Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone brought their hot rod from the USA to run Pendine Sands recently

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adam401, May 13, 2021.

1. adam401

adam401

Well I think the title says it all. I have an interest in bringing my car to some international events to have some life experiences. Any cool guys been doing this? Im really interested in the shipping and running the car dynamic. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  2. fastlayne

fastlayne

Interested as well

adam401 likes this.
  3. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Hi guys, I have no involvement with pendine, but as far as I,m aware it's always oversubscribed so you may find that you wouldn't be able to race. You have to remember that races are held as and when the tide of the sea allows. Hope this helps

loudbang, Blues4U and adam401 like this.
  4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Entry requires membership of the VHRA and entries open in about October on a first come first served basis and are sold out very quickly, so not something you could do without serious planning (in addition the the serious planning!). I did the first 3 and they were fantastic, especially the first one.

Chris

loudbang and adam401 like this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would worry about the shipping part, especially Customs on both ends.
    Had a friend ship his dragster to New Zealand not to bad going down,, but at the US border the car went into Customs Jail/Prison for months. Customs had a problem with what was shipped with the car.
    Another race team shipped their finished car and Customs wanted a big duty fee, the only way to stop it was to ship it back to Norway after SpeedWeek, they had hopped to stay over for other land speed events.
    So it might be best to ship an 'unfinished' project in pieces, check with shippers and fellow rodders that have shipped vehicles.

adam401 and loudbang like this.
  6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There's some information on bringing a car into the UK on a temporary basis here https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

You can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it in the UK if all of the following apply:
    • you’re visiting and do not plan to live here
    • the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
    • you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total - this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months
    This page has general information on bringing vehicles into other countries: https://overlandingassociation.org

adam401 and loudbang like this.
  7. Documentation that backs up your intended plan will help. Customs probably has to deal with peeps who say one thing but do another all the time. Create paperwork for things like the return trip booking, the registration for the "race", even copies of the back-n-forth messages with the event(s) sponsors.
    You wouldn't go there without a plan. So why not show them your plans in black and white? An once of assurance is worth more than a pound of "I promise.... I swear to God".

adam401 likes this.
  8. Good necessary information. It sure beats piss poor planning.

adam401 likes this.
  9. GeeRam

GeeRam

Well, you can definately say no one has bought a car to Pendine recently from the USA, as no one has ever brought one over from USA.
    As said already, you'll need to be a VHRA member for a start even before any other considerations are taken into account.

adam401 likes this.