Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Glass fuze size chart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrailerTrashToo, Jun 15, 2021.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Glass fuses are often used in traditional vehicles, The length of the fuse is proportional to the Amperage rating for SFE fuses.

20210615 Glass fuse size chart.jpg
    This chart is on a Littelfuse brand box of fuses. The short one (SFE 4) is rated at 4 Amps. The longest one (SFE 30) is rated at 30 Amps. I am not familiar with the AG fuse rating system.

20210615 Glass fuses in holder.jpg
    The above picture shows a 20Amp rated fuse holder with 4 Amp, 6 Amp, 14 Amp and 20 Amp glass fuses.

Personally, I use blade fuses and have switched to the fuse blocks with a LED indicator light that glows red when a fuse blows out. I'm a retired electrical engineer and I have a good understanding of why new cars no longer are built with glass fuses. My off-topic truck has 37 states on it and my often-deleted Volvo custom has a round trip to Lead Ain't Dead - All the old-fashioned fuses are replaced with blade fuses.

Note: This fuse holder, and a small collection of new glass fuses are going to @1Nimrod - Someone has to keep the traditional builds pure.

Russ

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Thanks for the additional information - Lots of it I did not know.

Russ

loudbang likes this.
  4. Actually neat to know for us stone age builders ! Thanks to both of you for posting !

loudbang and stanlow69 like this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have some of those around here and no use for them anymore

loudbang likes this.
  6. Garpo

Garpo

Re British fuses - These were usually installed with a current load of half their "blow point"
    i.e. a 50 amp fuse was good for 25 amps continuous; would blow instantly at 50 amps.

loudbang likes this.
  7. So, in a case when you don't have the right fuse, what's the amp rating of a 22 caliber long rifle? (for those who aren't aware, there are TRUE stories of boneheads using them.... and the 'interesting' results)

LOST ANGEL and Roothawg like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went looking for some glass fuses for an OT truck the other day and had to go to three places to find a fuse. They can be hard to find now.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Great info .

glass fuses are getting harder to find, the kits can be bought at industrial equipment suppliers and motor rebuilders .

I’ve not had luck finding glass fuses at jobbers.

and what about the European ceramic fuses lol
    Haven’t seen a new one in .......... sheesh ever !!

10. 1ton

1ton

Man, how would you like to be at a convention for the Society of Fuse Engineers. Lots of hot topics to talk about.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

My new servo motor sewing machine has some oddball size glass fuse. Had to order spares off of Amazon, no one locally had them. I ordered 10, in case they become obsolete.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

But I bet all the topics would be current.

X-cpe, '28phonebooth, Truck64 and 6 others like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Back in the late 80’s I bought an assortment of fuses, must of had 100 or so of assorted sizes. Probably still have 75 left.
    Just have to remember where I last put them.

VANDENPLAS and Roothawg like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The electronics shop down the street from me has a wall section for glass fuses of every size/amp rating, slow blow and fast blow type. A lot of electronic equipment still use glass fuses.

15. squirrel

squirrel

The electronics stores used to be a good place to shop for fuses...before they all closed.

they still have them at local parts stores. Also available new online, from several sources. And nos on ebay.

Blues4U likes this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now the problem is remembering where you put the spares.:cool:

17. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

European ceramic fuses are a bigger headache than the glass fuses! I gave all my corroded ceramic fuse blocks to a Volvo restorer.

A Russ wacky definition: RESTORATION: The art of lovingly returning all the original design flaws and failure points to an old car. NOTE: RARE PARTS are those parts that failed prematurely during use, consequently are in short supply...

Russ

Blues4U, Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Look for old fuses at garage sales. I found a bunch at a sale for a couple of bucks.

19. Great information guys! All my old cars still use these. So far, between ones I have saved for years and very few that have blown recently, I haven't had any issue needing any. However, I also can't remember the last time I tried to buy any at a local parts store.

20. We have a great store here. All the little electronic bits you may ever need Their site does not show it but it is chrissupply.com

squirrel likes this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, Jim's right, I used to have about half a dozen good electronic stores near me, plus Rat Shack. Now I'm down to the last remaining store, these guys:
    http://www.orvac.com/

There are a lot of online sources yet though. I use to be able to buy vacuum tubes at several local sources, that's all online these days (or I rob them from old electronics I purchase from garage/estate sales). I used to get all my high voltage caps from Orvac, they've stopped carrying all the high voltage stuff, it's all online now.

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my go to place in Riverside. In addition to electronic stuff including glass fuses, they sell shrink wrap tubing in 4 foot lengths in all diameters.
    https://www.electronicswarehouse.net/

23. SR100

SR100

I enjoy them. Short presentations on current topics and the British delegation is down to earth.
    :rolleyes:

24. brading

brading

Like TrailerTrashToo said the big problem with creamic fuses was corrosion at the ends causing no end of problems.
    My mate was on a loading shovel elctrical course, before the trainees done their fault finding the instrutor had taken the end off a glass fuse so it broke the wire near the end then he put then end cap back on so that it looked good and replaced it in the fuse board just to confuse the trainees.