Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SPARK PLUGS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 8, 2021.

1. When was the last time you changed the spark plugs in your hot rod or custom? I don't remember when I last changed the ones in my sedan but today I pulled them and was really amazed at just how clean they were. HRP

2. Last week.

Don’t ask when I last changed the oil…

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Last year I replaced plugs, cap and wires in the A pickup

HOTRODPRIMER and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. Oil? You mean we're supposed to change it? Well that's a fine howdy! :D

Tim, HOTRODPRIMER, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.

5. Lil32

Lil32

3 weeks ago
    went to one stage hotter "NGK"
    check them each 6 months

6. squirrel

squirrel

I know I pulled the plugs, or at least half of them, out of my Chevy II after it ran that 9.89 in Virginia on the last Drag Week. They looked fine, so I put them back in. That's typical for this car.

IMG_20190913_172012696.jpg

Tim, HOTRODPRIMER, ottoman and 14 others like this.
  7. Tom, I am anal about changing the oil and still change it around 3000 miles, I realize many say you can go 7 to 10 thousand miles. HRP

3W JOHN, Lil32, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

our late models get new oil around 8k miles, but the old big blocks get 2000-3000 mile oil changes.

9. I used to be lucky if I got a month out of a set of plugs. Then I took the points out of my DP Mallory and replaced them with a Pertronix Igniter II along with a new set of plugs. That was in 2012. Have not changed a plug since. Every time I pull them out, they look like then ones in the photo Jim posted. A side benefit is it starts much quicker, and mileage went from a little over 9mpg to 12 mpg. That's with to Holley 650 double pumpers!

Tim, JeffB2, HOTRODPRIMER and 7 others like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

that's funny...because those plugs in my picture have thousands of miles on them, being fired by a stock coil switched by a Mallory dual point with old Mallory points in it

and did I mention it runs nines...

Tman, Moriarity, Elcohaulic and 10 others like this.
  11. I change plugs in My '63 every couple of years. that's between 8 and 10 thousand miles.

When I put my 50 on the road (June 2020) I had screwed out the plugs that were in it when I bought it, cleaned and gapped them and put them back in. They looked good then and it still runs good 2500 miles later. I'm sure they'll go a while yet. Both cars fired by points by the way.

Oil changes on my old cars at around 2000 miles. Sometimes the '63 goes 3000.

HOTRODPRIMER and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I religiously changed oil at 3000 And every year on plugs, points, and condenser on my daily's in the 70’s and 80’s.
    Wish I would have saved that stuff.
    Now it’s yearly on my synthetic oil and rarely ever on plugs. It’s amazing how things have changed.
    The flatheads only get a tuneup when I see evidence of need and a racing oil change every 1000 miles on the non filtered system.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

In about the last 30 years I have not changed a spark plug (have pulled a few just to check) in any of my old hobby cars. All have/had an HEI type ignition, fresh or new crate engines and rarely have put more than 20/25 K miles per car, not year, total per car. I always run good plug wires, only problem was a few ignition modules. I have an GM OT hobby car 32 years old, 65 K miles still running original ignition parts untouched, runs like new, My 16 year old OT 5.7 Hemi car now at 77K miles, going to change plugs (has 16) this summer, still runs great. My OT drivers, last 50 or so years have never changed a plug, exception being Ford 5.4 eats up coiloverplugcoils and put new plugs in same time and a few when hitting 100/125K miles, still ran good but put new in just because. I do remember the old days, Wisconsin is cold in Winter, new points/condenser/cap wires/rotor/plugs in fall to be sure they would start. On oil change subject I'm a big believer in Mobil 1 synthetic oil, (believe all synthetic brands are good today)been using it everything since the 80's, never an engine failure, have run OT's up to 150K+, I go by how the oil looks not the miles, usually change between 6/8 K . As a kid 60's purchased some junkyard engines to swap in and lucked out, good engines, no plug troubles. Anybody remember the clear red plug wires, used 1X, short time, with moisture more spark out of wire than in, car ran poorly in the rain.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. clem

clem

Mine leaks so much that the oil must get changed just by topping it up.:D
    About 8 years since a proper oil change .......:eek:

thanks for the reminder.......

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  15. It's worth noting that the crap and sludge that builds up in the engine is mostly too big to leak out from anywhere but a large gaping hole in the oil pan (or maybe the drain plug). o_O The good stuff leaks out and the bad stuff stays behind. :oops: :eek:

MOTOV8N, HOTRODPRIMER, clem and 2 others like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Leave those plugs in too long and when you do go to pull them out you may find they don't want to come out, leading to potential bigger problems.

17. Taboo had the plugs replaced a couple years ago. Its been awhile on the 33 since they were replaced. on my o/t 68 Chevy's, one I changed them when I found a set of original 44's a couple years ago and then the other I just changed as I restored the rig as it had Champions and I hate those plugs, so swapped to AC Delco's

JeffB2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good luck finding some.
    Moriarity bought them all up with his Holley heist.

Damn hoarder.

They’ll bury him with 83,000 boxes of spark plugs all thanks to a Holley close out sale.

19. I have had that happen when I was a teenager, and have used anti-seize in the past with no ill effects, NKG say's do not, I would never install plugs in a aluminum head with out it.

BTW, I still use it on plugs. HRP

20. Nowdays, my cars had better learn from the example that my 27yr old craftsman riding mower has laid down. Same plug, oil. battery, fuel filter, tires, etc. I swear the damn thing thrives on neglect. Too busy out in the shop to worry about maintenance on anything without a wing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. I have to rejet the Holley on my 355 sooner than later, I have all the stuff. I run an octane booster now and then and I get those orange deposits, plus they load up with the size of my primary jets. Plugs in aluminum heads, use never seize and torque them for best results.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

23. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Very seldom change plugs......but always have three or four handy.;)

DSC01073.JPG

24. Truckedup

Truckedup

sloppy mechanics get Never Seize on the porcelain parts, the plug shorts out, they bitch the plugs are junk...NGK just says no to avoid the hassle...

25. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I used to have to change my plugs at least once a year, then I rebuilt my carburetor and have not changed them in 4 years (leaking power valve I think).

26. twenty8

twenty8

Now that's funny right there...........:D:D:D

Rest in peace...........NOT............He will be dug up every time someone here needs to change their plugs......

HOTRODPRIMER and clem like this.
  27. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I just had the same thing. Was fouling plugs like crazy, rebuilt the carb, good to go.

HOTRODPRIMER and bill gruendeman like this.
  28. That's pretty cool. HRP

[​IMG]

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

How clean the plugs look after how many hours of use?
    If the plugs were installed and the engine has only run for 30 hours, I am not surprised.

Jimbo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. I’ve never had a plug that wouldn’t come out in an old car, late model stuff with aluminum heads yes, but not old engines. My Chrysler was driven then parked for 25-30 years, spun right out

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.