Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960 Apache Crew Cab Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've had a build worth photographing. But here is my next money pit. Will likely be getting a big block, long bed, and a whole lotta patch panels. Here's a couple pics of it in the swamp I bought it from in Bethel Island, California. It'd been sitting for a long time. I was told it came from a local military base of some sort in the bay area. 20210308_171817.jpg 20210314_100823.jpg

2. getow

getow

;)Awesome find. Congrats. I want it.

3. Nice score!

badgascoupe likes this.
  4. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Cool! DON’T Long bed it! Short beds are way cooler.

rmcroadster, D-Russ, RMONTY and 5 others like this.

5. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Cool truck!!!
    I’m another short bed fan!!!

D-Russ, RMONTY and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  6. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I also love short beds, on a standard cab. This bed is actually 10 inches shorter than a shortbed. They built this on a standard longbed frame, added a second cab, then cut the bed off short. So it looks proportionally funky to me. Here's a pic of my truck with its dumb shorty bed, a crewcab with a standard shortbed, and one with a long bed. The main reason I like longbeds, is that they hold more shit.

Attached Files:

7. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Another pic from it's extraction

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs, Gasser 57 and brEad like this.
  8. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

9. The middle pic gets my vote

CME1, scotty t and SAM3 Customs like this.
  10. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

9ECB2FCF-643F-46A1-9583-0CFD93FB66F6.jpeg
    I have to admit with a closer look that proportionately the short bed does look odd and this version just KILLS IT!!!!!

11. The long beds loooooooooooooooooooonnnnggg !!

I dig it !!!

The short beds got a nice look also

Your right the bed that’s on it makes it look like a new quad cab truck with the grocery getter bed.!

12. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Yeah my bed has got to go. I wouldn't mind the standard shortbed, but they're expensive when you can find one, and I still would like the extra space.

Attached Files:

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just be prepared to call for a tug boat when you need to park it. Had a long bed crew cab '63 International and it took a block to turn it around.

14. catdad49

catdad49

Use a regular short bed and adjust the wheelbase to fit that, like the middle pic above. That will be a Winner! I do like the turquoise, show your progress.

15. Budget36

Budget36

I like a long bed lowered. I also think (as the pics show) adds better proportions to the truck.
    Have some fun with it!

16. Craig59

Craig59
    from Fort Worth

Nice find! As a former USAF crew member I can tell you we used crew cabs in order to drive around base when we were “on alert.” Hamilton AFB near SFO is one possibility. You might look for remnants of USAF markings when you strip the paint. Should be a cool build!
    B84CC7FC-BBC2-4624-9D72-FA2CF646C682.jpeg

17. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Cool Truck. I would just move the wheel wells back and center the axle in them.

1971BB427 and catdad49 like this.
  18. upload_2021-6-9_8-55-51.png
    Looking at this picture at a quick glance, the reflections in the roof, looked similar to an Olds, Vista Cruiser roof...I thought wow, that's a very cool idea...then I realized it was just the reflection. Just in case you don't already have a full plate, I like this version with the Vista Cruiser roof option :D

kidcampbell71 and alfin32 like this.
  19. Some people have all the luck, I am looking for a 1960 Apache Fleetside (unsuccessfully) to do as a hauler for my vintage stock car (Real racing not parade laps) .

A Crew Cab would be the cat's ass!

Great find, and good luck! I will be watching this one!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  20. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

First things first! Put the obligatory white walls on it. Ran through the brakes, belts and hoses etc. Rebuilt the carb on the old 350 and drove her around the neighborhood. After driving it in town a few days, I noticed a slight steering wheel wobble. I pulled into a parking spot and the wheel just about folded in. That's a first for me, but I'll always remember to check these old steel wheels! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chucky, 2Blue2, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  21. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I bought some squarebody wheels that are in much better shape. And put some beauty rings and spider caps on. Also put on 3" lowering blocks in back and cranked down the front torsion bars to match. [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here's and old ad from the company who I believe made the cab.

Attached Files:

23. Do the long box, I love crew cab long boxes.

24. Be thankful that the wheel problem happened where you were able to park it, not on the freeway.

osage orange and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

No joke! That could've been real bad

osage orange likes this.
  26. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Originally the truck had a 3 on the tree saginaw trans. That came out for a rebuilt t5 trans out of an 89 camaro. [​IMG]

27. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Instead of buying the infamous s10 t5 for the forward shifter relocation, I bought a 40 dollar amazon mustang short throw shifter and with some drilling,cutting,and welding, the shifter works great. I'll likely heat up the shifter arm some more and bend the old hurst arm a bit more.

28. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

29. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

After a couple of weeks of 100°+ Temps outside, it was time to put some AC in this rustbucket. I bought a Vintage Air kit and everything went fairly smoothly. It'll freeze your balls off too![​IMG]

30. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

While cleaning up the new wiring harness, I got some sound deadening wannabe dynamat from Amazon because this truck is obnoxiously loud inside and the floors are hot enough for the A/C to have a tough time cooling everything down. I've never used this stuff before so well see how it goes. Next up is a stick on insulation heat barrier also from Amazon. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]