Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods steering damper question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1947coupe, Jun 14, 2021.

1. 1947coupe

1947coupe

Wondering if there is a way to fit a steering damper on my 47 Ford axle, are they made or can I covert something.

2. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

3. fordor41

fordor41

I used an early Ford Econoline dampner. Clamped to axle and tie rod. Also try one for a VW.

jimmy six likes this.
  4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend used one from a jeep Cherokee. [​IMG]

5. You might be better off using the money to replace worn front end parts. Dampers are not needed for a front end with good parts.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While using a dampener to compensate for worn parts isn't wise there are plenty of reasons for a rig with a suspension and steering in top condition to feel or be a bit on the jerky side.
    Rims that have too much offset with or without wide tires.
    Steering wheel that is several inches smaller in diameter than the stock wheel. Less leverage and the wheel movements seem larger than they actually are.
    The main one, the driver is not used to driving a rig with a solid axle and manual steering be it two or four wheel drive. When you climb out of your daily with power everything and no real feel of the road into a car with manual steering and leaf spring suspension you feel like you are herding it rather than driving it.,

I'd say that there are plenty of fairly universal steering dampeners available though local 4x4 shops that can be adapted to that 47.

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a damper on each of my old cars all with tight suspension. I like the way they smooth out the road feel. On my 40 we made a simple clamp on the axle and attached the other end to the tie rod. Works great. I get mine from P&J's

2OLD2FAST, Tman and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. pitman

pitman

Mr48Chev, all good insight, times are when the damper does help. I set up my recent 'A' w/the 'proper' front end geometry, found that it didn't need one.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I added a So-Cal damper to my old Sedan Deliv. and it made a noticeable difference in how the car handled. Wouldn't run a straight axle car without one. Clamps to the tie rod and designed to clamp to the lower 4 bar...you may have to fab a bracket/clamp to mount to a wishbone. 32b.jpg

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  10. fordor41

fordor41

"Dampers are not needed for a front end with good parts". Check almost every new pick-up truck uses steering dampeners

2OLD2FAST and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I use one on the Econoline axel on my 57. The front end has all new parts but it still enhanced the feel.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I put one on this old pickup, and it really made a difference. Bizio Seattle.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Your experience is duly noted , others ,however , may have or had different experiences & made different decisions .

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To each his own said Mrs O'Leary before she kissed the cow.

I get it, know why it can be desired even with all things being just so. Would I? Nope. I wouldn't want to quell the actual feels that can ONLY be experienced with old technology. If I didn't wanna smell gas fumes I'd go electronic fuel injection. If I didn't wanna smell exhaust I'd build and tune for catalytic convertors. If I didn't want to be a little warm on a July afternoon I'd add AC vs opening the windsheild. Can ya smell what I'm steppin in? Can ya?;)

Still, I don't like raw oysters or sushi but I bet I can find a good place for either if someone wanted to know. I may not be able to help with what/where/how and how much but the adivce of P&J seems fairly sound to me. I'd trust them before some 4X4 shop. Not that I don't like 4X4s either. All 4 of my DDs are 4 wheel/all wheel so no not being a dick, this time...

Texas Webb likes this.
  16. I forgot to mention in my post above that my F-150 was a special order vehicle......maybe I overlooked the steering damper option or simply forgot to check that box. But...the salesman did point out the radio antenna racoon tail option...said radio reception would be better in rural places where I live.....so I definitely checked that box!

Texas Webb likes this.
  17. fordor41

fordor41

amazing, that's why P&J's sell steering dampeners for their front end kits.