Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cragar SS Tribars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corn Fed, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Are these Cragar SS tri-bar spinners anything to get excited about? The bars have an indented cove that the new ones don't have. I don't know my Cragar's very well but they seem like they are early.

Cragar.jpg

Deuces, kidcampbell71, bowie and 3 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

they really dress up the wheel - new re-pops are available

Deuces, Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Yes....they are worth more than you might think. The new ones don't have that indented area on the arms of the spinner, new ones are smooth. People value the earlier style....ive seen sets of 4 sell for $200-$300. Chrome needs to be shiny though for best results..

Deuces and Moriarity like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

On the front of the old T Bucket. Old Bucket Cragar.jpg

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I kinda thought they might be special. A local 18 year old kid's Dad died this spring and he wants to sell off some of the stuff he inherited but doesn't know much about cars and values. I'm trying to help him not get taken.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That is nice of you to help him, those tri bars probably are not real valuable unless the chrome is real nice.......

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The chrome isn’t very nice on the spinners. And the wheels are rusty, crusty and in bad sizes: 14x6 and 15x10 unilugs. So I was thinking if he could get $50-$75 out of the wheels themselves he should take it. I guessed the spinners would be worth more than the wheels, so maybe another $100 for them?

Next up I’m gonna have to research the going rate of SBC M/T valve covers for him. I’m thinking the skies the limit on those since @Rocky single handedly drove the popularity of them way up!
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/m-t-valve-covers-seem-kinda-cool-again.1146524/

9. alchemy

alchemy

Never thought I'd live long enough to see Cragar SS's and M/T valve covers be the "in" thing again. But here we are. The 70's are cool again. If you find some Tru-Spokes in the stash let me know.

10. Budget36

Budget36

I hope you mean per wheel?

If close I'd buy them 5 minutes ago for 50-75 for the lot.

I used to work at a station in south phoenix, we'd get the guys coming in wanting the Cragars and too skinny tires mounted, I'd tell them all "our machine will break your boss", they didn't care. I generally snapped 1 or 2 out of 4.

Maybe they had caps/spinners to cover it up...I dunno.

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Old car, old wheels, really old driver 20171023_110338.jpg 20171023_110417.jpg

catdad49, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  12. The early "non trademark" stuff is worth a bit, but again chrome condition has a lot to do with the value.
    Same kinda thing on those M/T valve covers, the early stuff is worth more than the later stuff, but if in poor condition it can be worth less.

13. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this question but how do you torque the lug nuts when using these? I have a set of Cragars on my Chevy II and even have a set of spinners (old style) that I've never put on for that reason. I'd kind of like to change up the look a little.

Thanks,

Andy from STL

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

There is a FB page I'm on that can answer any Cragar question, "Cragar SS Aficionados"

15. 24riverview

24riverview

They don't lock onto one position on the wheel, on mine anyway you grab 2 of the wings and rotate them on the wheel. They were still very tight on the wheels.

catdad49 likes this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

17. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Ah ha. And the HAMB delivers again. Thank you.
    Andy

mgtstumpy likes this.