Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got another one. M38A1

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by anthony myrick, May 4, 2021.

1. F63B0B68-8728-409D-A2A8-E4F9967DBADA.jpeg 9F956B83-F63A-4504-9135-FDF3E17253A0.jpeg
    picked this up just cause.

tractorguy and Guy Patterson like this.
  2. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

yes we all have the sickness

tractorguy and anthony myrick like this.
  3. $15 for the tub
    $35 for the windshield frame.
    And he tossed in a transfer case

tractorguy likes this.
  4. mamllc

mamllc

IMG_2424.JPG
    The only Jeep I've ever owned, a collection of early to mid seventies CJ5 parts. Had to sell it when we moved south. Moving again, still Alabama but farther south, to a place with lots more space, and a shop big enough to work on my own stuff along with the paying jobs. I have always liked flat fender jeeps, maybe now's the time?

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. The ignition is the big difference, the distributor houses the coil and is sealed up water tight with shielded wires and special spark plugs. The engines had positive crankcase ventilation and was sealed up for water fording operation and the oil pan had a skid plate . I can't remember if the distributor drive on the oil pump had offset tangs like the old dodge M 37s or not, on the early models the drive train was vented to the air cleaner, later years they used the little atmospheric vents at each gear box. you should be able to find most of what you are missing at military vehicle collector swap meets or on several web sites. I spent a 30+ years maintaining rigs like this but I've been retired for 20 years now and have a hard time remembering all the details, I do remember the L head and The F head shared a lot of components . Oh, the mounts on the front could have been for fuel and water cans I've never seen them before but GIs are always improvising and adapting.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

Steves jeep has the rear bumper's on up side down, and also, whats going on with the rear hubs, look like lockouts on the back? WW2 jeeps had full floating rear axles, but that looks like a lockout hub to me

8. Steves jeep is a M 38A1, Korean war and after. the M38 and the M 38A1s had Dana 44s front and rear. The WW II Jeeps were either GPWs or MBs, they had full floating rears.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

The jeep in the fox news article is most defiantly not an m38a1

10. rudestude

rudestude

This is a old jeep that I got years ago not sure if it was a cj-2a or a MB , when I first saw it it had a hard top on it , after market,then when I went back to buy it, just a few hours later the guy had sold the top and windshield...at first I told him to F.O. but after some bs I bought it any ways $200 what the hell it ran, and it was someone that I knew.
    Under that nice red enamel , applied by brush and still sticky, paint job... .and not by me..it was all, for the most part , G.I issue original.
    It had the odd steering setup that required the extra leaf/support hardware that was mounted to the drivers side spring pack..
    Had the headlights that flipped up for working under the hood, and the cat eye lights, body handles , it didn't have the sealed electrical components under the hood, I know alot of them had that stuff removed and replaced with standard equipment for the reason of being able to find parts, but it did have a cool feature that I liked ...in the back floor area was a big round sort of plate that mounted to the floor and from the bottom side it mounted into the frame.."Rat Patrol" machine gun mount or some other form of weapon...I wanted to build a large spud gun and mount it back there....didn't happen ,I ended up trading it off.
    The day I took the dogs out... 20210520_200413~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 1952henry

1952henry

Ww2 jeeps did not , for the most part, have waterproof igjition/wiring. Radio jeeps would have had shielded wiring.

rudestude likes this.
  12. 1952henry

1952henry

I have a 1950, I believe, CJ3a I plan to restore. Have another one, a CJ2a, that is parts. Have the title for the CJ3, dont have it handy, but the Dana 41 rearend says 1950.

The Ford F3 Marmon -Herrington 4wd takes precedence.

anthony myrick and tractorguy like this.
  13. 1952henry

1952henry

Buddy of mine back home has the Ford GP his dad bought war surplus in the 40s, complete with the 9N tractor engine and Model A transmission.

14. 1952henry

1952henry

Anthony, ever figure out the extra Tina's purpose on front of fenders?

15. Nope. Posted on a few military and jeep pages.
    No luck

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

Disengage the rear axle for towing....

17. rudestude

rudestude

Jeeps can be Hot Rods also...
    This one belongs to my uncle...he built it years ago , its been a mud runner then sand drags, and then retired to the street...well mostly its spent probably most of the last 25 years sitting in the back corner of his game room...brought out maybe couple times a year....thats till my cousin got old enough to drive ...she pretty much layed claim to it , he finally just went and signed it over to her a couple years ago ....now it sits in her garage, but it get driven more now....and she drives it to ..no holding back.but thats what it was built for.
    Its a 53 Cj-3B 327 sbc , Muncie 4spd and all the other stout stuff ,
    the pics don't do it any justice...its dark GM metallic green , green shag carpet, Tornado tilt/tele column&wheel , T-bird ? Buckets,
    Power steering , owner built dump tube headers.it even run a tri-power set up years ago for awhile and it still has the 8-track tape player from back in the day.
    He said the only thing that is original from the jeep he started with is the frame, front headlight panel/grill light buckets the instruction plates on the dash and some misc. hardware...
    I remember going mud running with him in it when I was in grade school, then it got rolled on its side ,he put a brand new body on it, then it got rolled onto the other side .after that it was fixed and painted up everything shinned up and then it became the sand dragger.
    .if only it could talk...man.. it would have some stories to tell. 20210520_201455~2.jpeg 20210520_201509~2.jpeg 20210520_201433~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

caseywheels and anthony myrick like this.
  18. spanners

spanners

That jump seat looks like an animal catchers spot like they used in that old movie 'Hatari' with John Wayne

rusty valley and anthony myrick like this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Don't know whagt transmission my 62 CJ5 had, but when I swapped a 327 365h Chevy into it, I blew up that engine and the next 2 or 3 junkyard 327s and never once had any issues with the drive train. Well not strength anyway. Those 5.38 gears were the undoing of all the 327s, the final 283 ran for 13 months before I sold it.

Ahh those were the days, but I knew better...