Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tilt Forward Bucket Seats for Early Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jun 11, 2021.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone have pictures of tilt forward bucket seats that they have used in their Tudor? How is rear area access with these? I want to have a cargo area instead of rear seats but I need good access. I'm not going to get younger as the years go forward and I am not going to pull a stupid trailer. I'm investigating options and trying to decide how I want to proceed with my 34.

Thanks
    Rock

loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I don't have any pictures but I bought an old Geo Tracker for parts and it did have tilt forward bucket seats. Seems like a good way to go.

loudbang and rockable like this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Dodge Ramcharger passenger seat flipped forward.

The passenger seat in my brothers Model A 2dr sedan does too.

rockable likes this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really would like something that looks traditional. Not opposed to buy aftermarket buckets.

loudbang and Just Gary like this.

5. I had some tilt & tumble Blazer seats but they were too big for my '28 A Tudor hot rod.

Instead, I'm using the stock Tudor bucket seats.
    I've tilted them back a few degrees to mimic the ergonomics in my daily driver. The top is chopped 3.5", I'm 6'2" and have plenty of head and leg room.

Am using another pair of Tudor buckets in back so there's room for four. Back seat leg room is spacious but I had to raise them to clear the rearend hump so there's not a lot of headroom back there for tall people. The tall & thin gas tank is behind them, separated by a steel bulkhead.
    20200301_172141_HDR_2.jpg 20200301_180223_HDR_2.jpg 20200301_170557_2.jpg 20200222_104543_2.jpg 20200222_105127_2.jpg

More pics here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/introducing-my-fuel-coupe-styled-tudor.132127/page-7
    Hope this helps.:)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    loudbang, Tim, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X2 stock A or 32 buckets

rockable and Just Gary like this.
  7. The Model A is very narrow like you know and I was having a hard time finding seats for my '30 tudor also. I ended up with seats from a '59 Saab and they worked out very good. They don't tilt forward but slide on tracks like most seats. I have a back seat and adults have a hard time getting in and out of the back. Guess I should see if i can get it to tilt, it would be better.

rockable and Just Gary like this.
  8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I am using 70s Era mgb seats in my 31. They fold really flat.

loudbang, Just Gary and rockable like this.
  9. chucka

chucka

Voice of experience chiming in -- take your time and find the right ones! When I got my 32 Vicky 35 years ago it had buckets reportedly from some model Fiat. The passenger one folded twice, first the back folded down onto the seat, then the whole thing pivoted forward from the bottom front. Great access to the back seat! Very similar to original 32 seats. Then a few years ago I pulled the thing apart for a serious cosmetic redo, paint and interior. Changed the seats in the process - - - they're a little more comfortable but severely limit access to the back, particularly for luggage. That, coupled with me being considerably older, limit our overnite trips because it's such a pain packing the car! Had a chance to buy some original 32 seats, too, and passed them up. I'm the guy you see kicking himself by your house now and then.

46international and loudbang like this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind did you get that you don't like?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ones in my 92 Ranger extended cab are ugly with the high backs but Those could be cut down shoulder high or maybe the earlier ones had lower profile ones.
    The thing here is that the seat slides way forward and folds over for a lot of room to get in the back seat pretty easily. I think it even goes further forward but my battery for my car trailer was in the way. Seat is 19 inches wide at the widest part of the cushion.
    A guy might think about looking for the passenger bucket seat out of a mid/late Toyota SR5 extended cab. It would take two of them and the tracks for the drivers side though.
    The one at the top with the removable headrests being 87 Toyota extended cab. 1987-toyota-pickup-sr5-extended-cab-pickup (2).jpg Ranger seat.jpg Ranger seat folded.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    rockable likes this.
  12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anybody installed any of the Glide, Wiseguys, etc bucket seats with the tilt forward option?

loudbang likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sat on a Glide bench seat for a while in their display at a Goodguys a few years ago and was wishing I had the money to buy that seat on the spot. Seriously comfortable.
    It just depends on what your build budget is. I hate to suggest that someone runs out and buys a 500 or more dollar seat frame and springs then has to spend just as much to have them upholstered as he would spend to do a 50 buck pair of seats from the wrecking yard when I don't know and it is none of my damned business what his budget is.

Just Gary and rockable like this.
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pretty good budget and since I'm going to do long trips, comfort is important to me. This will probably be the only early Ford that I build, so I'm going to do it right.

loudbang likes this.
  15. View attachment 5088559 View attachment 5088560 A number of SUV's had fold forward seats in their second or third row of seats. I've looked for flip forward seats that have adjustable tracks but haven't had much luck. For now I ended up using Pontaic Montana second row folding and adjustable seats. The headrests are removable, the armrests are removable and the plastic trim and seat belts are removable. Once all the unwanted stuff is removed they could make useable and comfortable seats. Bottom cushion is about 19 inches wide, overall width is 20 inches with all the unwanted stuff removed. I used the tracks and the lower seat cushion is 10 inches from the floor. The flat fold gives me good access to the rear with the seat all the way forward. They recline almost horizontal. My sedan has a 3.5 inch chop. Curt R

IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG

loudbang and rockable like this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Check Bengels Hot Rod Seats 619-461-3502

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Already PM'd him. No reply, so far.

18. topher5150

topher5150

I used 68 cougar seats in my 47 Ford. They're a bit wider but the frames are the same as mustangs IMG_20200821_144712772.jpg

rockable likes this.