Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Smitty’s Chrome work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by L. Eckart, Jun 8, 2021.

1. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I did a search but didn’t find anything.
    Anyone have experience with Smitty’s Chrome in Oshkosh, Nebraska?

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Not bad, a little on the high side. they don't copper plate under unless you ask/pay extra. I've had them do work in the past that was nice quality.

I priced them and priced Quality Plating in Yuma Co most recently for my t bucket parts, and ended up taking my parts to Yuma. Happy with their price and turnaround

stillrunners likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

They don't use copper unless you pay extra? That's like not using primer under your paint.

Just Gary and stillrunners like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@alchemy , maybe Im mistaken. Maybe it was Nickle they skip unless you pay. But to me it was odd to skip the steps of what I've always known chrome to be. Yeah. It was strange enough, that between it and the price difference I chose Yuma and they did a great job for me Still quite local to a CO/NE/KS kind of person

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

nickel is the shiny bit, chrome is the "clear" copper stops corrosion, no copper no deal for me.

da34guy, Max Gearhead and fauj like this.
  6. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Copper is the primer/filler that is usually buffed prior to the nickel strike.
    Old SUNBEAM toasters made in Australia had copper base coats in the 60's. Cyanide is the chemical used for copper plating and when they had a storage tank leak into a local waterway it caused a MAJOR upheaval so all later model toasters had only nickel and chrome plating ....... and not as deep a looking chrome finish.

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Regarding the copper step....
    Back in the early 80's I had Brown's Plating do a lot of plating for my motorcycle. A few months later I rode it on the beach at Daytona. The next day there were little red rust dots on the steel parts so I washed it real well. I called Brown's and asked them about it and that's when I learned about the all important copper step.
    Yea, they didn't do it, nickel-chrome only, I had no idea.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

No copper is half-assed. No go.