Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Chevy truck steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jason Liles, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

Guys,
    I’m looking for options on a bolt on style steering box for a 1940 Chevy truck. I’m building a bobber style truck and doing a dropped axle and modified leaf pack
    I’m thinking about using the stock box but curious if there are better options
    This is my first vintage style hot rod
    I’ve always had muscle cars etc that have more readily available parts
    I’m not afraid of fabricating stuff to work but I really am try to achieve an original look and utilize what I have mostly

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to beat the Chevy truck box in good condition for smooth operation but they are bulky and ugly and if you are running a small block they often interfere with the exhaust.

I don't know of any "bolt on " box that will just bolt on by drilling some holes. F-1 or F-100 box will probably end up with the end of the pitman arm way too low and the drag link at too much of an angle.
    Mustang box mounted below with the pitman arm pointing up would work and keep the drag link pretty level but that calls for welding in a bracket.

Jason Liles likes this.
  3. here we go again with "bobber style".........................

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

What is the bobber style?

5. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

Well let’s hear it buddy
    What do you call it? Hot rod truck? I call it a rat rod/bobber style truck. Lots of other people do
    I guess it just depends on who you are and where you’re from

6. A Rudy truck? Fenderless and short wheel base?

7. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

Yes that’ correct, short wheelbase, fender-less bobbed off bed

8. You have to be really careful with the proportions. They have a tendency to get really cartoony real fast. This one is just almost right. Maybe better with a little less rake.

[​IMG]

9. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

Yes I like those, I like a bit less rake
    I won’t go real short on the bed either
    I don’t like them too short

10. Joe H

Joe H

A '41 - '46 will bolt right in, they used recirculating balls for easier steering. Yours is gear on gear, the new one is also a slower ratio so it will steer easier than what you have. All trucks from '41-'16 use the same box, they changed the mast length depending on what tonnage the truck is, COE are different.
    1940 16:1 steering ratio
    1942 19.8:1 steering ratio

11. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

That’s what I thought
    40 was a change over year

12. squirrel

squirrel

It might help to see pictures of what you're building. If you don't have it mocked up enough to take pictures, then a sketch might do.

With the type of drag link they use on trucks, you have to pay attention to the relative height of both ends of the drag link--it needs to be level, to prevent bump steer, since you're using parallel leaf springs. So the location of the pitman arm is important, relative to the steering arm on the spindle. The location just above the frame rail should work out best.

13. About 20 years ago folks not knowing any better started using the term after Rudy built his famous little truck. They are just hot rods. A bobber is a bike or something you get on the back row of the truck stop for $20

14. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

Yes correct
    The steering arm will end up high after the axle is dropped so I’ll have to alter it to keep the the Drag link level or find a shorter pitman arm to keep the drag link level

15. And as Squirrel said, mock up is your friend

Jason Liles likes this.
  16. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

I think some people generally call them bobber trucks because the style is similar to the practices of a bobber bike build vs stretching it out like a chopper. But yes you are are correct it’s a slang terminology for a shorter stripped down hot rod truck
    Not really a big deal either way in my book

17. Just call it a hot rod

'34 Ratrod likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

post a picture, then we'll know what you're talking about.....

19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I take it you need to do something for engine clearance...?
    I once used a '53 truck box (cut column from box and added bushings and joints), mounted it on the outside of the frame onto a piece of 2x6 box tube. Did this for engine clearance (factory axle, not dropped).
    You could do similar but, mount the steering box higher than the top of the frame rail. Doing this would gain you engine clearance and help compensate for the dropped axle, keeping the drag link fairly level while using the factory configured steering and pitman arms. Big plus is, it's cheap-n-easy.

20. Are you planning to keep the stock column which is attached to the box? Or going to cut and weld a u-joint or rag joint close to the box?

21. Jason Liles

Jason Liles

Honestly guys I’m not to that point yet
    The box is just something I’m for seeing needing to be replaced or rebuilt
    The truck is very very hard to turn to the right and will only turn so far right. It’ll turn full lock to the left
    It’s been parked in a farm yard for quite a while with no front clip.
    It’s a good truck and hot rod project, great cab on it and chassis is on good shape
    So was just curious about options that are an upgrade if I need to go that route abs the box is trash
    I intend to use the stock box at this point if it just needs cleaned good and rebuilt but it’s good to know options

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  22. squirrel

squirrel

Disconnect the box from the steering linkage and give it a try, before you condemn it....

Jason Liles likes this.