Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nat's East......York

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcsfabrication, May 23, 2021.

1. ..........That's funny right there.:D:):D:)

2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, wasn't there a year when you brought TWO hot rods to York?

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

LouieMayall (2).jpg
    As this fine image from Louie Mayall shows, I did take a pair to York one year. And what a pair they were!!
    Both had real solid racing backgrounds spanning many years yet one had lived in PA while the other was always in GA! Yet, they looked like they went together... at least to me anyway!
    I was lucky, and I felt honored, to manage to acquire both hot rods. I loved owning them and sharing them with others. The big problem was the logistics involved in getting TWO vehicles to one event.
    I have to confess that I felt like the proverbial tall dog at the fire hydrant when I was flat towing the gasser behind the pickup as this great picture by Louie shows. Thanks again to Louie for taking and sharing the picture.
    DSC02107 (2).JPG
    Here they are early on Thursday at the host hotel. You can see our tent at far right along with the wagon and 32 chev coupe we brought that year.
    The good news about having such a high profile combination there is that it gets a lot of attention and many folks spend some time looking over every aspect of the combination and it is fun to share the history of both of them. Also, one guy in studying the pickup noticed that a rear wheel axle seal had failed!
    The next day, one of the hottest Saturdays ever, I fixed it by myself while my pals stayed cool under the tent.
    York2013fromHAMBb.jpg
    I used the gasser as a parts chaser... and a wicked one at times!!
    My pals were thinking that the guys at the repair shop were helping me and I was just fine. As I was wrapping it up I called on them for some help with the last step or two and they came a running as I knew they would.
    Once back at the tent, the boys made sure I got plenty of rest and kept passing cold beer and other refreshments... and fussing with me for not calling them sooner!!
    Memories!!
    Boy, I miss that old gasser and pickup. I also took them both to Baltimore later in the year and didn't have to work on either one! That got me my 15 minutes in The Rodders Journal.
    DRoddersJournalcropped.JPG
    I'm adding, I hope!, a cropped picture of my efforts to fix the truck. The picture was originally on the HAMB... thanks to whoever took it.
    York2013fromHAMBb (2).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  4. 5window

5window

Planning on York on Friday. And, although vaccinated, I will probably wear a mask inside because I am old! And, a medical man. Planning for any car show in PA involves taking warm and cold weather clothes, dry and wet weather protection and lots of water. No car this year, just gawking. If you haven't been there, they do sell beer! Not very good, but beer none the less.

5. Is there some kind of cruise one of the evenings?
    A local dude wants to know...

6. Lots of us cruise and do burnouts at certain spots both Friday and Saturday night.;) Weather predicts how cool it gets.:)

7. Al, I have seen your set up many times at York. Like Don I never interrupted but did share a cheerful hello several times. Hope to see you again.:)

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Fellas! You should have stopped in! We looked forward to meeting new folks as well as updates from old pals.
    Sarah ride on Sunday.jpg
    I even took some folks for a ride!!;);):D:D

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_2487.JPG
    Bobby also took some folks for a ride.;)
    One other thing about our trips to York... was the breakfast we had in Tappahannock, VA on the way.
    The specialty that I love is called eggs Chesapeake... dang thing is covered in crabmeat and is delicious!:)
    eggs chesapeake.jpg
    The food and, of course, the service:
    Eggs Chesapeake   Kelsey Aug trip.jpg
    Kelsey often took great care of us.:)

10. ^^^^Yummmm^^^^....That does look delicious.:D

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Don, if you are in southern MD Tappahannock might be halfway from Smithfield, VA.;)
    Wanna meet for breakfast? It's two hours from me but well worth the trip!:)
    Follow me back to Smithfield to see my toys and we can go get some ice cream!;):D:D
    IMG_3647 (2).JPG

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, If you do get a chance to meet up with Don, maybe you can help him out with his missing fog light;):D:D:D

13. .........That would indeed be fun, Al. We'll have to give some thought to the logistics........:)......Don.

14. I'm beginning to see what these hot rods are really about.:D;) Sarah ride on Sunday.jpg

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

What is it they say on the game shows? "Come on down!":D
    Don, I'd be happy to meet you and anybody else that would like to try a really great breakfast with great service in Tappahannock. Look up Java Jack's... it is actually on Route 17 as you go through Tappahannock. It's on the right going North and you turn onto a side street to get to the parking in the rear.;)
    The local paper had someone meet us one year to get some pictures... always friendly and fun.
    DSC02944.JPG
    Y'all think it over... I'm sure I'll have several fellas from my gang. You guys up Richmond way should look into a good route, too. We can make it a HAMB breakfast!!!:) But I'll be eating crabmeat on my eggs!:eek::D
    Don, pick a day during the week to give some of us something to do on a day other than on weekends.
    My birthday is next Monday.;):D:D When is yours?:D:D

16. Great bunch of hot rods, Al. I'll do a search for Java Jack's.:)

17. 5window

5window

The food looks pretty good,too! :)

18. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

For those of us who aren't yet retired, any one going up on Saturday? I'm happy to cruise up in my OT daily and be tail-end Charlie behind some cool wheels.

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6418.JPG
    IMG_6416.JPG
    IMG_6419.JPG
    IMG_6421.JPG
    Just got back from the York send off breakfast in Newport News, VA. Three other members joined us for a total of 8 guys. Boy, was it good to get so many members in one place!! Breakfast was good but the fellowship was outstanding! The other three had an appointment so quickly hustled off. These are the other four with very long attendance records... the new guy in the orange shirt has only been to 17!!! Of course it took a couple years to finally have a spot at the BnB so we could invite him!!
    I snapped the shot after telling them to all say, "Short cut!":D:D
    Only the pickup and the 39 cabriolet went on to York. Call me about the 32 chev coupe with a later model 6 cyl with split exhausts if you are interested.;) $24,000 and and I'll have him bring it back or drop it off to you!;):)
    Please, no calls about faxing me payment in cash!:eek::D:D
    I've got Don beating the drum to get guys to meet for breakfast in Tappahannock.:) Who up Richmond way will gather the guys up that way? It's okay to volunteer just this once.;):D
    All the best,
    Al

20. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If anyone wants to convoy up from NC via 81, I’m leaving tomorrow morning with fresh Rain X.

21. Back up.......Be safe everyone.

22. Yeah, I'll be there. But not driving a Hot Rod this year. I'll be riding with friends. So have a safe trip, and have lots of FUN !!! :)

23. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

20210603_071442.jpg After a year off, made it. Stop by and say hi.

mad mikey, jim snow, rbrewer and 4 others like this.
  24. Dang! Some guys have it ALL!! WOW! upload_2021-6-3_13-2-32.png

25. 5window

5window

The first rule of thumb when attending a Pennsylvania car event is to pack rain gear and dry socks. No matter what the weather forecast. Friends, money,camera, food, coffee, want-list, life-partner all can be nice, but dry socks are nicer. I mentioned life-partner because my wife won a $100 Speedway Gift Card-two years in a row. Just i time for Father's Day. See y'all tomorrow-rain is forecasted. :)

26. Pulling out at 6:30 AM headed to York. Should be a great weekend of hot rodding !! 187049394_10215350730960917_3116529814086045601_n.jpg

Hank37, jim snow, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  27. Rand Man

Rand Man

I lived in York back in ’96, and attended the Nats. Pretty good show. I remember there was an early Ford pickup for sale. What we would now call a barn find or survivor. Should have bought it and got a jump on this whole traditional hot rod thing.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Pic won't load, saw @tartruck 's truck, shouted hi to Andy V. as he drove past. Big turnout and walked the whole thing. Sore feet!
    Glad I went, damn shame not to since it's nearly in my backyard.

29. 5window

5window

Just got home and had a good time.The weather person was very wrong and it was hot and sunny. Admission is up-$17 for seniors but could still find free parking on Pennsylvania Avenue. A bigger flea market than usual and,I think more care tha, 2019. OTOH, there were lots of late models including at least two VW Beetles and the vendors inside the two exhibition halls absolutely sucked. You could put everybody in one side of one hall and still have room. I don't know if that is due to he pandemic, fees York charges, supplies chain issues of what. Still, take it in if you possibly can.

30. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Friday: 75 degrees, 85% humidity. Sweat. As usual, lots of very nice cars and trucks. Street rods to be sure, but plenty of traditional hot rods and a smattering of unrestored antiques. The swap meet was bigger than usual; and they pushed it away from the spectator parking to enlarge the auto cross track. That means long walks to hump your purchases back to your vehicle. The indoor vendor area was a big surprise, much smaller than previous years. Is it worth $17? Good question.

Attached Files: