Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Fastenall-commercial only?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigdog, Jun 12, 2021.

1. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The local Fastenal will only sell to commercial accounts, no walk in business. Is this a company policy or just the local store? Seems like a bad business decision to me.

2. I’ve bought from several local stores and had no problem, but it’s been about a year or so.

3. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I used to get hardware from my local fastenal until about one and a half years ago. They started only selling to commercial accounts here too.

4. 5window

5window

With supply and labor issues abounding as the pandemic winds down and the economy revs up, they may not have the staff or product to serve you. Did you ask them if this was company wide policy?

rockable likes this.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Grainger maybe?

lo c dan likes this.
  6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

7. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

I'd just ask to open a small commercial account.

4ever18, stillrunners, Tim and 2 others like this.
  8. I was in the store in Hilo 2 weeks ago .

OahuEli likes this.
  9. A month or two ago I phoned our local Fastenal (Ontario Canada) and they too no longer serve the public.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. I placed an online order & picked it up at the local store.
    That was a couple of months ago.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

My local Fastenal never had the odd size or grade bolts I needed, so I just started shopping online at McMaster Carr. They deliver it to my back door the next day, and the cost isn't much more (if any) than Fastenal.

12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have bought from my local store many times over the years, but I suppose their policy could change.

13. Wrench97

Wrench97

Fastenal and Grainger both have a commercial only policy, though it's not always followed.

14. See if you can order online?

I have one really close and they always seems to fail me trying to use them.
    The old mom and pop hardware usually has a better bolt selection. I rather support them anyhow.

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You would be amazed the amount (1 or 100) and sizes of fasteners you can get or order at Ace Hardware, I have never been dissatisfied with the quality of their fasteners or their service.

16. topher5150

topher5150

I've been getting a lot of my fasteners from Ace lately. I tried Fastnel a couple of times and usually all I got was some kid trying, not that hard, to look what I needed on google.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't been into the local to me (15 miles away) Fastenal in months so I can't say if they quit selling to walk in trade or not. A few years ago they would only sell bolts, nuts or screws by the box and if you only needed a small quantity you still had to buy the box. I've got to get deck screws for my trailer I am building pretty soon so I guess I'll find out what they are doing then.

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Must be local, we can walk in any time.

19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I use the local Ace as well. My only complaint is sometimes the bolts in the bins are damaged by being dumped in. I always use a nut to make sure the threads are not damaged, unless I buy a full box, which is what I am doing more often. When I die someone is going to get one hell of an assortment of english sized nuts, bolts, and washers...

20. This will be the death of them. Hiring sales guys and relying on shop sales is just the wrong angle, if anything they needed to expand and cater to walk ins in this day and age

21. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Just try and keep it somewhat organized so I don't have to sort through every single bin to find a matched pair... :D

Guy Patterson and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Fastenal store I frequented out of convenience (with a commercial account) closed, so I had to go to the next closest one. They made me open an entire new account - didn't transfer store to store.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Up here Fastenal and brafasco have done this policy , but only during COVID .

pretty sure once all this garbage is behind up it’ll get back to normal

5window likes this.
  24. Yes Virginia, there are some places that never left normal....................

egads and kevinrevin like this.
  25. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

My local fastenal store only takes credit cards,i'm a cash guy and i almost never buy more than $5 at a time from them.
    Now they have a sign on the door stating something about a class action law suit and they are open 1 hour per day.
    I quit when they would not take cash.
    I have an account with McMaster and they have better service and better bolts anyway.
    byebye fasntenal

Driver50x and Guy Patterson like this.
  26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Tractor Supply has a large assortment, in open bins

27. Deuces

Deuces

I say screw fastenal and do your business elsewhere....

28. b4autodark

b4autodark

I've had really good luck buying online from The Bolt Depot, screw fastenal x2.

29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Box only in the store . Mail order , free delivery , one if that’s all you want . Business : Death Row Speed Shop

30. 5window

5window

I don't know about Fastenal, but Grainger lets me buy anything because I am a member of my local Farm Bureau. Not only do I support farmers, but I get a significant discount on Nationwide Insurance, a discounted price from Grainger and FREE SHIPPING on orders. That include a 1/2" x 1/8"x 6' piece of aluminum stock shipped in a giant six foot packing tube. Not a bad deal for $75 a year. https://www.fb.org/

48fordnut and Driver50x like this.