Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1944 Chevy 1.5 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Jeff, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I found a great deal on a 1944 1.5 ton Chevy truck with a perfect restored cab with only 2 owners. The truck is complete running driving with a dump bed. I would like to make it into a little hotrod with 350/th350 combo. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what is involved, possible, or whether it is worth shortening the frame, disk brake 5 lug conversion, rear end swap, etc. I have a spare straight axle from a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton that is ready to go. I am not opposed to running a straight axle in the truck, but don't know the difference between the 1/2 ton and 1.5 ton axles or if it will bolt right up?

I am not familiar with this era of trucks. I have a 1953 Chevy 1/2 ton and don't know how similar the two are or if anything swaps from the two.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

-Jeff

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

1-1/2 ton has larger fenders 20 inch truck wheels, it would look dumb with car sized wheels....The frame is much larger and heavier than you need...
    Why hack up a nice stock old truck that could actually be used as a truck, find 1/2 or 3/4 ton...My opinion

F-ONE, Bob Lowry and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Wartime trucks, even the bigger trucks are....well, special. There's not many of them.
    Besides, sometimes you need a dump truck or big flatbed.

stillrunners and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

the cab, hood, grille and radiator support is the same as a 1/2 ton so you can bolt those parts to a 1/2 frame. the fenders do have bigger openings for the bigger wheels, some guys do it that way and looks different. the big trucks are cool but not real usable for a cruiser. they are slow and rough riding.

5. I saw one a guy had installed onto a 1 ton 60-61 chassis. Looked like it came that way.

Ben

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

The PU trucks of that era were also slow and rough riding.
    We has this 45 Chevy two ton short wheelbase truck for a number of years. It was a dump in a past life, I made the flatbed. replaced the worn 216 with a late 50's 235, rebuilt the suspension and removed a few rear spring leaves.
    My wife used it as a daily driver for work and shopping. Taught herself to double clutch the non synchro trans.We used it haul stuff....
    Slow? Yes, about 50 mph cruising speed..but it was pisser to drive, howling gearbox, the metallic hiss from the engine, the ride was stiff but manageable. I suppose a stiff riding hotrod with a loud exhaust is somehow more luxurious....:D
    8119741986_ca359aca00_z.jpg

tractorguy, 41 coupe and Oilguy like this.