Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mis-named Automotive Equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jun 13, 2021.

1. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Gm is gm because they make engines and ge is called ge because they make motors, clear enough

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Usually referred to as a "Birmingham Screwdriver" in one workshop I was employed at -just one example of the continuing banter between engineers from southern England vs those from the midlands manufacturing heartland.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cam followers, camshafts do the lifting even tho the parts man will look up lifters…

loudbang likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Valence.. always been to me unless it was replaced by a rolled pan or roll pan.

twenty8 and loudbang like this.
  5. X-cpe

X-cpe

One I've heard - front quarter panels

I thought you joined the Navy to ride the WAVES.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slip joint pliers, water pump pliers, are channel locks to some by manufacturers name, 420’s or 440’s too, an old guy I worked when was in my 20’s called the Oscars. Lineman’s pliers are Kleins but up on a pole they are hammers.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have heard an intake manifold referred to as a "center head".

8. Chin spoiler
    Air damn
    Ground effects
    Front plinth
    Skirt

I’m sure there’s more

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. Everybody knows that an 'engine' is the front part of a train. Not a piece of the front..... the whole thing.
    They were steam-powered..............? Unless they were made by Lionel. Then they were electric-powered engines. :p
    Oh, And those train 'engines' were running around on tracks while horses remained the only way to move people and freight on the roads for the next 80 years. Then cars were finally hatched.

Historical tid-bit:
    "In July 1886 the newspapers reported on the first public outing of the three-wheeled Benz Patent Motor Car, model no. 1." Carl Benz, the inventor, titled his invention a "Motor Car" but within the text of the patent application, he also mentioned “vehicle powered by a gas engine”. The two labels were then and are now basically interchangeable. But I guess we also have to credit Ol' Carl with inventing a game called "Picking Shit With The Chickens". I see that game played by us a lot around here. :rolleyes:

Desoto291Hemi and X-cpe like this.
  10. A locomotive has an engine

loudbang likes this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cherry picker.
    Never saw anybody using an engine hoist to pick cherries.

12. j hansen

j hansen

It will be SLÄGGA in Swedish

Baumi likes this.
  13. RmK57

RmK57

Garnish molding. I guess the term is correct but it just sounds a little fancy for rubber molding.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope , garnish mouldings are generally the metal trim that go around the interior to hold window glass in . Window rubber is rubber .

clem likes this.
  15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BFH ,Chevy wrench. AFS ,Any F***N size , adjustable wrench.

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Disagree. For those who can't accept the term "rim" for the whole metal part of an automobile wheel...well, you technically can't call that metal part a "wheel" either.
    Wheel
    NOUN;

A circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to give a mechanical advantage and enable it to move easily over the ground.
    In general, it would be the sum of ALL the parts (including a tire) that actually meets the definition of a wheel.
    can-of-worms.jpg

17. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, but a locomotive can have a steam engine that directly powers the train, or a Diesel engine called the prime mover that spins a generator or alternator to provide current to the traction motors that propel the train and lastly there are electric locomotives that get electricity from an independent source to propel the train. No engine in the electric locomotive, only electric motors.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^
    Sorry @Fortunateson ...sometimes I just can't control myself;)

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Norwegian Socket Set"

jimmy six likes this.
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Adjustable Wrench - Fitsall
    Bulkhead - firewall (the auto companies don't like 'firewall' 'cuz that means you could have a fire)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Cigar lighter or cigarette lighter.

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short, as in "2 cool shorts standing side by side"

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread reminds me of one of the very first hot rod terms I ever learned.

I remember reading Rod & Custom magazine the first few times and wondering what these "wishbones" could possibly be that were frequently being mentioned.

24. Many call this a Fag lighter, but I think this means something else in other places!
    Where do you put your muddy boots? In the boot, of course!
    I have many shifters in my kit, some imperial, a couple of Metric, and one BA.

Stueeee likes this.
  25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

;)
    I'd assume it's the chromed glove box door.;)

swervyjoe, jimmy six, twenty8 and 2 others like this.
  26. brando1956

brando1956

Older customer came into my NAPA store and asked for a saperstein belt for his Olds. He was a regular and old friend. You mean a serpentine belt Max? Never let him live that one down.
    Kid who was another regular came in and asked for a tapper cover gasket. Had fun with that. Both were guys I knew well enough to have a few laughs with.
    Then there was the old guy who got all pissed off when I didn't know WTF a "burr" was. When I told him I guessed I wasn't old enough to have ever heard a nut called a "burr" he really got pissed!
    Just a few of the more memorable ones. When you work a parts counter you hear all kinds of crazy shit and I've forgotten most of it.

27. spanners

spanners

Channel locks we call multis or in most cases when they are a bit sloppy in the pivot and pinch my finger or knuckle I call them an expletive as they sail across the shed floor.

28. 1ton

1ton

My very first job title was Petroleum transfer engineer. And then there's the petcock. Who knows what Dagmars are?

clem and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. j hansen

j hansen

Dagmars.... Skärmavbild 2021-06-16 kl. 13.50.43.png