Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4-bar bushing failure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Ottavi, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

I have a four bar front axel set up on my 32' 5-window. I have replaced the bushings in the front end several times. They eventually fail and come out in pieces. They don't get egged out, just brake up into pieces. There is no vibration/bump steer you can feel thru the steering wheel while you are driving. I live in the mountains with lots of curvy roads and some are bumpy and rough. It gets driven frequently when the roads are dry. The bushings are not rubber, but some type of hard plastic. If I can find them, would it be wise to replace them with rubber ones. Also they have a steel insert in them that the bolt goes thru. Any thoughts on the on going pain in the ass would be most appreciated.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Those may be urethane type of bushing material. I have herd stories of the same thing happening . As they age , used for daily driving they brake down and fail. I would recommend going to a factory type of rubber bushing material for your application.
    Vic

3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like urethene bushes. I've had some with over 70,000 miles on them and others haven't lasted a year! I think Pete and Jakes make the good ones. Many are just too tough and break up. They need a bit of flex / squish to them, but not too much!

Chris

alanp561 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

some of them come with lube....did you install them dry?

alanp561 and fauj like this.

5. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Squirrel’s right. There is a special lube for the urethane bushings.Installed dry they won’t last long.

6. A Boner

A Boner

Did you try purchasing bushings from Pete & Jakes? Ive been told the S....W.. ones do as you describe!

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have had new j bar bushings break up just sitting on the shelf. Always need to check them every so often and replace .

chopnchaneled likes this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The first four bars that Pete and Jakes made used rubber control arm bushings from I believe 64 Chevy. You’d have to check diameters. Pete & Jakes sells new utlrethane bushings, Prothane also has bushings.

9. Andy

Andy

I always use the oil impregnated brass bushings.The original set I used 30 years ago are still being used. The plastic ones are long gone.
    I need to expand what I said. I use them only where the other end has the freedom to rotate. I have used them mostly on leaf spring ends in shackles. I would not put them in both ends of four bar links. One end needs to be able to twist.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  10. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

The bushings in a four bar setup needs to take quite a bit of movement. It may be wise to have "soft" bushings at least in one end of each bar, to handle such movement. The bushing doesn't just rotate, it twists too.

dana barlow, loudbang, pitman and 3 others like this.
  11. I have a Pete and Jakes four-bar system that they installed in 1997. I have yet to get the project on the road, but the bushings have since deteriorated and crumble in my hands, so I'm hoping that their bushing packs today are of a higher grade. Otherwise, I'll be looking for rubber bushings, which I'd prefer anyway.

loudbang and 5window like this.
  12. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Guys, thank you for your information. Off to try to track down some different bushings.

5window likes this.
  13. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

the urethane composition has changed in the past 10 or so years, apparently due to some chemical that is damaging to the environment being removed making the material hydroscopic and degrading the bush.

I have had 2 fail like this, some guys building a car over a number of years have had them fail even with out the car hitting the road.

If I see 20 year old red polyurethane bushes at swaps I buy them, these typically have the older composition.

14. I had an O/T vw rabbit a few years ago I put urathane bushings in and they failed rather quickly.

I swapped them out with prothane bushings and they lasted a long time , all the suspension bushings cam with a grease fitting and special grease that kinda looked like Vaseline but much more slippery.

I ended up swapping the prothane engine mounts out back to stock rubber ones as they where way to stiff.

hope this helps to get you the correct compound bushing for the application. Every application needs a different amount of flex

jag steering rack bushings from the factory are so soft we used to call them cheddar cheese bushings.

we would swap in TRW bushings which were still soft, but stiffer them oem and it made an incredible difference in steering feel without having the car feel rough

15. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Everyone keeps saying the bushings are urethane. The last sets of four bar bushings I got were made of nylon. I don’t think they last nearly as long as urethane. But they don’t squeak.
    One set was Pete and jakes and one set came from speedway.
    I did drill and tap the bar ends for grease fittings, so hopefully these last longer.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I had the same thing happen to the bushings in my '32 sedan--4K miles on it. Thinking of machining some Delrin bushings and giving that a try.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm running a set of P&J 4 bars on my '33. The newspaper they were wrapped in is/was dated 1979, and they are the black bushings. Been on the shelf till 2018. My uncle bought them and never built the car, but he did have the foresight to also purchase the "new" (I think they're red / orange) microflex urethane bushings with them. After 4,000 miles (so far) the black ones are hanging tough - that included a trip to Knoxville and York.

7336143F-7358-467F-BDB8-09164C259FBB.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  18. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I have no personal experience with these over time, but a good friend of mine swears by them and he drives his stuff. I’ve had these leftover for quite a while as I used some of them for various mounting situations other than suspension parts. If they’re still available, they did have a couple different sizes and came with an inner steel sleeve that spanned the width of a pair. Hope this helps BC93B10B-6A02-438D-A490-1DDA02AB82D3.jpeg

19. I used some from S----W & they did not last to the first oil change. They just crumbled & fell
    out. I replaced them with Pete & Jake's & have no other problems.

A Boner likes this.
  20. Last year I ordered new bushings for the 4 bar front and rear from TCI, the original were rubber with a steel sleeve's the replacements are urethane and man did it make a big improvement in handling, they replaced the 33 year old bushings. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  21. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Just changed a set on my Model A and they came from Speedway. Like the one I had but the flanges had rotten off .But my panard bar was totally gone.But had them in there in the 90's.Bought them at Shades back then.Made it ride a little smoother but Maybe I just think so.

dana barlow likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A lot of 4 bar set up's are,not really lined up well*. When installing new centers of any type,looking at how well the end not yet hook/bolted in place=line up with were it is too go? Can tell you if there is some misalignment*.
    The road movement dose brake up them over time,but if they start out with any misalignment strain,that makes a faster fail.
    I also think,as already stated,that most new bushings are not made as well.
    None of the hot rod parts Co. really make there own,it's a outsourced,some may order there name on them < if a big order lets them/also means cost is higher.
    Over the years,I just keep replacing them,knowing,I should of used rodends to start with,but didn't. When I replaced the hole rearend* n mount design I had before.