Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 Hemi Mystery Rod Identification

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Good day, trying to identify these rods that came out of my 331 Hemi from 55/56 Nre Yorker, but was a factory rebuilt at one time. Rods seem to have the same specs as a hemi, but are forged and have the bearing tang on the opposite side. The two bearings pictured are a new Hemi bearing and a bearing from the rods. The bearing makes me think Pontiac, but most all Pontiac are cast and I've never seen a Poncho rod look like this. Any Thoughts? The machine shop lost one so need to either find a another one or buy a whole new set. hemi vs mystery.jpg bearing nr.jpg bearing nr2.jpg hemi vs mystery.jpg rod.jpg

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The machine shop lost a rod or a bearing?

3. squirrel

squirrel

looks like Caddy, 331-365 type

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

All of the EarlyHemi rods are forged. The '25N' is not familar. Is there a forging number on the other side?

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hans, not much to go on but thinking................................
    Have your machinist drag his hot tank with a rake, been there.

73RR likes this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm with Jim, looks like a 331 caddy rod. Lippy

7. squirrel

squirrel

The GM stamp on the bearing is one hint that it's not a Mopar rod :)

8. Haha! Of course....the had a 331 Caddy of mine as well and must have mixed them up. Yes, the GM M400 is the old Morain 400 bearing that GM used for years. Thank's for the helping the brain fart...and yes, the hemi and caddy rods are forged, but most Pontiac other than the SD rods where cast. Now to ponder on what rods to get for the missing full set of hemi rods. by the time I buy a set of used early rods and put ARP bolts in them, you are getting close to buy a set of new I or H beam rods for a Pontiac at $500 ish and modifying or Hemi H beam at $650. It's only a 450-500hp motor so doesn't really need them but if you are going to go a bit overboard, rods are a good place to do it.

9. Budget36

Budget36

I can see you doing the legwork, but shouldn’t the shop be responsible for the cost to replace?

10. Yeah, that would be optimal, but it's a bit of a shit situation as I moved from Texas to Norway some time ago and I had this work done in Texas and sent over in a container so by the time it arrives, gets sorted and I figured out there was missing parts several months had gone by so they aren't too willing to take responsibility...fair enough....sucks for me but I can understand from a business standpoint. Kinda...

Budget36 likes this.