Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats that sealer on new fittings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Wahlster, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

I'm looking at a Wilwood residual pressure valve that has 3/8NPT threads on its ends. The little Brass fittings included with it to convert to 3/8-27 inverted flare have a red sealer compound on them. Does anyone know what this sealer is? I have to change one of the fittings to -3 AN and would like to use the same compound on that adapter.

2. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Lock tight Hydraulic thread locker.

3. finn

finn

It was a Locktite product on the fittings we specified back when I was a working stiff. Don’t remember the details, though.

It’ not new, though. I retired 12 years ago and we were using it probably at least ten years prior to that.

I guess that’s new in HAMB time, though, now that I think about it!

4. RmK57

RmK57

I've never heard of thread locker on any brake part. Not sure why you would need it. Maybe it's a liability thing from Wilwood.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

You wouldn't need it on any flare fittings. But as OP mentioned, this is on a pipe thread connection. Since the threads make the seal, a sealer/locker is not a bad idea.

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

Thanks Squirrel that prior thread both told me what I needed and then added enough to confuse me so I'm all set. I'll just use a dab if the same teflon pipe dope I use on other things.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Loctite 542 at my shop, and we use the hell out of it at work.

Teflon tape and pipe dope does not get along too well with a lot of automotive chemicals.

warbird1 likes this.
  9. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I recently tried to remove some brass fittings from a brass air valve that was 2500 psi rated with 1/8 pipe ports. Ever single stinking fitting snapped off due to some old crusty sealer that was used. Something blackish. Be careful what you choose if you ever want it to come back apart.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER