Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Your Highboy Sucks!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Your Highboy Sucks!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford quit building cars in 34 and went to wimp wagons after that..;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  3. adam401

adam401

Wow thats so cool. I grew up watching racing at Seekonk Speedway. Its still an awesome place.

Robert J. Palmer and WillyKJr like this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Four wide redneck racing. Fantastic

36 ROKIT likes this.

5. I grew up watching this kind of racing at Greenville-Pickens Speedway, the fat fendered Fords were preferred race cars. HRP

6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Notice how courteous they are driving...even the ones trying to jockey out of last place?
    They don't want to scrape the shiny paint off the fenders
    I guess that's why I like open wheel racing

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  7. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

Wow, that brings back a lot of memories of going to Riverside Speedway in western Mass. with my Dad, a small track with plenty of action, great cars & drivers. Like most tracks gone but not forgotten. Thanks for posting this Ryan

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High boys are neat, no doubt, but I have always been drawn to the cool, Art Deco lines of Fat Fendered automobiles, such as these two examples ! ( YMMV )

47 dodge 4 view (3).JPG harwood 3.jpg harwood 4.jpg

alfin32, ClarkH and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

They, the cars almost look like match racers, they ran in a large group. Could you imagine this group of vehicles on the large ovals of todays tracks leaning bodies in the curves and sucking down on the slopes??? Todays Nascar's have NOTHING on fat fender racing,,,, nothing,.

UNSHINED 2, Tman and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Yup. I watched Jalopies on small tracks all over the New England/New York area and have a soft spot for that genre for sure. In race trim or street trim they were cooool sleds in their day.

41 GMC K-18 and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  11. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Remember those cars as my dad started racing in fat fender cars. We always had monday night as fender fixing night or replacement as there was a lot of bumping in the pack, it wasn't as polite as that film seems to show LOL

41 GMC K-18 and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  12. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

There is a series called Legends in NASCAR now which is 5/8 size bodies and they are replicas of chevy, dodge and ford from the 30's

13. 34Larry

34Larry

I have a little story about my selfish self concerning Jalopy racing. My younger brother had friend, who had a sister my age, their mother drove a '37 Ford Coupe[​IMG] with the men, (she was the only full time women racer to run with the men. This was the early 50's. Brother says he and I are invited to go every weekend if we have the admission money. There was no dad, mom prepared and maintained the race car herself and had a male fiend that helped her at the track. So..................I decided to pretend I "liked" my classmate so as not to feel stupid hanging out with her and getting to go to the track. We had to stay in the stands, could not go into the pits but it was still great times. "Mom" did pretty good but was not allowed to drive in the "Powder Puff" races because of her racing with the men. Her car was black and white, painted with a brush and she mostly ran in the "B" races. I was an impressed kid seeing her trophy display in living room. When she stopped racing and going to the track the next year, I stopped the pretend "puppy love" routine. They moved not long after that and I didn't have to face what ever name was at school and in class. I never will forget the excitement, smells, (gas, grease, oil, burning rubber, mixed with popcorn) and running wild around the stands. The track was paved and there were no serious injuries as I can remember. My Mom was long gone and dad had a neighbor lady (??):rolleyes:, who always seemed to be home when my brother and I came dragging in well after dark, dirty, tired and hungry. Just great times and memories.

BTW the pic above was not her, I swiped it off the interweb.

fauj and tractorguy like this.
  14. That is cool...the only thing that would make the video cooler is to skip the music played on instruments, and listen to the music of all those flatties at full song at the top of second gear!

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Raised by a father who did this, but he liked 6 cyl Mopars in modifieds more. Still, for those who wonder why coupes bring a premium today just remember this is but 1 track using up those cars, along with the commercial wide 5 wheels. Untold numbers of each ended up wrinkled, twisted, burned and battered.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Over the decades of both witnessing these races and seeing photos of them, I have long thought it is AMAZING there are coupes left …….

Ray

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I was involved in this from the early 50s, in my teens, first as a "gopher" for an older friend who raced and was a pump jockey at the corner gas station a few blocks from home, couldn't afford to build to build my own so I messed around with hot rods on the street after I turned 16, and went to the races as pit crew for him and others from my town.
    Progressed later to building my first car in '67, but the fat fendered cars were gone by then, and first was a '55 Chevy. I was moderately successful long enough to earn my nickname of "dirty old man":rolleyes: There was nothing polite about short track racing on dirt:eek:

SlamIam, KKrod, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen. Haul ass and turn left.
    Spent many a night at Dixie Speedway in Woodstock GA and every class was take no prisoners.

19. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the films you see of these cars are all compilations of crashes. Nice to see actual racing.

20. Silva

Silva

This post resonates with me, as a kid growing up in New England in the sixties we attended races at Waterford Speed Bowl, Riverside Park, Lebanon Valley etc. My uncle was a regular at Seekonk for a while.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only once... in the early sixties... when I was maybe four or five years old, my dad took me to a dirt track race. The memory is fuzzy... but still resonates. It was evening. I was the only child among all adults. The smell of beer and cigarettes and exhaust. Lots of chatter and laughing. And of course the roar of the engines. One of the more heady moments of my young life.

I didn't see any rollovers in the video. That's good. I wouldn't want to do that in a Highboy.

dirty old man and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Ford won a lot of races after ‘34.