Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Buick Sedanette Mild Custom Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rockable, Mar 16, 2019.

1. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my state, if the vehicle is over ten years old the odometer is irrelevant, no mileage statement required. It's common to have a rebuilt speedo reset to zero when they're rebuilt or restored, or to request a certain mileage on it. Besides speedos are replaced all the time and the replacements are at zero.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no problem in NC. The guy just forgot to do it. He corrected it easily enough.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, crap! I'm kind of stalled out right now. Engine parts taking at least a month to arrive. Upholsterer is waiting on parts to finish the job ahead of me. So I decided to polish stainless this week. After working to get set up and polishing a couple of side spear pieces, I discovered that most of the other pieces were "flash plated" with chrome, i.e. no copper just thin chrome coating on top of the stainless.

Apparently this was done quite a bit to give the trim more durability and shine. What this means is my chrome bill just grew again. Ouch! Oh well, it will look good when I'm done.....whenever that is. :rolleyes:

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me a long time to find all the missing trim pieces for my 49 Sedanette. I still look for them at swap meets even though I have a complete set now. It's been 3-4 years since I found any. When I first sent a couple of pieces out to a polisher he polished through the crown on one of the side pieces. I found a different polisher for the other pieces. Interestingly enough all the pieces I initially chose to have straightened and polished were stainless but when I started to polish some backup pieces myself they turned out to be chromed over as you discovered on your pieces. But there was a layer of copper under the chrome on mine. I don't know if GM used several different processes for the trim or if some of it had been redone later.

EBW, chryslerfan55, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, Walt. I've got all the pieces but Jesus my chrome bill is going to be off the charts. Everything is bigger and there is more of it on these cars. I really had to scrounge to find better door latches. BJR was nice enough to offer me one gratis, but USPS lost it. I've learned that these latches are basically one year only. God help me if anything happens to this car after I get it together. My Hagerty bill is going up but I'm going to be covered.

How are you? Getting settled in the new digs? Are you done with your Buick? Hope to see you on the road sometime this year.

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It hit me this morning. The ONLY thing on this car that is assembled is the rear axle. Can't reassemble the engine until I get parts and machining. Transmission is disassembled, waiting on my buddy to help me. The whole body, seats, EVERYTHING is disassembled. Sure would like to get started in the other direction soon. :D:rolleyes:

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, since everything else is on hold, I thought I'd get all my engine parts ready and do a little planning for it. 455 Buick engines are not "traditional looking" enough to suit me. So, I scrounged around on the V8Buick forum and a guy sold me a set of old, discontinued Edelbrock finned valve covers. They were pretty rough but the price was right. (Once guy had a mint, polished pair that he wanted $1,200 for. No.)

So, I took these to my powder coater and he worked a miracle on them, as well as my intake, timing cover, oil pump housing, brackets, oil pan, pulleys, etc. These valve covers and other aluminum parts look better than new and the upkeep will be minimal now, as opposed to raw aluminum. I'm thinking a chrome batwing air cleaner will give this 455 a convincing "old school" look. What do you think? 455 valve covers 1.jpg 455 valve covers 2.jpg 455 Intake.jpg 455 black parts.jpg 455 silver parts.jpg

8. I think that they will surely make a big difference in the engine bay. Can't wait to see that engine all together as well as the car.

loudbang, Thor1 and rockable like this.
  9. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Very very nice work.

loudbang and rockable like this.
  10. 58prostreet

58prostreet

Think it will be very tasteful. Not too much bling, just neat and clean.
    Traceys Dad

rockable and loudbang like this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Bob. Hope you're doing well.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The weather was nice today, so I did something I've been putting off. I sandblasted my gas tank. I hate sandblasting but its still the easiest and most effective way of stripping old steel parts. This is the original fuel tank and it looks brand new on the inside. Remarkable for 72 years old!
    0225211046_HDR.jpg 0225211139.jpg

swade41, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  13. igorsgonemadd

igorsgonemadd

Anything new on this?

14. Lots of great work, is it a sign that this thread was on top of the page and I happen to be considering looking at a 49 ???

20210529_123346.jpg Screenshot_20210528-182559_Facebook.jpg

chryslerfan55, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the Buick is going to the paint shop week after next!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Th
    That is a 50, but still cool.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. I don't know the intricacies of the years, just like the body lines, but I see that the listing has been changed from a 49 to a 50 this morning, so never mind my previous post.

rockable, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  18. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Just take a look in traffic or drive past a car dealer. New cars have all the appeal of doing a load of laundry

rockable and Hang'emHigh like this.
  19. EBW

EBW

I just stumbled onto this build. Very nice and I'm a bit biased as I am also working on a 49 Sedanete. I had to buy a donor 49 4 door just for some of the one year only parts, so I feel your pain. Your build gives me motivation to work on mine.

Thor1 and rockable like this.
  20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve Gibson and I are back at it! There is a LOT of sanding require on a car this big and one with so many pieces! We hope to get the main body parts painted next week. Woo Hoo! 0609211616a.jpg 0609211616.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Engine parts are back from the machine shop. Everything is happening at the same time. Go figure.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

“If it ain’t one thing, it’s another”………..Roseann Roseannadanna

;)

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"It's always something!"

loudbang likes this.
  24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. loudbang

loudbang

That little sneak preview looks good. :)

rockable and Thor1 like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow, that pops!

rockable, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  27. I am not a fan of blue but that color pops!

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's gonna be a stunner!! Lippy

rockable, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

I hear ya! I got my Buick back after decades. I have done lots to it, but at the same time, I'm getting my engine rebuilt for my Model A, and refreshing my old Shovelhead. I'm feeling spread out too thin.

rockable and loudbang like this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My 47 is an old turd, but it would be a massive job to restore! IMG_4894.JPG