Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banger Help - Model A Starter Drive (Pic Fixed)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Casual 6, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Just broke the starter gear on my Model A engine. I want to fix/replace the drive, but this setup looks different from what I expected. It looks like the drive is reversed on the shaft. Anyone know what's going on here?

I didn't put this together originally, so I don't know what parts were used. The engine does have an aluminum flywheel.

Any help figuring out what starter drive to order would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

no picture, but there is an old trick to use a v8 starter where they use a spring wound in the opposite direction. just a thought for you

3. Yep....maybe funny starter thru the Y-block days......Rusty has a great suggestion....

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@Casual 6 Walt do you want to send me the picture and I will re-post it for you, Cheers. Mark

5. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

BTT - Picture should show now.

6. dwollam

dwollam

Why not just use the aftermarket modern Bendix?
    I do.

Dave

7. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

After looking around, it appears I have a V8 flywheel on the Model A engine. That puts the flywheel ring gear further away from the starter & a stock Bendix setup won't engage.

Anyone have details on using a V8 flywheel on a Model A engine? Specifically what starter modifications are required.

8. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

All questions on how to modify the starter drive to use a V8 flywheel on a Model A engine is covered in a great article in the Secrets of Speed Society (SOSS) publication:

V8 Flywheel & Starter Conversion - R. MacHale V25.3 22-25 Jan 2016

It's copywrite protected, so I can't post a copy of it here. Reprints are available directly from the publisher: https://www.secretsofspeed.com/