Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on 1959 or 1960 El camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair_54, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Boatmark

Boatmark

My preference would be the 59' - but like many here I think it would be which was in better condition, or I could make the best deal. I've always thought a 59' with the front clip from a 60' would be cool.

2. I like the '59 with a '59 Pontiac clip. The '59 with the '59 Pontiac clip reminds me of an owl. ;)

young'n'poor and Moondog13 like this.
  3. I've had both of them and at the same time, I sold the '59. I like the rocket and the sharper line of the '60.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

(W)hoo?? (W)hoo??

5. :D Always had a soft spot for the owl café in Cloverdale. They had good pie. ;)

6. I'm biased! I used to own this one. Go 59! IM000576 (Medium).JPG

clunker and chevy57dude like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

The '59 seems more popular and would probably bring more money in a resale, assuming condition of both was identical. But I'd rather have a solid '60 than a rusty '59, as they are difficult cars to fix, rust-damage wise.

Scooterville likes this.
  8. [​IMG]
    This one's got a Pontiac ass end, too!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  9. Scooter, that one would have been hard to part with.

10. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yep, me to, I owned one as well. Nice examples are out of reach for me now.

[​IMG]

Scooterville likes this.
  11. Yeah, I was dumb and sold it in 2005. At least I know the new owner. Maybe I'll get lucky and buy it back one of these days.

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

that combo is one of my "won the lottery and gonna go nuts" daydreams

and this example takes it even further!

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My Dad bought a 59 El Camino back in 1975. He paid $200 for it. One owner, original gold on gold, 3 on the tree, with a 235. It was in nice condition. He gave it to my brother, who drove it daily for 2 years and then he sold it and bought a 66 El Camino.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  14. I went the other direction. I went from a 66 El Camino in '95 and then to a 59 El Camino in 2002. :)

jcmarz likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ah yes, the Redwood Run?

Anyway, if you're going George Jetson go all the way.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a 59 for a couple of years that I bought in 1970 and it had rust issues in the floorboards behind the seat then. One of my favorites of all the rides I've had though.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

How many licks did it take to eat the pie:p

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I've owned a 59 for 26 years. Just got back today from Hot Rod reunion today. Most fun car i have ever had. Really would like to get another. I did get a lead on a 60 this weekend. And for those who do not know the Pontiac version is a concept that Pontiac built. But some folks did put those front-ends on them.I think its the shorter wheelbase pont.???
    any way 22,000 + of the 59 made and 16,000 of the 60..either will be a heck of a lot of fun!!

19. I'd rather have the old cat eye'd 59 if I had my druthers...but condition could sway me.

20. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

That 59 looks sweet this is what I ended up getting its got a 327 with 3 speed column shift I will probably leave it the way it is patina and all that. Fix up any rust doesn't seem to bad quarters are bubbling, maybe lower the front a bit more.

s-l1600.jpg

Scooterville and Moondog13 like this.
  21. If the quarters are bubbling that patina is going to go away. But as it is in the pics its not a bad looking car.

I actually worked on a pair a'59 and a '60 a few years back. I ended up building a real '59 Corvette motor for the '59 an the '60 ended up with an LS. Like 'em both but I was real partial to the five nine for obvious reasons.

22. Both are nice. But my favorite is the 59! It's the fins and cat eye tail lights.
    I'd go shiny black with black steelies and small moons......

Keep us posted.......................

Scooterville likes this.
  23. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I turned 60 last year, & bought an El Camino born the same year as me... not sure which is more worn out after 60 years...

anyway, this is mine...

[​IMG]
    I did a little work on the interiour last year...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    impala4speed and harpo1313 like this.
  24. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

but the problem with previous cosmetic surgery is...
    I'm still getting my hands dirty...
    didn't like the steel diamond plate in the bed, & the way it "crunched" when I walked on it...
    easy to see why... after I removed the diamond plate...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but it's getting better, & I'm still cruising while I work on it...
    [​IMG]
    the reason they rust so bad back there is the sub frame is all bent sheet metal channels, open to the top so they fill with dirt, & hold water until they rust out... plus 2 layers of steel, are never good as it traps & holds moisture, even from the car wash, since I try to limit how wet it gets
    [​IMG]

impala4speed likes this.
  25. The smuggler compartment under the bed front was a rust generator too. They rushed into production to compete with the Ranchero so just took a station wagon platform and bolted on pickup sheet metal. Thus the two-layer construction. We killed the rust on the main floor of our Elky then bolted in a tigerwood floor. P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG IMG_4935.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010009.JPG

26. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Either one is cool. Love the cat's eye look of the '59's, but for me, if I had a choice, I
    would buy the '60. Just me.

My best friend's dad had a '60 back in 1965, and my buddy sold the accessory side rails to a
    guy for $5 so we could grab some burgers. His dad came out about a week later, cussing to
    himself that someone had stolen the rails right off the car. My friend was the same guy
    who used to steal the new spare tires from behind the driver's seat and sell them for $5 for
    gas. Fun times.

27. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

That looks really nice... & I'm partial to that color as well :D

mine will be 3/16" flat sheet, with a Spray in bed liner, & I'll be using the stainless strips from the wood bed kits ( actually I can get them undrilled, so I can use screws & spacing of my choice ) they'll be spaced about like a wood bed, but will also be on the tailgate...
    thinking the long "chrome" ( polished stainless ) strips will look nice against the black bedliner, that pretty much matches the car, with the spears & jet chrome on the sides of the car...
    the "smugglers compartments" will be a pair of coolers... I just finished fiberglassing the whole section, to keep the metal from getting wet, added a divider sheet between sides, so one could be warm, & one cold, or one beer, & the other sodas & water... next is the spray on foam, then the foam will be covered with bed liner to improve the durability... a couple boat parts are finding their way in... you can see the o-ring boat hatch in one of the pictures ( there will be 2 ), & a pair of duck bill drains, got some stainless bling, & have drains in both compartments...
    [​IMG]
    Ready for foam insulation... pictured with the stainless screen covered drain valves...
    [​IMG]

28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Who cares, they're both extremely magnificent cars..

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  29. I've had both. My 59 was nicer and I liked it better. Great driver with 350/700R4. Also had disc brakes with dropped spindles and later model P/S box. The 60 was more of a beater, 5 shades of primer grey. Both got a lot of attention. Each was a daily driver for about 2 years each.

30. Both have their good and bad points. 59-60 Chevrolet is my favorite car period, but i like the 60 hood best.