Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Midway Drags at Mid America Dragway Coverage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Slopok

Slopok

When you don't remember that you were there, then it's time to worry! o_O

Roothawg and guthriesmith like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey guys. First off thanks for coming up and supporting us and thanks for the pics you have posted I’m working on getting pics together currently to post still trying to get stuff together I had a thread here on the hamb and we tried to promote is the best we could yes we are gonna have it again next year and hope to continue to do it from now on I will post a link here and on the current thread to pics and such yes it has a 72 cutoff but we are very picky on those later cars and there won’t be any twin turbo ls powered pro touring stuff allowed at all lol. This is a lot like meltdown drags and hamb drags style event low key no money and a few trophies for kool stuff and none of that trophy shop stuff all hand made stuff the car count was low this year but we had quality and that is more important than quantity we hope to get the event to grow and continue and the only way to make that happen is for everyone who came and enjoyed tell a friend or fifty friends lol and come next year as soon as we get some more details ironed out for next year we will start promoting and hope to have a Friday night event as well as the race on Saturday once again thanks for coming up to support us and please tell a friend and look for more info to come on next years event

3. chevygirl1975

chevygirl1975

We will do this again next year. You can follow Hot Rod Sanctuary on Facebook or Instagram for updates.

4. Thanks for putting on such a cool event! Looking forward to going again next year. We really enjoyed it this year even with the small turnout. I will definitely be telling others about it for next year and hopefully I will actually drive up in an old car next year. Just drove my kids daily so we could have A/C (which apparently quit the day before). Oh well, I should have just driven my daily so I could have parked in the car show area...lol.

Thankful that you all will be doing it again next year. But, many of us on here aren't on FB or IG to get the updates. :D

5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yeah I’m not a face box person either lol and yes we have a car show and even swap meet too though we didn’t really get many of those but hope to grow both what’s a good nostalgia event with out an opportunity to buy vintage parts at the swap meet area and plus we like for people to bring their kool rides and show them off if they don’t want to make a pass lol

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a question. I know this is still early, but do you know if the date will be the same every year?

The reason I ask, is the Custom Car Revival was the same weekend. Just wondering if there were anything concrete on that date or if it was just an arbitrary date? I know you can't dodge everything.....I've been there, I get it.

Someday it would be awesome to get my junk back at the track.

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Roothawg I for one would love to see the dragonfly on the track again as many others would too this just happened to be the date we were able to get this year I’m sure it will be along the same time but not sure on the schedule for next year we try to avoid everything else including the rain lol but sometimes things can’t be avoided On another note my good friend crab took a bunch of photos at the event here is a link to his pictures
    http://www.crablogic.com/Images/Drag Racing/Midway Drags 2021/midway2021.html

mad mikey, Roothawg, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. vinfab

vinfab

I would like to thank Wrenchbender and all the others who helped put this on. I and a couple of buddies drove down to attend this and we all agreed that although not a large event, we had a great time. Hopefully, it will grow. Nice mix of cars, the canopy over the grandstand made spectating comfortable and we found out the track is an old WW II training Air Base for a bonus shot of history. THANKS AGAIN GUYS, and we will be back.

9. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

I will echo Wrenchbender and say thanks to all of those who came and it's onward and upward! This track is perfect for this event and it will only get better with time. We have a couple of things to adjust and some tuning to do but this was a great start to an annual event that will scratch your nostalgia drags itch if you live in the midwest. We did spend a lot of money on advertising this year but word if mouth is the best way to get butts in the seats so we appreciate anyone who can help us spread the word. We lease the track for this event so our neck is stuck out so to speak. But that way we can have control of the "period correct" aspect of the participants. Thanks to wrenchbender, chevygirl1975 and Doctorterry for all of their hard work and dedication.

10. Thanks for the comments and for all you all did to get this event pulled off. I know there is a lot that goes on to coordinate an event like this, and from a spectator perspective, it was great! Glad you picked MAD for the event!

On a side note, I also really like your 57!

Roothawg, mad mikey and Tater Bug like this.
  11. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Thanks brother!
    It's a part of the family. I've had it since I was a young 'un.

Roothawg, mad mikey and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Very cool! I just went and found your thread where you were going through the car. I will have to spend some time going through it all. :cool:

mad mikey likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been involved with hosting events for the last 20 years. No one appreciates how much risk and work goes into an event. I think if you follow the SEGA model and stick to your guns, it will grow, probably faster than you want. I don't do a lot of events because they are all "nostalgia events" but everything under the sun is included. Stay true to your vision and it will be a success. You guys are gonna cost me a lot of money, I am afraid.

Tater Bug, mad mikey and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I was really looking forward to this but miscalculated recovery time from some surgery.
    I’ll be there for sure next year though.

15. Not good Tim! Pray you are doing better now.

Roothawg and mad mikey like this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thank you.
    Yes, I am but too late. Haha

Roothawg, mad mikey and guthriesmith like this.
  17. This looks like a fantastic event. I will be watching to see what materializes . Great work pulling this off to all involved. This is just toooo cooool. Thanks for the pics, alot of cars I am familiar with. :)

18. larrydawg

larrydawg
    from kansas

Awesome !!! I build my rides comparible to how a teen would build a hot rod in early Mid 60's.
    Big or better engine, drum Brakes and loud !

mad mikey, guthriesmith and Roothawg like this.
  19. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

loudbang likes this.
  20. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the pics, Jeff :)

Did you get a good look @ that burgundy Poncho? That's a very cool ride, different. Don't see many early Tempest on the strip anymore. Looks like OHC six-banger in there.

Joe

loudbang and Tater Bug like this.
  21. Yep, it was pretty cool. Still had the Pontiac 4 in it even. I pay attention to those early Tempests since I am a closet Pontiac guy. I had a couple GTO's, a 62 Tempest convertible for my wife, a few early Firebirds, etc. Strangely enough, even though I currently drive a Ford, I mainly know Chevrolets and Pontiacs and that is most of what I played with years ago.

loudbang and Joe Travers like this.
  22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Cool :cool:
    Thanks for the scoop. Always liked those cars but don't know them well.

Joe

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  23. Not sure if I can make it but I have it on my calendar!

loudbang likes this.