Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Saturday Art Show, Prints,various Artwork, Automotive Related

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanna wait it out in there ? by Tom Fritz.
    7A399A41-85A3-44C6-A335-F2C7EE9DE09F_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Frogz, Flat Roy, chriseakin and 17 others like this.
  2. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

^^Copyright Tom Fritz^^

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Italian artist Maurizio Colangiuli, aka Mad Mac Italian artist Maurizio Colangiuli, aka Mad Mac.jpg

Frogz, 41 GMC K-18, Flat Roy and 11 others like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.thejournaldaily.com/cos...ity-is-named-top-destination-for-outdoor-art/

”Costa Mesa murals draw national spotlight as city is named the top destination for outdoor art. Men's Journal recently ranked Costa Mesa as a go-to place for art appreciation al fresco, but locals say the nod just scratches the surface of a still-growing art scene.”

Hello,

The local post of Costa Mesa’s street art work has hit the big time. Everything from basic waves, to old trucks, to colorful kid’s slogans to big street murals have place it number one on the digital edition of the Men’s Journal website and local recognition by the popular newspaper editions. The street art was started in 2015 to give the artist work some recognition and to spruce up those bland computer utility boxes that house plenty of computer equipment to handle the street light corner. Some recognition for those artists were well received by all.

NOTE:

Just don’t hit any of those utility boxes on purpose or by accident. They house thousands of dollar’s worth of specialized electronics to run the computerized street corner lights. The local city insurance company told me that each box is worth about 50k to 100k in costs to replace any damaged equipment.

Jnaki

Goat Hill Park with old cars and tiny rideable trains were highlighted by this cool mural. The Goat Hill area was one of our favorite places to take our granddaughter for a ride on a sit-on moving train, in scale proportions. It was a fun place and a part of what makes Costa Mesa unusual.
    upload_2021-5-29_5-53-9.png
    19th street and Anaheim Avenue Artist: Marie Lavallee

One of the most popular was with the music crowd from the So Cal music scene. The side of one of the more popular barber shops in Costa Mesa provided a wall to depict the early history of what was…Costa Mesa.
    upload_2021-5-29_5-54-4.png

artist: Jonas Never

“Prior to the pandemic, it was a different barbershop. Yes, similar in that chairs, scissors, buzzers and brooms were all included as do other shops. But, the outside was an indication that something was different. The mural was highlighted by things “Costa Mesa.” Significant things that Costa Mesa was well known for, over its past history. (Cool cars, entry into the popular music scene artists, old historic shops, etc.) Grant Boys is a name only local So Cal folks would know and remember.”

upload_2021-5-29_5-54-38.png DEC 2020

So Cal has plenty of street mural art on buildings, walls, utility boxes and fences in almost every city. But, ones done timely and/or artistically, get the well deserved accolades that they deserve. It is hard enough to draw hot rods, cars and people, let alone draw them in life size or larger!!!

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-5_4-19-50.png

Hello,

Having visited San Diego weekly from 2011 to 2018 for our sailing adventures and many overnights, we began to see the city in a different light. Normally, it was stay on the coast line to check out the waves in all of the small coastal cities and towns. But, during our 7 year adventures in sailing, we made the high speed freeway run in an hour plus a few minutes from home to the huge SD Harbor Marina.

After all day sailing, we treated ourselves with a visit to one of the outstanding restaurants in different parts of the city. We started with Point Loma, Ocean Beach and even Mission Beach, all close by and within a 5-10 minute drive. Then our excursions went inland to Old Town, Hillcrest and North Park for some unusual restaurants.

Finally, it was scouring the bayside restaurants of Coronado and the San Diego Bay. But, one month, we decided to start at our favorite, Queensland Public House in the Little Italy area and then take different routes down the various streets that led back to the southern harbor bayshore area.

We have lived a coastal shoreline life, but the big bay always impressed us with the views and ambience. Driving down those multiple story building lined streets of downtown to the bay always impressed us. The city came alive during the year, but when the tall buildings were decorated with corporate sponsors during Comic-Con, that was impressive from the shoreline or out in the water looking back at the big city skyline.

On one of our trips, we saw different art work in the various places reaching South to the Convention Center Bayshore park.
    upload_2021-6-5_4-23-21.png
    Apparently titled “Crushing It,” this colorful spray paint art was created by Carly Ealey and Christopher Konecki of Cohort Collective

Jnaki

The most striking was the one we saw on the corner of J street and Park. It was near the City Library and Petco Park areas, with our road trip, finally ending up at the Embarcadero Shoreline Park. There we saw the biggest sailboat ever glistening in all black with masts that towered over most other boats and the nearby Convention Center.

Of course, my wife said after viewing that large sailboat, “We could sail that boat everywhere…” Wow, that would have been something, but, most harbors would have a barrier to cruising and docking shore side. It was just too large to fit in most harbors in So Cal. (16 feet keel up and 30 ft keel down, mast is 262 feet tall)
    upload_2021-6-5_4-50-51.png
    (Golden Gate 220 feet clearance , the new bridge in Long Beach 205 feet tall)
    "AHIMSA" 66 meters+ 216 feet long
    upload_2021-6-5_5-0-53.png

But thinking back to the striking artwork at the corner of J and Park Blvd. It certainly was a contrast in cultures and locations. It is about a mile away from Queensland Public House Restaurant and from the mural, another mile away South to the Embarcadero Shoreline Marina.
    upload_2021-6-5_5-5-14.png

10. Lil32

Lil32

Artist Hoon Auto Gear

Cartoons_0011.jpg

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

13. Lil32

Lil32

artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Cartoons_0004.jpg

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-12_5-1-8.png
    Local artist: Tama Dumlao installed in 2003. Escondido Grand Avenue street art with mosiacs.

Hello,

When you go driving or walking down the main street in downtown San Clemente, (Avenida Del Mar) it is chock full of history as the area grows with new businesses and art decorations. They are well known with their public spaces and downtown walking rest areas that have tremendous tile work depicting its automotive and cultural history of a sleepy beachtown.

A 45 minute drive Southeast brings a cruiser to the city of Escondido. To us, it is the home of the weekly Friday night cruise, every week from April to September with the final cruise being the always favorite “Nitro Night.” A “cackle” of So Cal's best drag race cars to highlight the end of Summer and eye watering displays.

But, there is also another artistic tile work depicting the ever popular Cruising Grand event. It is the only city in California that has this long standing hot rod/drag race connection and event. Until, that is during the pandemic, they shut down to help in the fight to subdue the spread of the virus. Crowded streets and sidewalks never are a good thing for close contact.

Jnaki

It has been cancelled during the 2020 season as the start of the closures was at the beginning of the whole April to September weekly cruising season.

So, the weekly event for 2021 has a possible surprise for all enthusiasts… Despite the masks and vaccinations, it still might be a harmful situation.
    But, "Ready are you,? What you know of ready? "...Yoda

upload_2021-6-12_5-5-48.png

https://www.times-advocate.com/articles/city-committed-to-cruisin-grand-starting-on-june-18/

NOTE: Before anyone makes the long drive South, North, East or West, check your local listings for the latest update on the event.

15. I have recently been trading emails with Mad Mac because of his art appearing on this thread. I am honored to have 33 COOP appear. The June 2010 HRM article has brought a lot of ink....

Lipstick Coupe 1.jpeg

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

18. Lil32

Lil32

artist Hoon Auto Gear

Cartoons_0008.jpg

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-19_4-36-7.png

Hello,

Late last week and early this week, my wife and I drove to the area facing the Pacific Ocean and the Dana Point Harbor. During the pandemic, it always brightened our day to see a nice, sunny day on the ocean and highlighted by places we have been during our pre-pandemic lives. Despite what the open rules are these days, the pandemic is still going on and we are still in the thick of it.

But, these local ocean themed cruises make up for any cloudy thinking and makes us feel like we have had a lot of fun over the years, together. Plus, when the sun comes out, there is nothing to compare to the blue ocean and the surf crashing on the shoreline. Or… the endless horizon when sailing out of the harbor to who knows where, for the whole day.
    upload_2021-6-19_4-37-48.png
    In the lower right corner of the above photo, we had some unfinished business and it needed some attention. Near the Amtrak Railroad pedestrian crossing to the beach overpass, on the inland side, sits a cool historic Mexican Restaurant. Olamendi’s Family Restaurant has been around for quite some time and has expanded several times with other area openings. But, the tried and true original building is still standing on Coast Highway South/North at the base of the tall cliffside.
    upload_2021-6-19_4-39-6.png
    We have dined there many times and also have gone to the satellite restaurant locations, too. One thing we noticed on the many coastal Highway 1 drives is the long painted mural on the parking lot wall from the Coast Highway to the base of the cliff.
    upload_2021-6-19_4-39-40.png
    At the beginning or street side painting is the item that caught our eyes. A cool 1940 Ford Woody with a couple of surfboards on top and the unusual directional sign. In talking to the owner of Olamendi’s a couple of days ago, he mentioned that the mural had been painted many years ago by a couple of local artists, Hunter and Gaack. Luckily, the mural is not facing the overhead sun, even during the summer. The setting sunset does get close, but the colors are still quite vibrant and not fading as much as if the wall was facing the direct sun all year long. (but, the salt air always does its deeds... on everything.)
    upload_2021-6-19_4-40-43.png

Jnaki

I told my wife the story of the Dana Point Coasting Contest back in the 1960 era of southern surf roadtrips. A whole crew of surfers from Long Beach and Seal Beach drove their vehicles down Coast Highway as usual. But, one day, someone mentioned that Dana Point, back then only had one stoplight. So, the down hill PCH from the North end of the town down past the Amtrak Railroad Bridge and Southward was perfect for a coasting contest.

The first contestant got stopped at the light. Then as things happen, the distance grew if you timed the stoplight from the top of the Northern Headlands hilltop. If anyone got past the stop light, then it was clear sailing (rolling) under the amtrak bridge and up to the area near the current, Olamendi’s Restaurant. Back then, it was another Mexican Restaurant. But, the rolling resistance was taking a toll on the cars trying for the longest distance.

The restaurant location was the longest spot on the coasting contest. I was proud that the so called “streamlined” Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery rolled so well. It held the record for quite some time. But, as sneaky and ingenious as some surfers are, (everybody inside would move back and then at a certain time, all move forward to shift the weight movement direction, like a pendulum) there were others that used the drainage dip on the side of the road to go down and pick up some rolling power.

The motion was similar to a skateboard kid going down a slope for speed to make it to the other side. The up and down motion gave cars more rolling power and the distance increased. My record was broken by a Chevy Fastback Sedan with cardboard wheel covers and overinflated tires for less resistance. (The final record was near the current pedestrian railroad overpass bridge.) The surfboards were inside for no wind resistance.

Surfers, what are we going to do to make life interesting?

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-19_7-22-13.png

Hey Ron,

When I first saw that drawing of the truck, it reminded me of some of your drawings from the past postings on the Friday Art thread. The blow up clarity says it was done by a guy name Charles, copyright in 1983. Gee, that was a long time ago. That was 38 years ago. There are some HAMB folks that aren’t even that old. Ha!

Here is one of your cool 40 Ford coupes you drew a while back. I still see the similarities… you probably could do several other drawings to add to the Friday Art drawing threads. Your house and cars give you plenty of drawing ideas.
    upload_2021-6-19_7-24-1.png

Jnaki

It is fun to draw as much as possible. It takes away some of the clouds hanging over our heads and all of the daily/weekly things that need to be done. If I see an old hot rod cruising down the street, it gives me an idea for some drawings. Sometimes it becomes a little daunting with all of the outstanding artists showing their drawn art here.

Saturday Art Thread showcases drawn or painted artwork in all different place as long as it has a copyright or the artists signature/acknowledgement. It is a fun place to be on Fridays and Saturdays. YRMV

21. ^^^^^^^ { JNAKI } I found that print many years ago. Probably at a swap meet. It's been on my garage wall for a very long time. {This art thread} I kinda thought was for art work that was mainly done by others. So I was hoping maybe someone may know who Charles 83 is? I've never made a penny on any of my old art work. It'just for FUN stuff. I do like doing some sketches from time to time. But mostly in the winter. I enjoy your, and everyones post also . So Thanks ! :)

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't forget, Sunday is Father's Day - if you live around Youngstown, Ohio be sure to go to the Butler Institute of Art to meet the artists as part of the American Stripes Pinstripe Art Display 20210617_121032.jpg 20210617_121003.jpg

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-26_3-32-47.png
    Phase 1 then 2...
    upload_2021-6-26_3-33-28.png
    The finished mural showcasing Los Angeles historic icons...

Artist, Monette Punzalan for Michael Che Romero

Hello,

Where can you see several automotive icon symbols (plus items of So Cal in nature…) on a giant detailed mural in So Cal? The Los Angeles themed mural for the co-working space at the Manhattan Beach’s “We Work” Manhattan Beach Towers is pretty awesome. Some younger folks won’t get the total picture, but us old guys remember everything.

Jnaki

It is one of the best artistic descriptions of So Cal and Los Angeles in general, that makes memories flow like melted ice cream on our hot 80-90 degree, So Cal weather days, like this whole past week.

How many icons do you recognize or remember from the past So Cal history?

26. Lil32

Lil32

artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Cartoons_0012.jpg

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

29. { 57 Chevy } Victor by hobrath[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.