Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Comment on the wiper washer pump & reservoir suggestion for burnouts.

When working at a car bulletproofing business in San Antonio .. we used that setup to blow antifreeze into the hot exhaust manifolds. For a smoke screen effect. To my knowledge, it is still the same today.

( Executive Armoring Corporation now known as Texas Armoring Corporation. )

I see no reason why one couldn't do the same, in the rear wheel wells, & perhaps floorpan level .. with multiple nozzles, & pumps.

They are very durable, obviously .. in the wiper well of our dailies. But also for prolonged activations for smoke screens.

Yep.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So you built the whole car from scratch and you didn't build it so you could work on it. :confused:

enloe, Thor1, milwscruffy and 3 others like this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep that is about the size of it. Actually it doesn't matter how you built it, there is simply no room in the trans tunnel area to do much of anything. And because the cars design is so low slung the entire transmission is up in there etc. I have access to it from the top and bottom but the easiest way to pull it is just pull the motor and it out together. Something we have already done about 20 times. It is more of a pain in the brain to have to go do it again to a totally completed car.

Thor1, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Randall you have plenty of time to pull that thing out and fix it but we all know there will be a repeat of Sunday afternoon when the mighty mopar will be towing a Ford back lmao thanks again for the help

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Why a Silver Sport clutch? Just curious., lot of choices out there.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Look at the bright side Randall, the 25th time you have it apart will be the Charm!! Thank goodness you guys have problems too. I was starting to think the Hot Rod gods had put a curse on me. two steps forward and six steps back! And it is always because some part I paid good money for to a name brand supplier dose not fit or work as it should. Keep accessability in mind when you and Pop get back to the Thames! I am thinking flip up funny car style body mounts . Larry;)

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Silver Sport came highly recommended for the Tremec and after talking to him and describing what we were doing etc, Jack Silver himself recommended the clutch. So I took his advice.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Did he explain the need for the clearance; like the fingers move for increased pressure? I went to the site but found no information. ""So I took his advice"". Ok, now you get to take it out. Tell him to come over and help!.

Thor1, Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  9. Traction-enhancing spray
    It was a rare option on the ’69 Chevy Camaro. A special “Liquid Tire Chain” aerosol could be sprayed on the rear tires to improve traction on snow or ice. Best as I can tell, it was a one-year wonder Screenshot_20210603-134952_Chrome.jpg

Thor1, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Silver gave me several references for the clutch and I called and talked with two of them. They were extremely happy with the clutch and Silver's knowledge and tech assistance etc. I am sure it is something we did wrong. We may have simply burned the thing up. I found out it will not smell. We were supposed to break it in before hitting it hard. I decided to break it in like I was going to drive it. That may be the answer or part of it right there. I sure thought we were in the middle on the measurement but maybe we missed it. It wouldn't be the first thing in the PAST FEW WEEKS that we discovered we "jacked" up. LOL

11. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Is it a hydraulic clutch?
    If so what type fluid is in it?
    How close is the clutch slave to the headers?

Had a problem with my daughters O.T. car when I replaced the clutch slave and put in regular brake fluid in.:oops:
    The 4 cylinder engine compartment got hot in about 45 min and the regular brake fluid expanded enough to disengage the clutch :eek:
    When car cooled down it worked fine o_O
    O.E.M. D.O.T. 4 fluid solved the problem,

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

Have any freeplay between clutch master and pedal? Same thing happens to brakes too.

Good old linkage worked great for years. Not sure why hydraulics started taking over.

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are using the high temp fluid provided by Silver Sport. No header heating issue anyway.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Check for free play at the pedal and at the release bearing.

ottoman, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the Cobra is obviously not going to make it to Ark City which we were really looking forward to. Sorry, I have not had time to update here for a while. Not to mention I am completely lost with the HAMB App. Hope the big guy gets something figured with there... Anyway last weekend we pulled the motor and trans to have look see.

Resized_20210605_124137.jpeg What a mess. We knew we had to come out a pretty steep angle and my daughter was following the transmission tail out with pan but with the motor all but out and hanging precariously I had to reach over and push the trans down so the shifter stub would clear the firewall. When I did that, I actually moved the car a bit (doesn't weigh much without the motor and trans LOL). We had two jack stands on the crossmember area and after my tussle, one was only on by about 1/2 inch. So I had to quick snag the floor jack and come from the backside (because to the cherry picker), I knocked over the pan with trans fluid. From that point, the car was secure be we lost all the fluid to the garage floor. James said it looked like we killed the poor thing with all the blood on the floor. LOL

Well we didn't kill the snake, but apparently after we got it apart, we did kill the clutch!

Resized_20210605_122213.jpeg

Resized_20210605_122218.jpeg

Resized_20210605_122221.jpeg

Resized_20210605_122246.jpeg
    So as you can imagine, I am not terrible impressed any longer with Mr. Silver's opinions on high performance clutches. I am currently shopping for another. It will likely be Mcleod twin unit. That is what I had in the Austin at nearly twice the horsepower etc. But I doing the correct amount of research right now before I take that plunge again.

Resized_20210605_184702.jpeg
    But for this weekend we are definitely out of the race. I am planning on taking Dad's coupe to support the event, but sorry boys, no Cobra!

enloe, warbird1, Nostrebor and 4 others like this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

All good things take time. Did you check see if the clearance spec was in the ball park?

17. loudbang

loudbang

Dam that is a mess. :(

18. OUCH... that hurts!

Thor1 likes this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's why I am running a cable clutch in my SEGA super stock 65 Comet wagon. I was warned a hydraulic setup couldn't exhaust the fluid quick enough to let the clutch lock up and their would be slipping even with a-4 line.
    Too bad you are having problems. Have you checked with Spec clutches . That is about the only thing we haven't broke this season.

Flyineatride, tomkelly88 and Thor1 like this.
  20. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

Look at Ace Racing clutches, made in Sullivan, Mo. I know the owner and some of the folks that work there. Nice people. I think they are making a name for themselves.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep Seb, my clearances were still perfect (I knew they were). AND nothing had "Moved". LOL So just a crappy clutch in my opinion and dumb choice on my part. I was going back with Mcleod before they talked me out of it etc. Always go with your gut.

I am still shopping around!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    0NE BAD 51 MERC, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like Midway Drags were a good time at Mid America. I mentioned earlier we were getting Dad's couple ready to go to at least support the event. Then Thursday afternoon I got my final (second) Covid shot. Honestly I was not expecting much out of it but it pretty much knocked me on my backside. Long story short we did not get to attend.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Might be worth talking to the guys at RAM clutches.

24. I wondered why I didn’t see you there. Now, I know. Hopefully you are feeling better by now. It was a pretty good event and I am looking forward to next year.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a 9" RAM diaphragm pressure plate with a RAM six puck metallic disc with sprung center in my OT 6cyl Comet. Since there is no Marcel at the pucks it is basically on or off. It has aggressive engagement driving around town; you will stall the engine or spin the tires until you get the clutch linkage adjusted to your foot/position and travel distance. Since it is seated now taking off is pretty smooth, might make a noise like a belt slipping once in a while. Under heavy load it grabs pretty smooth, may slip a hair but heat makes it lock up. Disengagement is instantaneous when you tap the clutch to shift; it will catch you by surprise. I got this clutch because I wanted something stronger than stock and Mustang Unlimited had this clutch package [only HD one I could find] with a 50k guarantee! Ram probably has a larger dia assembly to suit your power as would Hays or Mcleod . 72 Comet Clutch--9 in Exedy PP-Ram 6 puck metalic-PP and Fly.jpg

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am about 98% leaning towards the RAM guys. I had a great conversation with them yesterday
    and I really like them. I have some measurements to supply them tonight so they can get down and
    dirty with making sure we have proper clearance with a dual clutch set up.

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I am an H.A.M.B. Alliance Member again. I just got my notice and signed on again.
    I have to tell though, not having the phone is app is killing me! LOL

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guys at RAM are building the new clutch. They (and I) really wanted a dual unit and they have a very nice piece and will stand behind it. The issue we have is very little room and I mean it is tight. The RAM throwout I have in there now is 1.75" and no way to reuse it. They are sending me their newest and thinnest unit 1.5" and I still have to find some room. So I am doubling up on my scattershield plate which will give me and extra 1/8" and that will just barely do it. I will have my .200 clearance with no shims etc. Just push it all in there and let her rip! LOL

AndersF, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's not much room for clutch wear as the release fingers will move out as the disc wear. :confused:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  30. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The picture of Zoe sitting next to the car with her phone is cute. She has that classic "What Ever Dad" I am NOT cleaning that up!! lol Look on the bright side Randall , the law of averages that everything will go right has got to be shifting to you pretty soon. The good news is after following you and Jackson ,Norb and James, and becoming paranoid that guys with your experiance have problems I was doomed from the start, but in the end she poped and purred like a kitten,

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.