chevrolet pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Jun 16, 2021.

1. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

Okay need a little help from the AD guys I have been told that the radiator support inner fenders off a big truck 1 1/2 ton or bigger will still work on half ton sheet-metal that the inner fenders were the same across the board just the hood fenders and grill bar spacing is what changed in the big truck don’t have one to compare to any of you guys verify one way or the other yes or no thanks in advance

mitch 36 likes this.
  2. I wish I could help, but am interested in the answer here since I have a 2 ton as a parts truck. Thanks for asking the question.

3. Here is a link to an inner fender that states it is compatible with 3100, 3600, 3700, 3800, and 3900.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/171706716386
    You could double-check parts compatibility of other parts catalogs to be sure.

4. squirrel

squirrel

here's the parts book. If you have trouble figuring it out (it's complicated) let us know, we can teach you how to use the parts book. Hint: first know what the model designations for both trucks are, then find the group number for the part you are intersted in using the illustrations, then find that group and look up the part numbers for the year and model you want.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/index.htm

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The core supports are the same but the inner fenders are completely different.
    Top one is off a 51 4100 note that the line where the inner fender bolts to the fender is several inches out of line with the bolt holes where it bolts to the cab and the curve of the fender where it bolts to the cab.

This is how you tell the difference between fenders that aren't on truck too. That raised portion above the two top bolt holes that bolt it to the cab show that the top fender is a big truck fender.

Second one is off a 3100. note that the bolts that bolt the inner fender to the fender are in line with the holes that bolt to the cab and not raised out of line with them like they are on the 4000 fender. IMG_1522_LI (3).jpg IMG_1525 (2)_LI.jpg

The Bent note is because I just figured out that that inner fender that I have had saved back for over 30 years is indeed bent at that spot.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    302GMC likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a big truck hood setting on my 48. A quick id is that the back corner of the big truck hoods comes around to a hawk bill point. Back corners of small truck hoods are rounded.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the big truck fender when it is on the truck the back edge sticks up several inches above the body line for the hood for the small truck.
    [​IMG]
    Top of small truck fender lines up with the body line on the cab.
    [​IMG]

Radiators are the same height and have the same bolt hole locations between big and little trucks.
    Core supports as far as I know are the same for both but 47/48 have the mount holes to the frame in the middle while 49 and later have spaced out mount holes.

Big truck grills are about 1-1/2 inches taller or maybe a tad more. The bars will swap between the big and little trucks though.
    Note: each grill bar goes in one specific spot and the three middle ones don't interchange up or down.
    The back side of the bars have either 2, 3 or 4 notches to show which position that they fit.
    [​IMG]

squirrel, 302GMC and Budget36 like this.