Register now to get rid of these ads!

1922 Model T Camper Van

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Petejoe, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool article.
    Old school camper vans are very rare, as they are a relatively new trend, and this Ford model is truly mind-blowing. The model T van camper dates to 1922, and this camper listed online was reconditioned to look just like in its good days. The full refurbishing includes new pistons, metal bearings in the engine, electric ignition, and self-start. The outside also looks impeccable, and its interior was finished with solid oak, insulated sides, and a beautifully reconditioned ash frame. And the camper is just like the modern-day ones, as it features a sink, toilet, and stainless-steel water tanks. The camper’s durability is also thanks to the high-quality materials used in the original design, as it wasn’t hard to re-establish its good looks. The camper has a two-speed rear axle and can reach up to 40 mph.

upload_2021-6-2_9-6-17.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-2_9-6-48.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-2_9-7-31.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-2_9-8-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-2_9-9-27.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-2_9-10-20.jpeg
    Ford model T camper van first registered 1922. This amazing camper has been completely rebuilt, new pistons and white metal bearings in the engine gearbox overhaul, true fire electric ignition and electric self start. Fitted with a new body and solid oak interior, insulated sides and a new ash frame. This is fitted with a cooker sink and toilet and stainless steel water tank. This is a proper commercial chassis with a Ruckstall two speed rear axle and could be capable of 40 mph with a brave driver! upload_2021-6-2_9-11-0.jpeg

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope its got Rocky Mountain brakes or an anchor and long chain to stop.:cool:

Petejoe, 2935ford and Tman like this.
  3. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

40 mph in that thing with no front brakes [​IMG] !!??

4. You have to remember in those days front brakes were not often heard of.o_O Just because it could go 40 MPH does not mean there were any roads capable of attaining those speeds.:D

LOST ANGEL likes this.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I coasted my T bucket down a hill with NO brakes. I might have been going about 40. I tell ya, I was looking at everything trying to find the softest thing to hit. Not a fun day.

That camper, looks way cool. But I'd rather not drive an hour to get to the edge of town, then 4 more hours to camp somewhere that my daily could have taken me in an hour

VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

That T camper is so cool. Since we are talking brakes, how about this set up? Scan-210602-0001.jpg

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Hmmmmmm "for display only" comes to mind! :)

warhorseracing likes this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Very cool, Petejoe, did you modify the rear suspension to handle the extra weight? I see you are from Ohio, any chance that the T will be on the show field at HERSHEY?

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

This reminds me, a while back Moose photoshopped a picture of a friend's stalled T project. camper.jpg

moparboy440 and Dean Lowe like this.
  10. The Model T had a brake band in the transmission that worked in conjunction with the rear brakes, if adjusted properly. I made some 80 mph passes in my T Speedster at Portland International Raceway and getting her whoed down wasn't a problem. And, no, it was not stock!

11. Original t only has a transmission brake , rear drum is for parking brake only , but there were kits available for auxiliary brakes that went around the outside of the parking brake drum that did work in conjunction with the trans .mission brake .Setting them up to work together is tricky .The transmission brake will lock up the rear wheels and stall the car .
    Been there done that !!!

VANDENPLAS and lurker mick like this.
  12. Oh and cool camper too , too windy a day may make it a handful to drive too

13. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I like it. I would not drive it but I like it.

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not mine. I believe it was made in England.