Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stripped window regulator repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongroofRon, Jun 6, 2021.

1. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

Hopped in my wagon, went to roll the window down and it just went chunk-chunk, and the window didn't move... makes sense after 300+ thousand miles I guess. I pretty much always drive with the window down, so this was unacceptable. Basically rendered the car useless to me, I couldn't stand it. I sourced out another one at a junkyard, but it was used, so it was probably wore in the same spot anyway. Thus I decided just to fix my regulator, mostly because I'm cheap. Took some pictures along the way and figured I'd do a little write up on it

ClayMart likes this.
  2. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

So here's the problem area. The rest of the teeth were okay, so I'm just going to fix the ones that were real bad. 20210530_130146.jpg

fauj likes this.
  3. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

I cut out a piece of some similar thickness steel, clamped it to the bad area, and sprayed some dykem steel blue over it to transfer over the location of the teeth. 20210530_130826.jpg

Ford52PU and fauj like this.
  4. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

I cut out the area in the old regulator to fit the patch in, and tacked in the new piece, making sure to line up the pattern of the teeth. 20210530_132318.jpg

'40ford, Ford52PU, fauj and 1 other person like this.

5. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

With the new piece on place I put a center punch mark for each tooth, in approximately the middle of the gullet for each tooth. 20210530_133007.jpg

gary macdonald, Ford52PU and fauj like this.
  6. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

Next I dug through the drill bits and found one whose diameter matched the gullet of the tooth, and drilled out each center punch. 20210530_133524.jpg

Ford52PU and fauj like this.
  7. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

I cut of the excess of the patch, to a little larger than the major radius of the teeth. 20210530_134505.jpg

8. Budget36

Budget36

9. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

I used a cutoff wheel to cut to the bottom of the tooth and rough it out, and them sanded the top of the teeth a little closer to their final height. 20210530_135115.jpg

Ford52PU, LAROKE and fauj like this.
  10. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

I finished off each tooth with the file. A little tedious, but if you go one at a time you can test it as you go using the teeth in the crank. And just like that it's ready to go back together. The gears mesh pretty smooth, especially once it's in the door again, its hard to feel any hiccups. 20210530_140915.jpg

Packrat, osut362, VANDENPLAS and 11 others like this.
  11. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

Just a quick demo, hopefully that will help someone fix a part they don't want to, or just can't buy.

BigRRR, Budget36 and leon bee like this.
  12. Just missed tech week!

fauj and anothercarguy like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now that's tenacity ! Good job.

14. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

That's pretty good. Lotta patience there. As an alternative, if you have a similarly worn spare, how about splicing in a good section of the spare's teeth from where it is less worn-to save effort?

LongroofRon and RMR&C like this.
  15. brading

brading

Nice job you have made of that repair. You certainly have got patience

LongroofRon likes this.
  16. Well played! Especially since it's the kind of repair that requires a bit of forethought and planning and not a lot of specialty tools and equipment that you may not already have in your shop. :cool:

Wonder if this could have been done by clamping your repair plate onto the back of the regulator in an area where the teeth are still in good shape? Then, with the proper size bit, bore into the repair section using the existing teeth as a drill guide.
    :rolleyes:

LongroofRon likes this.
  17. larry k

larry k

I just mig welded up the damaged teeth bigger than they needed to be , and ground and then filed them to size using the good ones as a pattern ,looks and works good .

LongroofRon and fauj like this.
  18. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Looks good. The way I have repaired them in the past is just to weld onto the existing metal then shape the weld into the teeth. Has been holding for over 10 yrs now with electric windows.

Looks like @larry k did the same and beat me to the response.

LongroofRon and fauj like this.
  19. Great work, very creative! Thanks for sharing!

LongroofRon likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Restoring a car at $100 an hour is the reason some stop or never should have started. Your repair is they way I think. How can I do this myself? I just replaced a refrigerator part I had repaired 3 times that wasn’t available until lately. Call me cheap or resourceful but I will try almost anything and always have.... my dad was the same.

fauj, Wanderlust, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  21. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

22. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

Oh true, that would probably be a better way to get a good transfer of the teeth profile. Just have to line up the edges, but the radius would be the same

23. LongroofRon

LongroofRon

Exactly. Having a car that you can't buy parts for really taught me that lesson, but I'm glad I kept that mindset.

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Kudos..to you.
    This is actually fixing something rather than replacing it. In the era of crappy replacement parts, more of us will need these types of skills.

LongroofRon and Budget36 like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is WOW, that is quite an effort and pretty well all hand done.

LongroofRon and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nice job! Mart at Marts Garage on YouTube just posted a video onthe weld up the worn teeth and file process. Man, the HAMB is so full of useful tech and great humour I don't know why non car people aren't members!

LongroofRon likes this.
  27. Good job on the rebuild. Agree that a home repair not only saves money, but gives great satisfaction in saving a part.

fauj and Wanderlust like this.
  28. A lot of time and effort, with a great result..well done.

fauj likes this.
  29. trollst

trollst

Showoff.....I'd never have thought of that. Simple, so simple, I could do that, great idea.

fauj and Budget36 like this.
  30. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers