Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 crown victoria door glass and track

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mongo4u2, Jun 6, 2021.

1. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

I have just started working on a 1955 crown , the pass door roll up window , roller and track , needs to be all taken apart and rebuilt , has any body done that , and are new replacement or upgrades from other cars work ?

Attached Files:

2. I rebuilt all of the rollers and tracks on my 53, which is very similar. New roller assemblies and tracks are available from Mac's, C&G, Dennis Carpenter, etc. The original rollers are metal, and all replacements I have seen have nylon rollers. The rollers have a clip on them that releases them. You may not have to replace any parts unless broken. Remove the "scissor"regulator assembly after releasing the clips on the rollers, and slide the rollers out of the tracks. Usually the track is gummed up and the rollers stuck with old grease. Soak the rollers in ATF and clean the tracks and regulator assembly. Relube all and reassemble. The arms on the regulator are bullet shaped so you can just push them into the roller until the clip clicks. I find a prop stick inside the door to hold the glass/track up helps.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

that was great , I do understand ! , thanks Dave

4. You are welcome. If the track is bad due to rot/rust, the same suppliers have them. You will need a roll of the door glass mounting tape to install the new track on the glass after removing it.

5. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

6. I did the doors on my '59 over completely. New fuzzy kit, new window channel, rollers. I had a glass shop set my glass into the tracks and vent glass too. $$ well spent. The channel was from Restoration Specialties, C.R. Laurence and Metro Glass also have it.

Watch the rollers, mine were nylon, red in color. The blue ones are for later cars, but all the parts houses don't know any better. So watch that.

7. I did the side glass in a 55 Crown once. No more Crowns for me.