Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935-40 Ford X Member measurements Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldfordandy, May 30, 2021.

1. oldfordandy

oldfordandy

Hi
    After some help on measurements, my 1938 Ford Coupe X Member and box that the wishbone ball fits into have rotted away and I'm concerned the X member rails may have dropped. I've looked at diagrams for 35 to 40 years but the ones I've found don't display the measurements I'm after. When I put a level across the outer frame rails in line with the front of the center box the gap is around an inch, I have a body mount kit and one of the rubbers is about this size so not sure if gap is correct or not. Also when you look side view on frame how much does the X member hang down below the outer rails?

I have had some info. from other sources stating centre box changed between years and the gap might be different for models but would really like to know before I weld in new box and rails.

Cheers...

Attached Files:

• s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      218.7 KB
      Views:
    • s11.jpg
      s11.jpg
      File size:
      291.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

I get pretty much the same measurement (just under 1 inch) on a straight and solid 1935 Ford frame. Measurement taken at the center piece same as in you pictures. 1935 Ford - center X-member measurement.JPG

Algoma56 likes this.
  3. oldfordandy

oldfordandy

Great Thanks, that really helps. Braced frame today ready to cut out the rot tomorrow.

4. sdluck

sdluck