Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 ford nose piece

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Jun 14, 2021.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend was in need of a nose piece for a 40 deluxe. There doesn't seem to be any out there-out of production. I found a couple in my stash that need a bit of work and rechrome. Both are orig-one has a bit of pitting at the rear-the other had the tip broken off behind the latch-repaired with small pins-solid now-this part doesn't show when on the car. Called around-$600-750!! Pass!!-parts etc have gone thru the roof!! IMG_3621.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. yup, its actually more cost effective anymore to buy a decent 4 door, take the parts you need and part out the rest. I did that years ago with 1st gen camaros and 60's chevelles, but that was before a rusted out hulk would sell for 4 to 5 grand........

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one I repaired is presentable-not perfect but pretty nice-he can look at it and run it if he wants it.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Prices are getting out of control for sure.

chevyfordman and olscrounger like this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ this-agree-have a complete 40 std setup in attic-grille, two nose pieces,v8,s etc-all new except grille which is NOS Ford-enough for one more car--thats it.
    Friend Joe has the same stuff too but has 3 stds so he is hanging onto those pieces as well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

1940-ford-coupe-on-factory-assembly-line.jpg Perhaps Your Assembly Plant Is Headed Towards Post War Production olscrounger...

7. I sold a 40 standard piece a couple of years ago at the swap meet in Commerce, the chrome wasn't perfect but I let it go for 50 bucks. :rolleyes:

Sold it too soon. HRP

5window and olscrounger like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, the prices for ALL old Ford body and trim parts are through the roof. Kinda makes me nervous at times to take my '40 or my Hiboy when I go North through Atlanta to gatherings involving most of my hot rodder friends, including almost all members of the SFCC.
    The Xways there are full of nut cases. Speed limits mean nothing. Try driving 55 and you'll get run over, so drive 70 to keep up and then some fool passes you like you're standing still, only to get off at the next exit!
    Lately thee trend has been that if they are unhappy with someone's driving they just pull up beside them and start shooting!

9. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Yep,no longer being reproduced.Standards are still out there but deluxes -like hens teeth.$400 is about the going rate at the moment.

olscrounger likes this.
  10. Was a discussion a couple of years ago about the 'not repro'd anymore' nose piece and fit issues I'm sure you were part of that olscrounger!

Given the age of most of the people that wanted these kinds of parts, I can understand a supplier's reluctance to fund another production run in a shrinking market. Maybe the lesson is to buy what you think you'll need sooner rather than later because when stocks run out, they won't be making any more. At least expensive to tool/make things.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen deluxe nose pieces sell in the $850 range--standards still around but not many--same with grilles

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ..............OUCH!

olscrounger likes this.
  13. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I would think that with that kind of demand the suppliers would step up. I'm sure they didn't trash the molds when they stopped production.

14. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Wow! I could use a good head release, mine has a small crack, but I think I’ll live with it….

stillrunners likes this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ might have one--how did wiper towers turn out?

16. Great, just f**king great - hood noses, wiper towers...how in the hell am I supposed to put together a basket case '40 I've had for 42+ years (and sold parts off 13 years ago thinking I wouldn't be able to keep it) if I now have to rely on crappy old parts needing restoration? Seems like all I can do now is keep scrounging the swap meets and find turds to polish. "Oh, the pain - the pain of it all..."

17. Should we talk about 41 Ford pick up nose chrome ? Just picked up a nice 41 hood for my project....

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^friend has one for sale-there 40 wiper towers in the parts for sale section too

19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I’ve just sent your pair to the platers, see what happens. Let me know in the hood release

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Son in law picked up a 40 nose piece from the platers today--said it looks good--will give him another one to see what they say-not cheap though. At least I have a spare now.

21. alchemy

alchemy

You guys have got me all worried now. But I did pick up an uncracked Standard nose at the swap meet on Sunday for $10. It needs chrome, but at least it's all there.

lothiandon1940 and stillrunners like this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two I'm gonna get pitting repaired then see how they turn out-other one still in chrome shop. Not cheap to do! My friend who I'm helping downsize sent me a pic of many 8-9 stds--condition unknown from photos--may ck em put pretty soon

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you decide to get your nose piece replated be aware that the plating process tends to pull the radius that fits the hood in, making it smaller. A good plater must be aware of this and take steps to prevent it. Otherwise you will have to "grind it to fit".

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you-good to know!

Bigmac48 and lothiandon1940 like this.