Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Northwest Deuce Days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that's a hopeful thing!

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, and you can bet the "city fathers" will all bring their PT Cruiser, Prowler, and HHR "hot rods"!

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Langford is an up and coming area. You can still visit Victoria from there quite easily.
    I'm not too sure about how many hotels are there in Langford though.
    Someone has to put the bug in the mayor's ear about this. But then it will still take a
    lot of volunteers.

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Burtzz

Burtzz
    from Alberta

Certainly hopeful that this event happens again. I went in 2019 for the first time, and it was an incredible time.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as the area around the harbor in Victoria goes I'd say the car folks increased the local sales times over. The show didn't affect people going in on the ferries except maybe on Sunday unless they thought they were going to park on the main drag when they drove off the ferry. Sunday they were routed around the down town area but anyone who was there will say that it didn't slow down the foot traffic off or on the ferries and may actually increased it a bit with people doing the carless thing to take the ferry from Vancouver or maybe even Port Angeles.
    Huge numbers of people seem to go back and forth between Victoria and the mainland by walking on and off the ferries anyhow. Each time a ferry landed there would be a mass of foot traffic though the down town area.
    You flat didn't need a car in down town Victoria on any of the five days I was there unless you took your hot rod out for show and tell. I'd say most guys with cars found a spot early and that is where the car stayed until they put it back in the hotel parking lot. A sweet little baby doll blue 32 Roadster stayed in the parking garage with the stealth car all week and they pulled out Sunday morning for the show.

Still it is a big load to put on one person even if someone steps up to take over. It would pretty well have to be someone who has worked alongside Al Clark for a couple of the shows and knows what is involved first hand and has the list of who's who to deal with and what you deal with each on. Then throw in city politics or change in leadership. Some individuals now days aren't going to buy into the "we are planning on doing an event down town that will bring in 1500 hot rods" all that readily even though each one of those hot rods probably averages out to a minimum of 1000 US dollars to the local economy over a four or five day period. My hotel room ran 680 for four nights and it was far from the most expensive.

Still if someone puts on an interesting event on Vancouver Island you can sign me up. My wife talks all the time about going back up there and we would plan on going.

USMercUte and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I have been in the car show/ hot rod scene since 1973, Lodi . I attended Deuce Days for the first time in 2019. In my opinion, it was THE BEST event I have ever attended.

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Vancouver island has a lot more to offer than just the city of Victoria (they often forget that) . July is a great time to be here and there are hundreds of cars cruising around all weekend in almost every town.
    I am sad to see DD pass but moving it to Bear mountain is a mistake in my books. It's roads are too small and the area doesn't have the right feel. Leave golf course communities to golfers.

8. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Anybody know if there has been any changes. Someone on Facebook said there has been movement, but i could not verify and they would not elaborate.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say the main issue is that there isn't someone that Al Clark feels confident to turn it over to. That is a lot different than putting an event on at a fairgrounds or race track or other shall we say enclosed venue. Rods fill the down town Harbor area for three days before the actual event on Sunday when the streets are blocked off and anything including registered participant vehicles are towed after the streets are blocked off. Then at early thirty on Sunday they let all of the 32's in along with the non 32's and their crew parks you. Non 32 Ford rigs get parked on the side streets in what you might call the cheap seats. Sill great spots though.
    Ferry traffic is routed up a street and out of the down town area. That isn't a big issue for most folks in cars except they don't get to drive through the harbor area and see the Parliament building or the Embassy hotel. If you are headed to one of the hotels you have to back street your way to it. Foot traffic off the ferries just walks down the street past the cars often looking at cars as they go or head down, bag drug behind headed to their destination.
    Still all of that takes a lot more effort than making a deal with a venue, telling the local tourism group and collective hotel/motel association that you are putting on an event and expecting X number of participants and double checking the town's event calendar to make sure that you aren't scheduling your car show on the same weekend as another high draw event.
    The local air show guys decided that they wanted to put on their air show at the airport one year on the same weekend as the Yakima Vintique's NW nationals that at that time drew 1300 pre 48 cars. Air show people whined because people wanting to go to the air show couldn't find rooms, They also whined because ticket sales were down because people had planned to go to Vintiques and spent their money there. It's details like that that someone has to deal with. Participants at the Vintiques show quite often reserve their room for the next year when they check out of the motel after the show.

I'd love to go if they do come up with someone to manage the show next year but it's a no pay year long long hour job to get it done.

warbird1 likes this.
  10. I got a e-mail on Friday stating it is going ahead with The Victoria Tourist Board doing the work and Al Clark advising when necessary.
    The are hopping to open registration by August 15.

pprather, Rramjet1 and Bondo Slinger like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

YAHOOOOOOOO!!!! Now I better get my butt in gear....

By the way Mr.48Chevy, it's the "Legislature" building and the Empress (as in Queen Victoria, empress of the British Empire) Hotel. As a former teacher I just wanted to educate you and no disrespect intended. LOL

HemiDeuce and seadog like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

I hope the tourist board doesn't make any changes to the year of manufacture cut off. Its only my opinion but the magic will be diluted. Somehow seeing a stock 1985 Corvette next to a Amber winning roadster just doesn't do anything for me.
    The very first informal event was a just show up affair. Al passed out a bunch of pins at a gathering in California saying show up, you should see Canada. A bunch of guys did just that, bringing along a few cases of beer in the back of someone's tub. Of course the beer got confiscated at the boarder and they guys never did get the beer back... LOL.

14. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Boy that is some hopeful news. I did not get my 32 finished in time for the 2019 event. I went for 4 days and it was incredible. The cars, the city, and the people....WOW IMG_5805.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  15. redo32

redo32

This popped up on '32 FB page:

North West Deuce Days 2022
    There are a lot of rumors going around and I wanted to find out what was going on so I wrote to the Victoria Visitors Bureau and this was the reply;
    Hello Mr. Yamasaki:
    My name is Paul Nursey and I am the CEO of Destination Greater Victoria, the official tourism board in Victoria. We have been involved in supporting Northwest Deuce Days for several iterations.
    We can confirm that we are in advanced discussions to operate Northwest Deuce days in 2022. As you know Al Clark would like to retire from the event and enjoy it if possible. We wish to ensure Al is engaged and provides his wisdom and advice whilst we engage the next generation of car enthusiasts to partner with us to execute the event.
    However, I must stress that the details are not yet confirmed. We hope to have this completed within the next two weeks or so and will make an announcement as soon as possible.
    So to answer your question, there is a strong likelihood that the event will go forward July 22-24 but we are not quite a the point of an announcement.
    Please feel free to reach out to us in the weeks ahead.
    Many thanks,
    Paul
    [​IMG]
    =AZWNf2FhIpVMSOuM38BmOw13s3kzvuCySfdl9ShdYLsnQ83v9kaMzqA93xRRflIhIgVfARkwvGmj1p97lIq2mbZBB0NgZhiRPoFAbdiAqk_1t-BKbhLxfq4GASKnKhCEAmLcNs64YwS1eZgccoOuZSVEnt557Na_gWVviywyZ_jlfhRiSz4MW_rQ9drNR6tcTco&__tn__=EH-R']
    =AZWNf2FhIpVMSOuM38BmOw13s3kzvuCySfdl9ShdYLsnQ83v9kaMzqA93xRRflIhIgVfARkwvGmj1p97lIq2mbZBB0NgZhiRPoFAbdiAqk_1t-BKbhLxfq4GASKnKhCEAmLcNs64YwS1eZgccoOuZSVEnt557Na_gWVviywyZ_jlfhRiSz4MW_rQ9drNR6tcTco&__tn__=EH-R']

1 Share

Comment

Beanscoot and warbird1 like this.
  16. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just read this! No further details.
    Deuce Days is now confirmed as a go! July 14-17 2022.
    Warren

17. redo32

redo32

18. Any word on registration?

19. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

The event will be 14, 15, 16 and 17th.
    14th is arrival day registration cruise the harbor and play baseball (?), 15th will be three tours (garden, fishing or sea plane) 16th is the poker run. 17 is the show.
    Registration will open on August 30th. Go to www.NorthWestDeuceDays.com. to register on line
    If Covid is still a problem and the event is cancelled then refunds will be issued.
    Best,
    Glenn Yamasaki

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  20. Lil32

Lil32

Glenn,
    thanks for information
    cannot make it from Australia,Govt will not let us fly
    we met on Greybeard tour,hope your roadster has been repaired
    Noel

21. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

Hey Noel, Its good to hear from you! Sorry to hear I won't be seeing you next year at this nor LARS. Hopefully things will go right with this virus before next year. For now we can't get over the boarder into Canada.
    The roadster is right as rain, thank you for asking.

Lil32 likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the update. I'll stick that on my calendar.

Rooms have been hard to find for those days, I'm not sure if guys booked them up the minute that they saw the days the event was going to be or if it is a case of motels not scheduling that far ahead.
    One outfit wanted full payment 13 months in advance.

23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If you declare it, you can bring the following into Canada duty free
    (copied from a random website, I couldn't find the info on the actual Canadian gov't site, for US citizens):

U.S. citizens crossing the border into Canada to visit are allowed to bring the following item quantities into Canada duty free:
    • 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 cans or bottles of beer.
    • 1 carton (200 cigarettes), up to 50 cigars, and 200g of loose tobacco
    • Up to $60 in gifts per recipient. (excluding alcohol and tobacco)
    • You can bring a “reasonable amount" of perfume.
    • There are no restrictions on cameras
    • You can bring a “reasonable amount” of film
    • You can bring gifts duty free so long as none exceed $60
    You have to be over 18 for the smokes and 19 for the booze to bring it into B.C.

You can also bring your dog from the USA, but you must produce proof of rabies vaccination. However, I didn't look into the requirements for bringing a dog back into the US - it would be unpleasant to learn you couldn't bring him back.

Don't forget to fuel up in Blaine, Washington, as gasoline is a lot more expensive up here. Or conversely, feel free to buy it here and help pay down Canada's national debt.

24. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey akbo47
    I am not having any luck opening the http://www.northwestdeucedays.com/ link...

...well, in fact what I see is just a black screen with Nort West Deuce Days in small white print.
    Do you, or others, feel that the site hasn't gone live yet ...and perhaps probably won't until Monday Aug. 30 ?!?

I recognize that I am terribly lazy at answering other member's queries ...so won't be surprised if y'all pass and won't answer mine. No worries ...just throwing it out there as perhaps other's may have encountered the "black screen" as well.

Hope to get online Monday... and get down n' Deuce Days '22 !!

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've searched all of the Victoria sites that are somewhat connected and haven't found a link yet.
    Next is to search for an old email from registration for 2019 and go from there.

26. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks to keep looking Mr48chev !!

...if I hear from my brother-in-law after his '32 breakfast brunch bunch talk, I will report back here with what the good word to" register " is

27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yep, I get the "The connection has timed out" message.
    And I'm in Victoria, and have a good pair of rabbit ears on the computer.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't find an email from them in about two hours of searching files as far as old email goes.

Rooms seem to be hard to get. I did get one two blocks behind the Parliament building. The place we stayed last time didn't have any rooms no matter where you checked.

29. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...if this is what you see, then you are on the correct website and this screen image will go live Monday August 30th.

...not sure of when in the morning this will happen, it is operated( as I am to understand ) by a Gov't agency assisting the Tourism Board in Victoria
    ...so your " by guess " is probably better than my " by golly ", I am considering using both as per usual.

Aside from that... there does not seem to be any fears coming by way of The Boys Of Deuces( that brunch ) as to the website address that akbo47 provided NOT going live on Monday

...I understand that perhaps their fears pertain more to the morning coffee and perhaps that age old " dropping a deuce " scenario ...and, at that, I can't honestly validate to be with truth... as I was not actually physically there ?!?

...just me, typing quietly hear, messin' with your shaking head ...as you mutter " What an idiot. " " Was that additional crap really necessary ? "

Yours truly( an idiot ),
    S2
    [​IMG]

Lil32 likes this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to believe that it is a case of you can't register until we say you can register then.

Lil32 likes this.