Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm getting old!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Just turned 73 in May. So I'm working on the 52 Pontiac, putting in lowering blocks. Normally a fairly easy job. Not today! It fought me all the way. Everything seemed to go wrong. Of course it didn't help that I was working on my back (no hoist). As a result, I only got one side done. Now I feel like I went a round with Conner McGregor. I hurt all over. Can hardly wait until tomorrow. Maybe getting too old for this tomfoolery. 20210417_094036.jpg

2. BJR

BJR

I'm 71 and have realized that if you quit doing stuff it is really hard to get back into it, body wise. The old saying "use it or loose it" is correct.

3. Yep. Me too, I’m almost 75.
    Recovery seems to take longer every year, and what used to be easy isn’t.
    Guess we should count our blessings that we’re still kicking and enjoying (?) our hobby.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Spring chicken.......what happened? :(

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You made forward progress, which is a good thing!

6. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I can hardly wait until I put in the Aerostar front coils.

7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

BJR is correct. I have never been a runner or a walker, figuring that is the reason that I got my driver's
    license. The kids have always enjoyed a good laugh about it. So when my 40yr old son came over to help
    me reinstall a 4 speed in my '64 Belair, which took a couple of hours and involved numerous up and downs
    for tools and jacks, he remarked.."Dang, Dad, you may not get traditional exercise like walking, but I was
    exhausted after helping you with the tranny.. I'm pretty sure you can include that as part of your exercise
    regimen. It took me two days to recover!" Pretty funny.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  8. I’ll give you 50 bucks for the hood ornament on your tin Indian if it’ll help. :D

But then I’m only 70, what do I know. Neat car.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So this is what I have to look forward to in 4 or 5 years? And I thought my 60s were tough! I already hurt for a day or so after a day in the garage.

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think we hurt after working on our junk when we were younger but didn't have time for it.
    I remember being able to have a cup of coffee before bed when I was 35 and crashing as soon as I hit the pillow, now sleep is a minimal thing.

11. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

You all inspire me to keep going and that's not easy these days.
    A Big Thank You and Hang in there to all my HAMB Big Brother's.

1Nimrod

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20210614_213958.jpg hey, even young guys have aches & pains - so, only got one lowering block in today - just do the other tomorrow or whenever - even with a lift lowering blocks can be a challenge - sometimes feel like a turtle flipped on it's back

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  13. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Much of it is mental. I'm 66, just got a clean bill of health, but often don't have the will to work on my 55 T-bird. I had a goal of finishing restoration at 65. My goal, now, is to have it back on the road before I kick the bucket, and I wouldn't take odds. However, Gil Baumgartner retired from restoring cars at 83. My stepfather, also 83, continues to work full-time (by choice) as a forklift mechanic. For some, work is what keeps them going; but for the life of me, I don't know what keeps me going. Maybe it's my cats.

14. loudbang

loudbang

I was good all the way until I hit 70. 70 wasn't bad I still felt like a youngster but as soon as I hit 71 things started going downhill in a noticeable way. And yea I sleep a lot less now than before. :(

15. twenty8

twenty8

Every day spent on the right side of the dirt is a good day. Make the most of every single one.....:)

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Be 72 next month. Takes me twice as long or more to do anything on my cars now. Spend most of my time picking up something I dropped or looking for something.

17. exterminator

exterminator

This month, i will reach 69 Lord willing .Now days i enjoy driving my old truck more than working on it. Thankful that i have a 35 year old grandson that lives close and is willing to help when i need it and likes old cars as i do. I look at projects for sale both here and on craigslist and have to remind myself that i need another project to build like i need a kick in the butt! Oh well, it's fun to look.

18. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

The same for me. Sigh.

loudbang, 41 GMC K-18 and wicarnut like this.
  19. I am 80 years old. My mind says that I am 35, but my body says otherwise. I have a workshop in my cellar where I keep busy with Stromberg carburetors. I am not laying on my back, but after several hours leaning over the workbench I need my Tylenol. As an acquaintance told me " if your mind and hands are still working, you are doing fine". I agree. Be thankful that you can still do something, and not just looking out the window, or at a boob tube all day.

20. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

What used to take me a day or two now a week or two

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad is 75, he just bought a new tractor trailer to pull his trees home from the woods... He´s got one with a crane now, cause winching them up was getting on him lately. He hopes it´ll last for the next 15 or 20 years, until he retires. My grandma will be 99 this year, she still has plans... I figure, it´s good to have more plans and projects than time. Good health helps also. Granny had severe cancer issues in her 50s.She likes to pronounce that she is just too stubborn to die...

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Remember limbering and warming up before a big sport game or practice?
    I wonder how many of us take exercise seriously.
    I don’t do it daily (I should) but before and after a hard physical job, I do all the PT exercises taught me back when I’ve had injuries of my back, legs, neck and shoulders. It really gets me back moving again quickly.

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

You're not alone Buddy. I'm 73 and it seems to take forever to get things done, but I still manage to "Git-R-Dun" 4-5 hours at a time, skipping some days for the pain to subside some, I'm on the nothing happens fast anymore plan. The big take away for all of us IMO, keep plugging along as If we stop, We will stop and Then it's Over. The best tool I ever purchased was a 4 post lift, suggest you look into this as the up/down laying on the creeper is a young mans deal. I was inspired by a fellow carnut last Saturday at a show, this man has been fighting cancer issues for several years now, his ticket has been punched, refuses to give up, was there with his latest build and when walking back to my car I'm thinking what am I whining about, Life is Good. Everyone, Have a Great Day !!!

24. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

When uncle Arthur comes to visit it seems like he never wants to go back home.....lol.

loudbang, 41 GMC K-18 and wicarnut like this.
  25. Won’t my projects all be done and my cars run trouble free by the time I get to seventy? Seriously be safe keep keeping on.

26. Oilguy

Oilguy

I also am getting up there in years; 72 until October. One thing I have always strived for was to keep my work area clean and tidy. But now it has become a necessity as leaving an extension cord or welding cable on the floor will surely result in my tripping over it and landing on my face. Same thing goes for tools, spills, parts, etc. Every step I take has become a planned event. But still I am having fun.

27. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

And a good day is......

joke.png

28. I find, as I 've traveled thru the 70's that lowering yer expectations helps a bit . I start a project and, if it's going well I slow myself down a bit and tell myself that I'll continue moving forward until I reach a logical or comfortable point at which to stop. At that time I generally survey what's been accomplished and resolve to continue at a later time, and , generally within a month or two I jump right back in, recharged and ready to go.

29. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Welcome to the club of diminished strength and aches and pains. It still beats being underground. At this point, each new day is a gift not to be taken for granted.