Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT'S GONNA SHOW UP IN YOUR MAIL BOX! thank's Don

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Update - The benefactor is none other that Don 37slantback

I came home today and checked the mail box and low and behold there was something besides the cable & power bill, I nicely wrapped priority box with my name on it.

I came in and opened it up to find that some very generous person, I assume a Hamber saw fit to send me a 1932 South Dakota license plate.

I have spent the last half hour trying to figure out who sent me this license plate, it is greatly appreciated but as often the case the benefactors name on the package eludes me, here on the Hamb the majority of the members use a moniker.

Whoever sent me the license plate I really do appreciate it and would like to thank you properly, please reply or send me a conversation. HRP

100_3278.JPG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. williebill

williebill

Based on the thread title, I thought you were going to say you got a new copy of the Rodders Journal.....

3. More stimulus for Danny.:D Cool plate:).

Just Gary and wandi harry like this.
  4. Sure is, I have a few '32 plates but this is the first South Dakota plate. HRP

3W JOHN, dana barlow and mad mikey like this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Fitting plate for my avatar, original SD car. My dad got it in the early to mid 50’s. Put a 303 Rocket in it. I pulled it out of the barn in the mid 80’s and drug it to Nor Cal where it lives now. Nice gift btw.

hotrodjack33 and Dave Mc like this.
  6. clem

clem

let’s see them then.......?

are you sure that it wasn’t your wife......... ?

hotrodjack33 and scotty t like this.
  7. Coming from Spokane, Washington I highly doubt it, the note attached is it was found at the Saint Regis, Montana swap meet. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Pretty decent thing for someone to do.

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Might be from Day county

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From when you could look at the plate on a guy's car and tell what county he was from or what county the car was registered in.

I knew an older gent who's sale's territory was in the county to the south of me 50 miles and he always bought his license plates at the courthouse there so he had "local" plates when he pulled up in someone's driveway.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We still have those, Ours is a number between 1 and 67, the first three are the largest population counties, then they go in alphabetical order of the county name. Our county, Fayette, is 32. The number 70 was used as a replacement number for all counties for lost or stolen plates.

But, we also have all those personalized plates and specialty plates you don't have any idea where they are from...

12. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Danny . I put a card in but forgot to say who the hell I was. I thought it would go well with the minnesota plate from earlier. I was born and raised in the Black Hills so when I saw it in the swap I had to get it and then thought you could add to collection.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll do you one better. About 25 years ago, I was racing my vintage dirt modified in Willmar Minnesota. After the race, a local came up to me and said, "I've got something you should have; what's your home address?". I asked him what he had, but he was adamant and wouldn't tell me. A week later, I go this "pin-back" button in the mail. It was issued by the American Legion (who sponsored the track) in Jackson, MN in 1966. The car was track champion in 1965, and they sold the button for $5 (or something) and it allowed the buyer access to all the races that season. I may be off a year or two on the dates and probably a bit on the price., but this thing was a great addition to the documentation I have on the car.
    PinBack.JPG

See any similarities?
    Thurmer Brothers #102.jpg

14. Don, I had no idea it was you, The name on the return address threw me a curve.

I really appreciate your generous gift, not once but for the second time, I owe you big time my friend.

In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, Thank you,thank you, thank you. HRP

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL :D
    Well, at least we haven't yet forgotten who the hell we was.
    A tip of the hat to 37slantback.

jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SHAAAAZAM...that's a cool story:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Danny , you give a lot to this forum so I amongst many are appreciative.

18. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

This is about as cool as it gets, I bet it made your day.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

all I got is a box of grief to send you - Ha!

20. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

The HAMB is an amazing thing made that way by the people who are part of it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. I've often said, the cars bring us together, but it's really about the people. Big thumbs-up to @37slantback.:) hqdefault.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and mcsfabrication like this.