Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found this in the oil galley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fabulous50's, May 25, 2021.

1. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

So now you guys have me wondering.

The jiggle pin, or better stated check valve, lets air/oil out but does not let it back in during shutdown. It is the highest point in the oiling system.

If I simply drill a hole it will let air in and oil will drain out of pretty much to the lowest point. Longer time during startups before oil is supplied to bearings.

If I simply plug it off completely there is a question about oil to the timing chain.

Remember my background us in OT German cars, all have overhead cam(s). So I'm not as familiar with timing chains orphaned by themselves in front of the block.

How does GM and Mopar oil the front chains? I know the FE is famous for oiling issues and I've drilled a drain back hole in the valley, as well as drilling the oil pump to filter housing passage to 7/16 and chamfered several passages to line up better.

I just as much oil to get through the convoluted passages around the cam bearings and make it the the mains as fast as possible on startup.

I'm now questioning if I'd be better off making my own jiggle pin for that main plug.

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You can leave it out or put it back in, either way. But if you decided to plug it, drill the little hole in the plug. Simple. The original jiggle pin would let air back in the galley! But air can also enter the oil system at the lifters, rods mains and other places.

Bones

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would think twice about using that big roller timing chain. They get real sloppy after a few thousand miles. Best to use the Morse type chain. They keep better timing..

4. Pontiac V8's are commonly modified with a hole drilled in the oil gallery plug for timing chain lube. Some super duty engines came with the hole from the factory as I understand it (I am no Pontiac expert) but it is recommended by many engine rebuilders. I don't think this will cause you bearing or lifter problems, I will attach a picture of the Pontiac mod. unnamed.jpg

Fabulous50's and Joe Travers like this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^"Pontiac mod" on a SBC roller block.^^^ Course they had become "corporate motors" by this time in history. I wonder how Ford arrived at the name Jiggle pin? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  6. Yeah, grabbed the photo off the interweb and it said "pontiac" , I didn't pay much attention cause it was the hole in the gallery plug I was talking about. Everything I have done in the past has been Ford or Chryslers, never any GM stuff. That engine could be a Messerschmidt for all I know!

Fabulous50's likes this.
  7. I have one better. I bought a '52 331 hemi in a basket from a classmate in high school in about 1964. When I was tearing it apart to check for damage and wear I pulled the plugs out of the 4 rocker arm shafts. They wer jam-packed full uf pure white silica sand! I was a teen and this was my first engine so I thought the sand might be some sort of speed secret. The parts were to spec, no wear, and the oil pump was like new. To this day I can't figure out what that was all about. I cleaned the parts and have been running them for 50 or so years. Anyone ever hear of something like this?

seb fontana and Fabulous50's like this.
  8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Do not know the answer to that one. I haven't run across one in the three FEs I've owned, '65 352, '66 390, '76 360. It serves two purposes, burp air, oil chain. Looks like you're installing upgraded parts that may or may not need it. The oil passages aren't going to change. That's a given.

Joe

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Fabulous50's likes this.
  9. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

So none of the FEs you've pulled apart have a different plug in that oil galley plug? All just have a regular plug in the end?

The link belt chain or silent chain as they are sometimes referred to was quite sloppy with less that 10,00p miles on it. I was told by my local engine machinist that link belts are known to get sloppy quickly. That a roller chain, like what a modern LS uses will last much longer. I know it was 3x the price of an OE style link belt. Both made by Cloyes.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Cloyes timing sets of old are not what they are selling today, some of their product line comes from "overseas", a sign of the times.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  11. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

None that I can remember. The '65 was a truck engine with a cam thrust plate. Not much help on upgrading cam and timing chain here, seeing you are using the later set-up. They are different. Hope your machinist is up on the changes. Not many are.

Joe

Fabulous50's likes this.
  12. birdman1

birdman1

Ford heavy duty truck engine used roller chain from the factory

seb fontana and Fabulous50's like this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Jiggle pin" was probably some body part nickname created by the wife of an FE designer, and he carried the phrase forward to the drafting table.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  14. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

And to think all these years I’ve been calling it the oil galley. I thought a gallery was either where you shot your pistol or looked at weird art. :D Not according to the Ford service manual.

nosford, Truck64 and Fabulous50's like this.
  15. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I paid the price for American Made, and that is what I recieved. I believe their cheaper stuff may be off shore. The billet steel stuff is made here. I actually emailed them before I bought it. I an generally very inquisitive about things like that.

nosford likes this.
  16. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

If that's a "jiggle-pin", what's holding the "wobble-shaft" in? I think you should check the block for a bullet hole...

17. Oneball

Oneball

Is there a consensus on what to do with this plug with the jiggle pin? Do I need a hole here?
    I’ve got one in mine, I was going to leave it but the oilways are so filthy I really ought to pull it to clean

IMG_6128.jpeg

18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

This is interesting. Does anyone have a photo of a good jiggle-pin and how it goes into the passage?

The whole thing reminds me of the big cotter pin in the bottom of the clutch cover on my buddy’s flathead. ???

seb fontana likes this.