Register now to get rid of these ads!

When will the hamb app start working again?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by dare-to-be-different, Jun 8, 2021.

1. I haven't been able to see anything lately.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  2. It's gone for good.

Thor1 and flatheadpete like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

simply use your phones browser to access the full site. easy as pie and way better than the app ever was

Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. The app was my only way in for quite a few years.
    I can't spend my whole afternoon tunneling under the fence just to peek and see if anything new happened.
    There just isn't enough bored-out-of-your-gourd time to make it worth blowing a whole afternoon doing what used to take just a few mins.

Oh well....
    ..... so much for that...
    it was fun while it lasted...

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I don't get it. It takes me seconds to check the hamb and I don't use the app.... And the app sucked, it's way easier to log in with your browser.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Takes less than 5 seconds at most on the Browser......for the HAMB to come on.

After that 1-2 seconds browsing different posts.

7. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill, just log in with your browser, it's actually very easy. HRP

8. ............What!?......o_O:confused:

9. This would be hilarious if it just wasn’t such a damn good example of where society seems to be headed.

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of my posts are made from my phone. I have never used the app. Why is it a dealbreaker? Any smartphone that supports the app also has a variety of internet browsers that handle the forum just fine.

TerrytheK, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. I placed an icon on my home screen. Click it and I see all HAMB threads that have new posts since my last visit.
    I never logout. Just close the browser window when I'm done.

12. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I’m still using the app. Only issue is to reply I have to hit the “+” to open its own window then type away.

13. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

Bummer it has to be this way, bring tech savvy this just makes me have to go out of my way, it’s worth it, just a bummer. so do I just delete the app now?

14. HalleysRevenge

HalleysRevenge

Oh cool app still works!

15. HalleysRevenge

HalleysRevenge

Ope pictures won’t post….

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

In case you fellas missed it.......from Ryan.

The Basics:

The H.A.M.B. App is ran by Tapatalk. On top of that, some of you use the generic Tapatalk App to access the site as well.

The History:

We began using the BYO App and supporting Tapatalk very early in the game. As such, we were sort of grandfathered in to their old TOS.

The Change:

Since we've changed jalopyjournal.com from VB to Xenforo, Tapatalk no longer wants to honor the original TOS.

The Effect:

If we run on the new Tapatalk TOS, Tapatalk will gain access to your forum cookie and begin tracking you even when not on jalopyjournal.com. They also store all external link clicks from websites indefinitely with no ability to delete the data or stop the tracking. One top of this, it would be well in their rights to sell this data that they collect - including your email address.

These offenses are so bad, that Tapatalk was removed from many app stores earlier this year.

The Atomic Reaction:

Under no conditions will I allow our user's data to be accessed, collected, or sold.

Tapatalk's Reaction:

They've refused to communicate.

What Does This All Mean?

There's a very high likelihood that Monday will be the last day that H.A.M.B. (or any forum in the Atomic Network) will support Tapatalk or the native apps they built for us. Regardless of user feedback, usability, or anything else... I refuse to be the guy that lets data leak and privacy be intruded upon. It will not happen on my watch.

So... This is just a warning fellas. I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that all Tapatalk support is removed on Monday. I just wanted to make you guys aware so you can prepare and do what ya need to do before that happens.

And to be honest, We've been talking about ditching the app and Tapatalk before all this went down. Both suck anyhow..

17. So you're saying the app is gone? ;) just kidding

jmac1958 and Thor1 like this.
  18. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I don’t know if the app is gone or not, I don’t have a clue.
    All I know is that due to the changes I can’t use or figure out how to use this site any longer and I am disappointed about that.

I only have an I Pad to use and I am most certainly NOT a computer guru.

I am confident that there are talented computer users on this site that could write a clear description about the site and how it is supposed to work. If that is done I should be able to successfully make the best use of the site. I will be
    very grateful if that is done.

Thanks, Dave V.

59 restomod corvette likes this.
  19. So do you look at other things on the internet on you pad? I don't own an iPad, but everybody around me does, and they're always on the internet. Go to Google and type in jalopy journal. Or the hamb. Go there and log in

20. @Wheeliedave , using your browser, Safari or ?
    On the red bar at the top of this page, where it says jalopyjournal.com,
    Click or tap on the three horizontal bars to the right.
    Then click or tap on HAMB.
    That will take you to the forums.
    This stuff is not that hard. Just keep navigating until you get where you want to be.
    Hope this helps.

21. Dave, how did you post the above reply? You had to log on to do that right? Everything else is explained in the rules and tutorial sections.
    When you open the questions and suggestions section, the tutorial section is at the top under the heading. Lots of good info there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

23. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

My.phone defaults to app, have to use desktop

smokin62 likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

simply use safari or google or whatever browser your phone uses, then go to the jalopyjournal.com then access the hamb and log in, it is that simple. all you can access on tapatalk is this questions and suggestions forum

25. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uninstall the app and it won't be able to do that.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

General !Phone question: I'm two months away from turning 71, can never afford an !Phone, can't stand the obscenities' involved with someone trying to show photos on one. How come I've NEVER SEEN anyone with an owners manual?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. Usually phone manufacturers post a manual on the web for every phone model.

The37Kid likes this.
  28. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been a member of the H.A.M.B. for a long time and I have never used the app on my phone. (I hate "apps"!) The times I've logged in from my phone, I do what @Moriarity says and it works just fine. Spend a little time doing it this way and you won't miss the app at all:

And if you read the post by @corncobcoupe you'll appreciate why the "app" was ditched.

29. I guess he wasn't willing to try anything different, he hasn't been back since his last posting. HRP

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad, doesn't know what he's missing. :oops: