Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Front Engine Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl Day, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Carl Day

Carl Day

Hopefully I am posting this in the right spot. Tomorrow I am going to look at a FED that appears to have been built in the 60s or 70s and I was hoping to not only get some advice on things to look out for but see if y'all thought it would be worth the time and money to bring her back from the dead. Mind you this will be my first real hot rod build. I have always dreamed of building on of these since I went and saw them as a kid.

Thanks
    Carl
    IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1840.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1845.JPG IMG_1846.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  2. This kind of stuff is always fun for sure. If your not aware of current rulings you could build something that can never make a Pass anywhere. Maybe that don't matter to you. Get an education, make some decisions, make sure you have a very deep Wallet before dragging home something the seller knows can't pass a current inspection.

3. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

That chassis would require so much work to make it legal to run, you would be better off building a new chassis. If you are looking to build a period correct restoration, and not worry about ever running it, you might be ok, but still lots of money ahead.

4. Run the other way as fast as you can. That has more problems than an expert can fix, much less a beginner as you stated you are. Nothing about it looks period correct, either. Looks very garage built. Definately not from the late 60's or 70's.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Roll bar looks 60's along with the leaf spring front end setup. Length looks mid to late 70's. You are looking at an old chassis that was stretched at some point. This would not be an ideal chassis to start with.

ottoman and oldiron 440 like this.
  6. pontman

pontman

I agree that this has been lengthened.

7. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

That is just a bunch of old steel tube.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Build a new legal chassis, even if you don't run the car the next guy might want to.

9. I started out with this and I can not get it will not certify for faster than 10 sec and it was still a bunch of work and money. (see https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flat-fed-build.436556) But most of the basics were there and I do nostalgia racing with it anyway and with the flathead I don't think Im gonna go faster that 10 sec anyway. Talk to you local track before going on a mission ya will regret. !cid_AE5FD20DF5B945EC97697E6BF66A014B@D8FM85D1.jpg

51504bat and quick85 like this.
  10. Driver50x

Driver50x

Not to rain on your parade, but you would have to buy every single part to complete that car. My advice is to find something much more complete to start with.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Barn rafter hanger!

Pist-n-Broke and Driver50x like this.
  12. That "might" make a Cackle Car but welds ground on the Cage portion get's ya the Boot from the Tec guys.

13. Based on the answers above I would suggest you include the price and your intentions, the answers may change somewhat.

("they want $1500 and I want to race it" as opposed to "they want $100 and I want to assemble it to hang in my man cave" will get two very different answers to your question).

I see front wheels ... does it come with anything else?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021