Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead Head Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Hey all, looking for some help identifying these aluminum heads which I got in a speed parts clean out a few weeks ago. It's possible they are just generic as I do not see any brand identification. They look to be pre finished as in they were cast, threaded but never finished the final exterior sanding to remove casting marks which I think is pretty cool. Anyways I'm curious if anyone has seen another set like these.

Flathead 2.jpg flathead 1.jpg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be Canadian heads that someone ground the ford logo and cast numbers from.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Look like early thickstun to me , also used in boats and had a press on finned cover at times to keep water out.

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

6. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I did check that idea already...they are different looking, the do appear to be Thickstun maybe very early ones

7. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Just finished up the 14 pages, so awesome the head variations

squirrel likes this.
  8. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Not sure how that relates to my question but thanks for pointing out what's easily seen.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  9. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

So I received a response from Iron Trap on the Flatspot, they are smoothed Thickstun. Now to figure out what to do with them, wall hangers, keep them as is and run them in the future or finish the smoothing process and polish them up?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  10. Cool....and it's not that strange guys were grounding the after market equipment logo's off - they wanted it to look sooo stock when you opened the hood - it was no different through the years.