Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead in Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chop50, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Anyone installed a flathead and 39 trans. in a full fendered 30 Model A coupe?
    Will stock steering, exhaust, wishbone and other stuff clear?

Thanks, Steve

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

First question: You're kiddin', right?
    Second question: Usually not.

Bob

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

1- Yes, thousands.
    2- Yes.

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Give the guy a break.. Not everyone is born with a wealth of knowledge when it comes to old cars. At least he wasn't like "GoNnA Z it BIG out FRONT and BACK and git sum' BILLET 22"s on it! First RAT ROD build EVER!!" Everyone's gotta start somewhere..

He actually wants to keep the fenders on it and install a flathead/'39 trans. How often do we see that from someone who doesn't post much?

OP: One of my favorite threads with that combination is Elrod's build. Sure, he put a supercharger on it but it's basically the same combination; flathead, '39 trans, fenders, '30 A coupe, etc.. Hope this helps.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671975

Texas Webb likes this.

5. Chop50

Chop50

Thanks Texas,

By exhaust I meant would stock manifolds or headers would work with flathead V8 in a model a frame would stock steering and brakes clear ok and work for the time being. I also like the progression of the Model A coupe shown in the link. I currently am driving a stock model a coupe and considering the problems I have had with stock babbitt engines am thinking of installing of a flathead v8.
    My first A was a 29 highboy(roadster)on deuce rails with model a cross-members, dropped chrome deuce front end, Hallibrand rear, full house flathead, Auburn dash, 39 blue-dot tail lights. I built it in 1970. My first car was a 1939 Ford coupe purchased in 65.
    If you look at (Fordbarn smitty)you will see my A coupe.

6. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Yes you can do it, but you will have to move the steering over about two inches. Most guys build a box on the out side of the frame. You can use headers for the exhaust. Then add a out let and inlet to the radiator. You will have to make motor mounts and transmission mounts. I have done a few over the years. In fact I'm doing a 30 pickup now.
    You could have inserts put in your A engine. It is not that hard to get 80 hp from the A engine.

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

You should buy the Vern Tardel book, how to build a V8 A, it has a lot of good information. I'm working on my second V8 A, the first is my avatar, sold it in the late 90's. working on a 30 Sport Coupe with an *BA flathead. I used 49-51 ford pickup steering in both, Reds Headers makes headers that will clear the steering. I have two mostly stock Model A's any the steering isn't that good, use a later box. vintageford.com has the stuff to mount your stock wishbone and clutch and brake pedals to the V8 trans, no need to reinvent the wheel when parts are available. Was working on my mild custom 60 Thunderbird and coupe was half buried but I have started working on it again.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      224.6 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      236 KB
      Views:
  8. Chop50

Chop50

Knowledge of old cars.. I bought my first car a 1939 Ford coupe in 1965 for $100 and drove it home. Built Model T's, A's, 29 Highboy on Deuce rails w/Hallibrand rear & flathead. 55 Chevy's, 61 Chevy, several 60's Camaro's I chopped and built the 50 you see here, also my Model A coupe. Just cars off the top of my head. Always looking for new possibilities, why the question was posed.

Texas Webb likes this.