Register now to get rid of these ads!

The California Kid at SEMA---not exactly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mickm, Nov 10, 2010.

1. RAY With

RAY With

Very nice job and I believe you captures it right on! I like the wheels on it now and it will look just a s good with the steelies. I have a 33 (avitar) and originaly put knock off's on it and went back to the steelies. There cool any way you decide to go and Kudo's to you for all the hard work and effort. It paid off big time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add me to that list, I think there were three graffiti coupe clones at this years Portland Roadster Show and one was a Model A.

I'm well documented as not being a fan of clones and not quite understanding the mentality for wanting one but this "tribute" car rocks my socks. One hell of a nice car and it's a tribute to my favorite 34 Coupe besides. Nice work and thanks for the no bones about it announcement about it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was at a one day outside show in So-Cal some years back, (the '80s) and looked over a '34 Coupe, very close 'clone' to the 'Kid'...

Looked at the lettering on the doors..."The Cosa Mesa Kid". I loved it.

4. Mickm

Mickm

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    I have given the "clone" thing a lot of thought since this post started and I can appreciate why some would not want to build a clone. Since mine is virtually identical on the outside (other than the 33 grill) but not the inside, my Kid is a "tribute" to what made me get into street rodding in the first place.

If I could own anything in the world, I would own an original Supermarine Spitfire fighter plane. There are only a few of these left and if you ever find one for sale it will run you somewhere above $2 million plus more than I could ever afford to keep it up. So obviously that is just not an option for me. The second thing would be the California Kid. But we know Jerry and Jason will never sell that sooooo, to realize a dream that is feasible (for me) would be to create a tribute to the Kid. So I did. Given this car had history linked to the original was icing on the cake.

This is how I approached this project and I could not be happier with the results.

If there is a down side, it would be that "every" car show I attend I am approached by people saying, "I thought Jerry would never sell that car". So I spend quite a bit of time telling the same story so as not to let anything think I am trying to pass off my car as the original.

I hope this makes sense. Never the less, the feeling I get crusin' down the road in my Kid is simply "living a dream".

Cheers!
    Mickm

5. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I use to see that car in the late 70's early 80's in Downey/Norwalk getting on the 605 FWY

6. 62rebel

62rebel

I love it. I don't care if it's a copy down to the last nut and bolt. I am instantly transported back to 1975 and my folk's living room where the Movie of the Week was just coming on, and some nobody named Martin Sheen was in a TV-movie with Vic Morrow and some other nobody name of Nick Nolte when I see that car....

chryslerfan55 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

great car as a tribute to the real one. if your car is a brother then mine is a red headed step cousin cause it was built in VanAmberg's garage with the original Kid being stored there for a while. stan vanamberg was a mechanic for the original pete&jake back in the early eightys...............your car looks great drive it with pride.....

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  8. It's hard to pull something like that off. Especially such a famous car that still exists. I can see how it would get old,explaining that it's not the original. Just have to have thick skin,for those who don't feel the same as you. Thumbs up buddy!

chryslerfan55 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  9. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I ran across this thread the other day and it reminded me to check Youtube. The full movie is on there. Watched it last night. One of my favorite cars. Nice car op.

10. Real, fake, copy, whatever, your car is really cool. Now where's my "California Kid" DVD?

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Mickm,
    I know this thread is years old, I know the car had moved on down the road, but what I’d like to say is “Thank You for having the tenacity to build it”.
    This is no easy task. Back in 87, PC3 was at the annual Blair’s Speed Shop Pizza Christmas Party with Limefire. I was lucky enough to see both of those Hot Rods be built (CK & Limefire).
    I asked Pete that day if he’d be offended if I were to build a version of the CK?
    He said “Heck No-Go for it!” I had-have a 34 Steel 3W that I was working on using all of the Temple City Pete & Jake’s parts that I had/have bought over the years.
    Being in my early 20’s then I got to a point and got realigned. I ended up doing another Hot Rod/Street Rod (of course with all P&J’s parts) and in the next 2 years I continued & built a very loose version w/o flames, or a louvered rear pan…..
    Of course the hood was louvered by same guy that did the CK, Eric Vaughn. I drove that car on the 1st R&C Americruise 93 with both Pete & Jake in their respective coupes, Pete always had access to his 34 even though The Slover’s owned it.
    I had the time of my life riding in with those characters, “Dream Achieved”.
    Later that year I decide to let parts of that 34 go while I kept others. The Build Dream Lives on.
    From possibly 1975 to approx May of 1981, Cris Carrier owned The CK. He made some improvements by putting a complete interior in it. He also put in a 32 3W coupe seat that eventually made its way into Billy Vinther’s 34 3W- Also formerly of Temple City, that coupe is now in NZ.
    Pete eventually had Mark Stephan remove all of the early Blair Chassis Shop-PC3’s handiwork and put on all of the contemporary P&J’s Chassis Components along with a Super Bell Chromed Dropped Axle on Paris “Fish Products” rolling stock.
    This is “The Kid” that most people in the 1980’s saw but Pete only kept it another 4 years before it made its way to Grandview.
    The version that exists today is even updated from that 1982 update. It visually still resembles the Hot Rod from its past, but probably is the best representation of P&J’s present.
    The version that is in my head is the car that I came upon in 1972 going together in a Temple City 2 Stall.
    Pete informed me @ the time “Son, This Is A Hot Rod!” I’ll never forget that….
    Most people have done a car similar, but I have an idea of what I feel it should be, As long as everyone who worked on the original stays healthy, I’m going to try an eventually build Universal Pictures version of what Howie Horwitz had in mind for a Hot Rod,(side pipes removable). ;)
    I know that in the “I want a CK” Thread ya stated your reason for it going down the road, I only wished that I’d known that it was, you my friend did an excellent build of “Your Own Version if Your California Kid Coupe” be very proud that it exists as it’s been nearly 34 years since my conversation with PC3 @ the place which was one of the birth places of that Hot Rod and still haven’t completely achieved my goal as I’ve held on and keep collecting parts all these years all the while living my life..I hope to get back on it real soon…..

12. I took this photo at Good Guys Columbus in 2006.
    Pete & Jake.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

A really great image of those 2 former owners & their 34’s who may have released them to the Company that they started, one 20 years and the other 9 after their release. I’ve noticed though that even though the Company “Pete & Jake’s-The Slover’s” are the caretakers, “Pete & Jake” along with the many individuals who contributed will always be its builders so they will for many years to come will be associated with the creation of the “Are Coupes For Chickens” R&C cover cars 5AAF33FC-FDE6-4A07-B6D7-ED6C390FCB92.jpeg even as we all continue to roll on. Kudos @pprather for this classic image. (See thumbnail pix below).

Attached Files:

14. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

15. @Cyclone Kevin , just in the right place at the right time. I was standing right next to the GG photographer, they didn't pose for me.
    Gary Meadors moderated a Q & A in the building where they parked. In just a few minutes I felt like I know both P & J. Fun guys. Great hot rod history.

16. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Just reread this entire thread & still enjoyed it!! Outside of being introduced to Jesus Christ, being married to my wife for 35 yrs., enjoying a nice retirement and being involved in this sport/hobby is a great thing for me. At 77yo I just need a new can of elbow greese................

Cyclone Kevin and pprather like this.