Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone remember The ET Shops in Chicago & Addison Illinois?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Anyone remember The ET Shops in Chicago & Addison Illinois? About 40+ years ago I lived in the Chicago area & worked at a gas station on Lake street, right across the road from the Addison store. Just about every Friday I’d cash my paycheck and go to the speed shop to see what I “needed” to buy. I remember buying a Zoom flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, Hurst shifter, Lakewood bellhousing, traction bars, etc. It was great being young with little responsibilities and spending money on speed parts.

The shop is long gone, but here’s a pic of a sticker on an old tool box of mine.

IMG_4331.JPG

2. That Addison address is now a mortgage company.

3. I grew up in Addison and remember very well going there with my older cousins when they needed parts. By the time I could drive we had moved to Naperville. That sticker brings back great memories. Thanks

Deuces and pprather like this.

4. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

You're welcome.

Deuces likes this.
  5. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Looking at google maps, the gas station I worked at is now a donut shop. Back then it was a little independently owned station with 2 pump islands. The one close to the building was full-service (2 or 3 cents extra per gallon) and the pump island further out was the “new fad”, self-service.

There was no such thing as “pay at the pump” back then. So if you wanted to save money you pumped your own gas and then walked to the building to pay. I remember working there one very cold Chicago winter with lake effect snow and wind colder than a witches t*t. We had a lot more full-service customers compared to warmer weather cause folks would rather pay extra then get out of their cars to pump gas, walk to the building to pay & walk back to their cars.

We get a major power outage about every 10 years here in Texas, but generally winters better.

Desoto291Hemi and pprather like this.
  6. Maybe one of the Dallas area guys will chime in but I thought we had some or one around here among all the other speed shops.....