Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bought myself a '53 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikko_, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Looking great! And, another idea on the surface rust in the front might be something like Ospho. Not sure if anything like that is available there, but it is just a weak phosphoric acid. I was amazed what it did to similar surface rust on my C10 pickup. It went from orange back to blue just wiping it with a rag a few times. I can see if I can find before and after pics. I haven’t even buffed it or anything and it made a huge difference.

Edit: Found a couple pics. I just wiped it on, let it stay wet, wiping it every few minutes until all the rust disappeared.

IMG_9454.JPG IMG_2577.JPG

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    6sally6, Stogy and Big mike 1968 like this.
  2. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thank you, it has definitely improved.

Thank you.
    Haven't tried anything on the surface rust yet.

Regarding the touched-up paint, it does blend in better now but in the future I might try a lighter blue but it will have to do for now.

Thanks.

I'll have to do some searching and see if I can find anything similar here that I can try.

3. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Mikko, if you are missing that rear quarter panel trim and are looking for it I have a lead on a set. Send me a message and i'll give you the info.

4. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Message sent.

Stogy and warhorseracing like this.
  5. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Went for a drive today and Alice quit on me so had to call a tow truck to bring us back to my garage.

While waiting I looked under the hood and the fuel filter before the carb is empty.
    Pump is still running so I guess the fuel line clogged up again.

Might have to just open my wallet and go for a new tank after all.

Stogy and Big mike 1968 like this.
  6. :( If you have to get one from the States, http://shoebox-central.com/, has them. I do not know if they are available anywhere else that would help with the high price of import duties.

7. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Dennis Carpenter also has new tanks, $359 I think it was.
    Not crazy expensive but shipping will probably be just as much and USPS aren't the fastest shipping company, usually takes about 1 month to get stuff over here.
    Fedex is a lot quicker with overseas shipping.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Here in the States some radiator shops can boil and pressure test your gas tanks too, it was less than $80 when I had mine done about seven years ago.It looked almost like new when it was done.

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If you need a tank look into the RCI fuel cell. It would fit in the trunk and you could an eye on your fuel. I also like being able to pull up to any side of the gas pumps..

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  10. Look up new tanks using the Ford part number, you should be able to do better than $359. The one for my '59 was $157 from Rock Auto in 2014.

Big mike 1968 and Mikko_ like this.
  11. My dad had a nice '54 Mainline with the 6 and 3-speed, same light blue. He traded in in on a '59 Ranchwagon in 1962.

12. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I can report that she is up and running again.

I pulled out the tank once more earlier this week and couldn't find any blockage but there wasn't much fuel in it.
    Probably just got too low :rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.
  13. WOW!:oops: I bet you felt like kicking yourself.:eek: Check the sending unit and if possible adjust it by bending the float rod. If not just mentally re-clock your fuel gauge.:cool: In the end it is all good and you know the car a little better.

14. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Felt a bit like I wanted to kick myself but while it was out I decided to flush it once more, couldn't hurt.

I did replace the fuel sender the first time I had the tank out and I'm guessing the new one isn't calibrated correctly to the tank volume or something like that. For now I will just leave it as is.

Stogy and warhorseracing like this.
  15. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Another thing that bothers me a bit is the transmission.

When I put it in reverse it really slams it in, doesn't make any noise but the car really makes a "jump" when going to reverse. Something wrong with the trans or can I adjust it somehow?
    No issues when going to Drive.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Boden

Boden

IMG_5114.JPG just slapped a backyard flat black paint job on it. I’m completely in love. Exactly what I wanted.

Jessie J., razoo lew and bobss396 like this.
  17. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Took a nice drive on some countryside roads today.

thumbnail_IMG_0524.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0525.jpg

Stogy, olscrounger, Ford52PU and 2 others like this.
  18. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Very nice project. You do great work. Hit that fender with some comet cleaner, it will take a lot of the surface rust off. Keep it going!

Stogy and Mikko_ like this.
  19. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

The car has been acting up a bit lately: high fuel consumption, hard to start when hot or when it sits more than a day, idles rough sometimes and oil smells of fuel.

After some reading on the Fordbarn I started to suspect the power valve so I took the carburetor apart and the power valve diaphragm was a bit moist on the underside which seems wrong.
    Replaced it and filled the fuel bowl with the carb sitting on the workbench and now the wait begins to see if it still leaks.

Stogy, Squablow and warhorseracing like this.
  20. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Doesn't seem to leak anything so put it all back together and took it for a testdrive.
    Now I'll just have to let it sit for a day or so and see if it starts more easily.

Engine bay is a mess but just had to try out one of the old chrome aircleaners I have laying around :rolleyes:

thumbnail_IMG_0582.jpg

Ford52PU and Stogy like this.
  21. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Carb issues are still present, might just go for a new one during the winter if I can't find anyone who rebuilds these here in Sweden.

But, I've been having some fun too:
    Installed 2 inch blocks in the rear and I'm very happy with the look. (Better pictures are coming)

And I removed the muffler so now Alice has some bark through a single straight pipe, maybe even too much bark :rolleyes:

thumbnail_IMG_0609.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0610.jpg

22. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

As promised, a bit better pictures from a greater distance.
    I think the ride height is spot on now.

And just like that I started dreaming about Olds' tail lights, nosing and decking and some cooler hubcaps :rolleyes:

thumbnail_IMG_0622.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0625.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0626.jpg

Ford52PU, bobss396, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  23. Looks great with the new stance!

Stogy and Mikko_ like this.
  24. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thanks, I'm super happy with the result.

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Great thread, your car is real cool and you got the stance just right.

loudbang, Stogy and Mikko_ like this.
  26. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

I love it !!!:cool:

27. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thanks guys.

Stogy likes this.
  28. @Mikko_ The car looks great and you nailed it.;) The hub caps, I like em.:cool:

29. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I llike these hubcaps too but I have a soft spot for 1956 Mercury caps with a 4 bar spinner :rolleyes:

But there is no rush with that, more important to get the issues with the carb sorted out, and I would really need to get a new wiring harness for it. I don't really trust those old crunchy cloth wires under the dash :eek:

30. That is exactly where my '51 let the smoke out of the harness. YES! Be very wary and carry a fire extinguisher.

loudbang likes this.