Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 t5 Swap Trans Crossmember Options??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzzbrother, Jun 4, 2021.

1. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Finally ready to dive into my T5 and open driveline conversion in the 54 210. Rebuilt the OG 235 and picked up a 92 S10 t5 and 4x4 rear out of an 93 S10 for pretty cheap over the winter.
    Have been looking looking and poking around last week or so. Bottom line is, I am a cheap bastard and don't want to drop $250 on the trans crossmember from HRW.
    Anyone out there know a more affordable route? Any HAMBers have a custom crossmember or how to thread??? I looked it up on the search and could find anything.
    If yall have any ideas or experience, Id love to hear and see them.

2. I realize you're talking about a 210, but I did this (T5 on a 235 combination) to my 51 Chevy pickup and modified the original trans cross member. Here is a link to my build thread in case you are interested: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/51-chevy-3100-project.672888/page-3

Also a pic of the modified cross member:
    [​IMG]
    I'm not familiar with the 210 cross member so don't know if something similar can be done in your case.

fattboyzz and buzzbrother like this.
  3. When I did mine on my 50 fleetline .

I cut out the original cross member and built a new one out of rectangular metal with a riser and used a stock S-10 rear trans mount

the metal was almost free as I got a local fabrication welder that lets me dig through his off cuts.

but a stick of metal is cheap and I think the mount was 12 bucks.

similar to the pic posted I bolted it to the sides of the frame rails like the pic above .

buzzbrother likes this.
  4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Made mine out of scrap steel also. Pretty easy to do. Cut out the center of original.

VANDENPLAS and buzzbrother like this.

5. I cut the center out of the original, welded flanges on both sides so it could be bolted back in. Welded a tab to hold the T5 trans mount.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shagged from the net this is a stock 54 sedan crossmember. The cut the center out and fab up your own center section that holds the rear mount in the right spot is a pretty viable solution and the make it removable is a solid suggestion. That extra hour on making the pieces to make it removable will probably pay off greatly the first time you need to pull the trans for any reason. 54  Chevy sedan trans crossmember.jpg

7. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

good stuff! Appreciate it. Now that I can see it, helps my brain figure it out.

VANDENPLAS likes this.