Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When is it time for a change?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e1956v, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Thanks for you and your family taking care of the old car hobby these past years and your continue help in the speedo repair. Enjoy your semi-retirement !

2. Budget36

Budget36

Hate to see a long time family owned business go, but seems like a win-win to me.
    I’m sure your pops would understand.

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Being in this hobby, it is sad to see our "needed services" disappear, but it is understandable since there is only so much demand for obsolete stuff. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's bittersweet for sure but the timing is right for you age wise and financially. Your end outcome could have been worse. Continuing on at home will keep your hands and mind busy as you transition into retirement. Best of luck to you!

I've been patronizing a local auto electric & rebuild shop (Broadway Auto Electric in Lemon Grove, Ca.) since the late 70's because their work is so damn good and they specialize/welcome old cars. I'll go by with a starter and if they don't have a rebuilt in stock, they'll rebuild mine within a few days. They have full service repair bays and there's always something interesting in there for work anytime I've been there like an old Packard, etc.

Joe Blow, hotrodjack33 and e1956v like this.
  5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A tough decision,, but probably the right one.
    Best of luck in your new, albeit smaller, venture.

I gotta ask...what about Tom?

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Tom is still living about a mile from the shop.
    He still comes in to bail my ass out if I need him, always happy to help. Tom and my dad have forgotten more about speedometers than I will ever know. It’s so cool to have him come in to the shop. I can still ask questions and gain knowledge from a guy who was working on speedometers from the late fifties and into the sixties while they were still under factory warranty. He said good job when he heard about my decision. I would call him when I got stuck pulling out a speedometer, he’d say there’s a hidden screw in such and such a place on top of the speedometer, if it’s still there then the speedometer has never been out of the car cuz no bastard is crazy enough to fight putting it back in on re- install. He did tell me never to call him for help removing the speedometer on a 57 Lincoln, he told me I’m not a fast runner anymore but you’ll never catch me cuz I’ll be running the other way on that one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    RICH B, alanp561, Rolleiflex and 11 others like this.
  7. Just as cool as Tom still being able and willing to help out is the fact that apparently your Dad appreciated and treated him well enough for him to remain for 45 years. That speaks highly of both of them.
    Tough to see a good vendor downsize, but good for you! Glad you're going to stay in the speedo biz.

8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

F9219368-262C-410C-8604-70EA55B1EDBE.jpeg
    My dad’s favorite sign still hanging up on the shop wall.

9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

F4AE7BF1-2AEC-4336-96D5-91A5C2F9E8ED.jpeg 8D017919-63F8-4B7D-ABE5-A636E8C3641E.jpeg
    Pikes Peak Hill Climb Corvette 1964

10. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you my friend.Enjoy this Life!

e1956v likes this.
  11. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I noticed you’re in Grand Junction, Thom Jamison the driver and co-owner of the hill climb Corvette later moved to Grand Junction to run Fish Brake and Clutch in downtown Junction. Have you ever heard of that shop?

12. jim snow

jim snow

Congrats on your semi retirement. After forty years you deserve it. Snowman

lothiandon1940, Joe Blow and e1956v like this.
  13. Sad to see more and more of these type shops close their doors, but life moves on. Good luck Rusty.

lothiandon1940 and e1956v like this.
  14. j3harleys

j3harleys

Well Rusty last time we talked you told me about this. Hate to see it happen :(but on the bright side we will probably see each other more since you will probably have more free time to get out:D If you need something feel fee to call. Unless it concerns carrying all that stuff out of the basement:eek: See you at some get together.

lothiandon1940, Joe Blow and e1956v like this.
  15. The electric motor guy we use retooled last year to get big time into AC motor rebuilds .

same as you unless it’s a really weird starter or alternator he just sells us a new unit, no core charge just come pick it up.
    Buying starter off him for common forklifts and equipment for under a 100 bucks. His labour rate is more then that.

2nd generation company and the kids took over great family dad, mom, 2 boys about my age and the aunt all work under one roof !!

they are saying in about 10 years DC motor rebuilding will be looooong gone, nothing really using then anymore and the cost to buy new stuff negates the cost of rebuilding them.

sign o the times.

Lots of industrial land is being bought up and turned into residential here in Toronto and Hamilton as well.
    Lots of out skirt farming communities are being developed also. Prices are nuts my house double in one year !!

e1956v likes this.
  16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Johnny always nice to see you at the shop. Maybe we can catch each other at the Tri-state swap meet next weekend in Denver, so did I hear you right? You said love to help getting all that stuff out of the basement, man your a lifesaver thanks!

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"The Times They Are A-Changin" - this is always true - a major situation where ya gotta do what ya gotta do - you have a good plan to still help out keeping our rides on the road - ironic that a shop that deals in automotive electric parts is closing while the big car manufacturers are switching over to all electric

e1956v likes this.
  18. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Rusty! I remember talking about this deal on the phone with you one day this spring and how I kind of went through the same deal with my dads business. We will be in the Springs in July, I will stop by if thats okay. See you then.

e1956v likes this.
  19. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Glad to have you stop by. I’ll let Johnny (j3harleys) know that’s the time we’ll start on the basement, you guys are the best!

Beanscoot and j3harleys like this.
  20. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I had something happen to me last year I think that brought a tear to my eyes. After finishing a speedo repair the back of the dial is signed with mileage recorded for warranty purposes, and just to say I was here and fixed this. Most all speedo guys do this. So I had a phone call from out of state for a repair on a 48 Dodge truck speedo, the guy sent it in to me for repair. Upon tear down I flipped the dial over and stopped dead in my tracks.
    There it was my dads initials (EB) in his fancy cursive script and a date from when he first started working at the shop along with the mileage. WOW! I finished the repair and signed below him. I almost hit the basement to find another dial so I could keep this one but decided to leave it for the next guy to see. E5940090-2807-452F-97BC-01B5F26A8FFE.jpeg

21. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

292CAD53-37BD-4E7C-9370-C53856E2E201.jpeg Artwork from @rusty1 here on the HAMB hanging over the work bench.

RICH B, Baumi, wraymen and 5 others like this.

22. How cool... he did that one on my 6th birthday!!!

lothiandon1940, Budget36 and e1956v like this.
  23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

So your dad's repair only lasted for 66 years before the speedo had to be fixed again? ;)

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Good luck with your next phase. Around Vancouver property values are nuts! Just a good way to increase property taxes and a crime against the younger generations who may never be able to afford a house. My wife sold as executor her parents home at th ebeginning of Feb. Five bids and she took the best which was approx. $250,000 over list.

Our local starter and generator/alternator shop is still going strong and I would rather have the, rebuild something for me than take a chance on the new stuff!

VANDENPLAS, e1956v and Budget36 like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

I’m with you. Can’t count the number of “new/rebuilt” discount AP starters, generators, etc that either didn’t work or only lasted a short time.

VANDENPLAS and e1956v like this.
  26. I am both happy and sad for you. Happy that you are getting a great price for the building and land. Also happy that you are keeping the speedometer business going part time, based at your house. But sad that current business is such thg that the electrical rebuilding side is not able to compete in our throw away world. Certainly doesn't help that the HAMB type vehicles are now retirement age or older themselves. Which leads to my next paragraph.

I wish you the best in retirement, enjoy the time to do what you want to. Go to more car shows, go on bucket list trips. It will be tough cleaning out and stopping the business in that cool old building. If that building could only talk. But don't feel bad about your decision, instead take satisfaction and pride that you held on as long as you have.

27. A good developer would integrate that cool old building into what ever mixed use they build. It has been done elsewhere to great success and the neighborhood retains some history

Joe Blow and e1956v like this.
  28. 54stude

54stude

I wonder if you could maximize your money in cores by grouping parts to sell on eBay, and fill flat rate shipping boxes with these parts. For example 3 manual transmission. Studebaker v8 12v starters, including extra brushes. Etc.

we still have an old auto electric shop here that is doing well, and I try to support it with even my late model business. He does open up and check even the new parts he sells that are imports. Open since 1905! https://www.generatorspecialty.com

e1956v likes this.
  29. We lost a great auto electric repair shop, " Bernies Auto Electric " in East Hartford, Connecticut about 5 years ago. They did great work, but couldn't compete with the the 3 local auto parts stores on price. But Bernies sure beat them on quality. I remember replacing a starter on my ex-wifes dodge Polara 4 times in one month before I got smart.After that, I took all my problems to Dave at Bernies. The only thing he ever asked me was " did anyone else screw with it before I brought it to him " he just wanted to know where else to look for problems. He is missed.

e1956v likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The starter/generator/alternator shop I used is closed and I did find another auto electric shop I’ve used once. They seem to know what they are doing. I’ve used your speedo service for advice and cables and cannot be happier. I hope you can keep that part going. Good luck..

Joe Blow and e1956v like this.